• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dylan Bundy Highlights - Arsenal

Chuck

31 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Inning eaters do not win games

The definition of an innings eater is a guy who can give you 6-7 innings and besides the occasional steller outing, he'll hold the opposition to 3-4 earned runs over the majority of his starts. 

Oh and yes, there will be some bad outings too, but there's a bunch more QS's and solid performances over the bad ones.

We didn't have many of these guys in 2019. Canning maybe before he got hurt. Same with Heaney.

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I have a good feeling that we're going to see some good results from pitchers of ours who struggled with Doug White, and quite possibly Callaway has a positive impact on our newbs like Bundy as well. 

I have been saying I expect improvement from pretty much all the SP but yeah -- adding Callaway is more than likely going to be a big boost. 

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have been saying I expect improvement from pretty much all the SP but yeah -- adding Callaway is more than likely going to be a big boost. 

IP, what does Callaway actually bring to the table?  I'm sincerely curious because people keep saying he's going to make a difference and I'd like to know specifics of how? I know Cleveland had a good staff when he was there, but I don't know what he did specifically to make them better.

32 minutes ago, True Grich said:

IP, what does Callaway actually bring to the table?  I'm sincerely curious because people keep saying he's going to make a difference and I'd like to know specifics of how? I know Cleveland had a good staff when he was there, but I don't know what he did specifically to make them better.

He was such a well-regarded and respected pitching coach that a team was willing to give him a shot as manager. Doesn’t happen terribly often for pitching coaches. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He was such a well-regarded and respected pitching coach that a team was willing to give him a shot as manager. Doesn’t happen terribly often for pitching coaches. 

Yeah, I get that... but I'd really like to know more about WHAT makes him such a good pitching coach.

24 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'd rather get an eight paragraph explanation from you. 😋

Besides, I was asking IP!

This is probably more info than anyone here can possibly give you...   https://www.mlb.com/news/indians-credit-mickey-callaway-for-turnaround-c259346800

Beyond what those under his watch have said -- Callaway was a pitching prospect that didnt make it.   Like guys that never were able to hit, he likely tried everything he could to get better -- so, he knows what's working and what isn't and can help guys focus on the things that will work.

I think that was the issue with Doug White.  He was a computer, he knew facts but not how to convey the message.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is probably more info than anyone here can possibly give you...   https://www.mlb.com/news/indians-credit-mickey-callaway-for-turnaround-c259346800

Beyond what those under his watch have said -- Callaway was a pitching prospect that didnt make it.   Like guys that never were able to hit, he likely tried everything he could to get better -- so, he knows what's working and what isn't and can help guys focus on the things that will work.

I think that was the issue with Doug White.  He was a computer, he knew facts but not how to convey the message.

Good stuff...

"You could see it from the get-go, just the confidence that he exuded through coaching," Tomlin said on Sunday night. " He kind of has an overall view on how to use a scouting report and use the information that he was given to kind of tailor-make it for each guy on the staff, especially the starting rotation."

During that five-year stretch, the Indians also led the AL in strikeouts (7,248) and did so on an average of 16.1 pitches per inning (tied for the fewest in the AL).
"That's one thing Mickey harped on," Tomlin said. "Mickey would talk about, 'Do not shy away from contact, because all you guys have good enough stuff to get people out in the strike zone. So, do not shy away from it. Then, you're going to get more 0-1, 1-2 counts where batters are defensive, and you can get them to swing out of the zone eventually.'"

"The first thing that I noticed when the season started our first year was his level of confidence," Francona said. "It seemed to me that it exceeded his experience. Then, as you watch him and you're with him every day, you see that that confidence allowed him to have other voices, and get input from other people, and sift through that and take what he wanted. But my goodness, he had such an impact on the pitching staff." 

Thanks, IP!!

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There's a link embedded in that story that opens a much longer interview with Josh Tomlin. Some great quotes in here: https://bastian.mlblogs.com/he-does-whatever-it-takes-e05fcc4d46b8 

16 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's likely one of those guys that needs to stop throwing some pitches and focus on the ones that he actually gets outs with.

He did stop throwing the 4 seamer, the big gopher ball pitch for him.    It's encouraging that his post-ASB ERA was just 4.30 (just 8 HRs allowed in 67 innings).