• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels decline Kole Calhoun’s option

mmc

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

We hit 220 home runs last season which was 12 home runs below the league average at 232. Now let’s take those 33 Calhoun home runs off the board.

But we need pitching.

so if we replaced Albert, you'd be worried about replacing his 23 hrs all of a sudden?

how about if we replace Kole's production regardless of the number of hrs he hit.  

and btw, Brian Goodwin had a 109 wRC+.  Kole's was 108.  Plus, Goodwin's defense is RF was solid.  Oh and Goodwin is super cheap and mostly a placeholder for Adell.  

7 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Some team is going to overpay for Calhoun. Just because he had those 30 plus home runs. In a way where the baseballs are flying out. So 30 home runs this past season ain’t saying much. 

that's exactly why someone's NOT going to overpay for him and why we were smart not to.  

someone might give him 2/14 which seems fair.  Frankly, though, I don't see his next deal getting over that.  

18 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What do you honestly see as being a return for him at the break?

I was hoping maybe we could get a pitching prospect. It was so obvious we wouldn't be picking up his option, there are less expensive options in-house.

Fairly certain I posted that a few times.

But, the Angels hadn't yet been numerically eliminated, "fragile clubhouse," etc.

It's also possible that no playoff teams needed/wanted him.

In any case we have to pay $1 million to watch him walk away.

Upton has a full no trade clause.  Add his injuries and performance last year and that made it even less likely he gets moved unless it was a salary swap or the Angels included money in any such deal.  At best I think the Angels would get an extremely low level prospect for Calhoun but I really don't think there was interest as far as another team paying him a few million over the last few months of the season then another 1M to buy him out.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was hoping maybe we could get a pitching prospect. It was so obvious we wouldn't be picking up his option, there are less expensive options in-house.

But, the Angels hadn't yet been numerically eliminated, "fragile clubhouse," etc.

@Jeff Fletcher insinuated as much.  

30 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

so if we replaced Albert, you'd be worried about replacing his 23 hrs all of a sudden?

how about if we replace Kole's production regardless of the number of hrs he hit.  

and btw, Brian Goodwin had a 109 wRC+.  Kole's was 108.  Plus, Goodwin's defense is RF was solid.  Oh and Goodwin is super cheap and mostly a placeholder for Adell.  

Albert is dead money. Cole could’ve and should’ve been moved by Eppler last season. He has value and could’ve got us a prospect. 

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

The brilliant Yankees traded for Encarnacion Then decided to not to pick up his option and exercised his $5 million buyout. 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's funny, is that even though Calhoun had "no value" some here still want him on the team.

I'm about to make a stellar point here

I think people would love to keep Kole for another year, just not for $14 million. 7-8 million, maybe. 

He has more value to the Angels than on the trade market.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's funny, is that even though Calhoun had "no value" some here still want him on the team.

If the Nick Castellanos trade is any sort of barometer then we can say his trade value was meh at best....  But that may have been enough to satisfy your desire for a pitching prospect.

At least you had an opinion on it at the time.