• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rob Manfred, Call your office

yk9001

To be fair, people are selfish. Their fantasy teams are in closely contested matchups, and so they eagerly tune in to Sunday night football to find out if they've won our lost. But their fantasy baseball season have long since ended. So the World Series doesn't matter to them nearly as much, not unless they live in the Eastern half of the country. 

The best possible thing that could happen for major league baseball is if the World Series is between the Yankees and Cubs, because that's where more money will be made. That's why I honestly don't trust MLB or the umps. If one team winning and another loses and it makes the business money, it only makes sense that they'd try to make sure a certain outcome comes to fruition. MLB has money on the line, why wouldn't they want the Yankees or Red Sox to win? How often does a team get screwed when visiting Boston or New York?

But back to the issue at hand, it makes perfect sense that Sunday Night Football has more viewers than Game 5. It's a more nationally compelling contest.

Edited by Second Base

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The sad part is that its been a great series. Football is more popular, but this is a great series.

Meh, the first two games were pretty good up until the Nats blew it open in Game 2 but the last 3 games were decided quite early and were pretty boring.

There’s been no need to watch a 9th inning in this series since game 1

7 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Meh, the first two games were pretty good up until the Nats blew it open in Game 2 but the last 3 games were decided quite early and were pretty boring.

There’s been no need to watch a 9th inning in this series since game 1

For me, the pitching matchups alone are exciting

57 minutes ago, nate said:

The SNF pregame is 15 minutes and the game starts at 7:15, I think those ratings are pretty misleading, just people turning it on early.

It was also a really big game this week - Packers/Chiefs.

It's longer than that and the 1pm PST games didn't go long Sunday. The game ended up being good and close, but even as a Chiefs fan I bet against them and know many didn't care about the game because KC had a back up QB in there.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

The stupid Sunday Night Football pregame show walloped the World Series.

sunday-night-football-ratings-dominate-w

Good news is that the World Series dominated the ratings over God Friended Me.

I'll be honest, I thought game 5 was Sunday but not certain and didn't even know or see the score until late in the night. I saw zero commercials or advertising for the game on Sunday. I didn't even know it was played until after.

Honestly, either the baseball season is too long, or the playoffs extend too far after the season. I wish the World Series was earlier in the month. Most of our minds rolls over to the NFL the more October goes on. Baseball is my favorite sport by a mile but it shouldn't be going into November.

3 minutes ago, John Taylor said:

Honestly, either the baseball season is too long, or the playoffs extend too far after the season. I wish the World Series was earlier in the month. Most of our minds rolls over to the NFL the more October goes on. Baseball is my favorite sport by a mile but it shouldn't be going into November.

agreed. cut the season back to 154 games and let the playoffs begin the last week of september.

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It's longer than that and the 1pm PST games didn't go long Sunday. The game ended up being good and close, but even as a Chiefs fan I bet against them and know many didn't care about the game because KC had a back up QB in there.

The chart says 8-8:15 so that is the only reason I said it.

I can see that KC fans might not have paid close attention but it probably attracted a broader audience since it is two power house teams.  But I don't know NFL ratings enough to know if that's true.

KC got hosed and should have won if not for the officials.

37 minutes ago, Second Base said:

To be fair, people are selfish. Their fantasy teams are in closely contested matchups, and so they eagerly tune in to Sunday night football to find out if they've won our lost. But their fantasy baseball season have long since ended. So the World Series doesn't matter to them nearly as much, not unless they live in the Eastern half of the country. 

Using this rationale you could say the same thing about every NFL game which beats out ____ in the ratings.  Despite the fact that an actual NFL game involves ~10 minutes of action, the ridiculous rules and bogus penalties/non-penalties the NFL dominates in viewership.  In 2018 40 of the top 50 US sports audiences were watching NFL games and not one of the top 50 was an MLB, NHL or NBA game.  Like Brandon with Mahomes out I was in no hurry to turn the TV on Sunday night to watch the game.  

13 minutes ago, nate said:

The chart says 8-8:15 so that is the only reason I said it.

I can see that KC fans might not have paid close attention but it probably attracted a broader audience since it is two power house teams.  But I don't know NFL ratings enough to know if that's true.

KC got hosed and should have won if not for the officials.

Yeah, you're usually right and even then it probably wasn't too far off, time wise. I usually visit my grandparents on Sunday and they exclusively watch the Red Zone channel and I remember the games ending earlier than usual.....or rather, they didn't run as long before the 5:20 PST kickoff.

I too don't know shit about ratings, but it looks like the game still had a high pull. Even with a backup in there this country loves its NFL even with all the bullshit calls/non-calls where there seems to be a flag every play. It was the only game over the weekend sporting two first place teams against each other, so I guess people would tune in regardless.

Scotty makes a good point. Fantasy football. As much as that sounds lame to some, I know a ton of chicks who play it... so i assume i know a ton of guys who do, too. So football is going to always have that going for it, especially since its just once a week. 

Reference the steelers/chargers pics, like Brandon said, the steelers always have big crowds. More to the point, the chargers have an uphill battle, for now. Socal is rams/raiders land. Rams are back, sweet. No raider fan is going to turn charger fan because the chargers are here now. It will take a few years for the chargers to really develop a big following around here.