• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dylan Bundy Highlights - Arsenal

Chuck

Bundy doesn't throw 100 mph anymore like he did in his early career, but he hits 93-94 on the gun and his offspeed stuff is really good. Here's hoping Callaway can help him improve. 

Annotation 2019-12-04 140819.png

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=12917&position=P&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2017&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

vs. Houston Astros

vs. Oakland A's

vs. Cleveland Indians

vs. Boston Red Sox

A few other things that I like about Bundy are:

1. He's got some swing and miss in his arsenal (more K's than IP last season)

2. He's young (27) and controllable for two more years. 

3. He's been durable. Averaging 29.7 starts over the past three seasons. 

4. He's not pitching in the AL East anymore which hosted stadiums that give up a TON of home runs, including his home park at Camden Yards. Going to the AL West should help him with the HR ball considerably. 

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I'd still prefer Cole + someone else.  Ohtani, IMO, will probably only be good for ~80-100 innings this year.

Cole, Ryu, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Bundy.  That's a really strong rotation, made even stronger by having Sandoval, Barria, and Suarez in AAA as depth (or the pen).  We'd be 9 SPs "deep."

Yeah, if the Angels are going with a 6-man rotation in 2020 (that is TBD the last time I checked), I think they'll sign a guy like Ryu, Madbum or Teheran in addition to Cole. 

I'd be happy with that scenario. 

Like @totdprods I'd also be up for trading Marsh+ for Contreras and Darvish. Cole, Ohtani, Darvish, Heaney, Bundy and Canning would be sick.

Ohtani would also have a teammate to speak in Japanese with besides his interpreter, and I'm sure they'd like to best each other on teammates as well.  

37 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, if the Angels are going with a 6-man rotation in 2020 (that is TBD the last time I checked), I think they'll sign a guy like Ryu, Madbum or Teheran in addition to Cole. 

Like @totdprods I'd also be up for trading Marsh+ for Contreras and Darvish. Cole, Ohtani, Darvish, Heaney, Bundy and Canning would be sick.

Ohtani would also have a teammate to speak in Japanese with besides his interpreter, and I'm sure they'd like to best each other on teammates as well.  

I vaguely remember a report out there when Ohtani was being courted that he preferred to not have Japanese teammates. I almost feel like it would force him to acclimate better to a new country and team by learning the language and the culture without interference. To his credit, his teammates have really rallied around him and supposedly he does speak English well just not in interviews.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

A few other things that I like about Bundy are:

1. He's got some swing and miss in his arsenal (more K's than IP last season)

2. He's young (27) and controllable for two more years. 

3. He's been durable. Averaging 29.7 starts over the past three seasons. 

4. He's not pitching in the AL East anymore which hosted stadiums that give up a TON of home runs, including his home park at Camden Yards. Going to the AL West should help him with the HR ball considerably. 

5. After dropping the 4 seamer, his GB/FB ratio was around 1/1 post-ASB, and allowed just 8 HRs post-ASB.    That was much better than pre-ASB.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Or sign Yamaguchi instead of trading for Darvish, too much concern about Darvish's durability with $81 million still due him.   Plus, the Halos then keep Adell AND Marsh.   Trout, Adell, and Marsh OF soon, should be fun to watch.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, LetsGoHalos said:

I vaguely remember a report out there when Ohtani was being courted that he preferred to not have Japanese teammates. I almost feel like it would force him to acclimate better to a new country and team by learning the language and the culture without interference. To his credit, his teammates have really rallied around him and supposedly he does speak English well just not in interviews.

People speculated that he might prefer to be the only Japanese player -- not once has he actually been quoted as saying that was actually the case.

14 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

is Eppler stil Crazy about spin rate or not?

Bundy has a pretty good Spin rate on his Fb, Slider and Curve. 

I think we can get Bundy to Average 92=93  on the Fb, with his filthy slide and change, it's be a good trade. 

He's likely one of those guys that needs to stop throwing some pitches and focus on the ones that he actually gets outs with.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's likely one of those guys that needs to stop throwing some pitches and focus on the ones that he actually gets outs with.

I have a good feeling that we're going to see some good results from pitchers of ours who struggled with Doug White, and quite possibly Callaway has a positive impact on our newbs like Bundy as well. 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I have a good feeling that we're going to see some good results from pitchers of ours who struggled with Doug White, and quite possibly Callaway has a positive impact on our newbs like Bundy as well. 

I hope you are right. If Callaway can improve out existing staff even just a little it will be a big improvement for us.

Waiting for the next pitcher to be signed....

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but one of the best things about the Bundy trade is it frees up Eppler to be a lot more opportunistic on the second impact addition we make this winter. 

The only moves Eppler must make this winter are down to:

• sign a #1 SP (Cole, Strasburg, maybe Ryu or Bumgarner)
  • Sign a vet catcher or two (Avila, Castro, Maldonado, Phegley, Chirinos, Maile, Plawecki, Romine)

From there, with Bundy now aboard, he can be a little more patient and opportunistic with the one other likely big acquisition they make. He can be opportunistic. He won't have to overpay for a second FA SP or in trade. Those options...

• Wait out the market for the remaining top arms, Bumgarner or Ryu, and see if by chance he can slip in
  • Wait out the secondary FA SP market, and get the best deal on Keuchel, Pineda, Wood, Teheran, Porcello, Roark, Perez, Hill, Wacha
  • Wait and see which bargains are avail late in winter - Gio, Miley, Bailey, Nova, Nelson, Moore, Smyly, Gausman, Ross, Chacin, Walker
  • Watch how the other FA SP dominoes fall, and see if trade prices come down for guys like Ray, Boyd, Archer, Kluber, Cubs SP
  • Keep tabs on the IF FA market, and see if a good value deal comes along for Castellanos, Gregorius, Hernandez, Frazier, FGranco, , Castro, Kendrick, Cabrera, Thames, Shaw, Flores, Schoop, Zobrist, Peraza, Panik, Travis, Gennett, Sanchez, Iglesias, Sogard, Santana...there is an insane amount of FA IFs out there who could be decent pick-ups. Donaldson or Rendon too, but unlikely they stick around long.
    • And, should we sign a FA IF, it increases possibility of a SP trade with IF prospects
  • Value one-year deals in RF, such as Souza, Pillar, Kole, Gardner, Jones, Garcia, Chisenhall, with Goodwin becoming trade bait
  • Focus on the pen, with numerous arms still available, Kintzler, Betances, Parker, McHugh, Rondon, Harris, Erlin, Ramos, Buchter, Claudio, Liriano, Cingrani, Reed, etc.
  • Or like you mentioned, a bigger, blockbuster deal with multiple moving parts and additions, because those deals are a little easier to make as winter drags on and teams start to see what other value moves they can make

10 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Dylan Bundy is good and improves the rotation. Just another trash pitcher to eat innings. 

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking there’s no value in an innings eater at the back of the rotation.  
Conspiracy theorists calling MLB players trash will never not be ironic and funny to me.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking there’s no value in an innings eater at the back of the rotation.  
Conspiracy theorists calling MLB players trash will never not be ironic and funny to me.  

Yeah I won’t understand the complaints with an arm like this when we’ve had, what, maybe four or five pitchers make it through a complete season (and maybe only once a piece) the last four years?