• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ready to punt 2019 or no?

28 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just wondering how many would be willing to make trades right now to make the team better next year and beyond if it means the team is more or less “punting” on 2019.

I am fine with it.

I think we stay the course and let the young pitching develop. Signing 1-2 starters would be nice in the offseason. Oh and get rid of Cahill.

If they have the opportunity to make the team better next year and beyond via trade I think they absolutely have to explore it.  The team has been fun to watch as of late but I just don't see them currently as a team that is built to do much in the playoffs because of the SP.  If they feel other wise I hope I'm wrong and they're playing meaningful baseball in September.  Regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season I hope they make a strong run at Cole.  He will get overpaid and the last few years of the contract will likely look bad but if he pitches like an ace the next ~3 years that takes pressure off of the young SP's and makes the team dangerous.     

41 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Yankjees will land Cole, you guys might as well move on from this guy.

If Severino comes back strong and Tanaka, German, Happ and Paxton all do their jobs they won’t pursue Cole. They have a bullpen that can out-punch any opponent. They will also get Jordan Montgomery back next season.  

Edited by Calzone 2

This is a .500ish team so they should be looking to sell IMO. They don't have much to sell though other than Calhoun. If they can get anything for either Harvey or Cahill that would be great, if not then I guess they just hold onto them since they have no rotation of any sort

2 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

This. Ideally they can move Kole in a deal and acquire this

If you can then it is going to be for someone that makes $15 million or so a year.  You are not getting a young major league starting pitcher with controllable years for Kole.  You are getting prospects or a well compensated pitcher that a team would like to get out of the contract.

13 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

In the other thread I mentioned Ian Kennedy for Kole, because Kennedy has one year of control left.  I am not sure I want Kennedy, but it wouldn’t surprise me. 

If he’s better than Cahill and Harvey, and the price is right, go for it. Okay to start looking at next year but wouldn’t tear this team apart right now.

The basis of the question seems unlikely - there probably aren't really any trades we can make that would do both of:

a)  Make us significantly less competitive this year, (meaning we trade a significant piece from the current roster), and 

b)  make us significantly *more* competitive next year and beyond.

But if there were such a trade available to us - I'd be reluctant to trade someone like Calhoun today, b/c we're still too close to losing Skaggs - I feel like it'd make the club look pretty heartless to trade someone right now.  I don't know what it's worth - but I'd rather potential FA's look at the Angels and think "That's a tight-knit organization that cares about their players" rather than "That's a cold-hearted bunch".  But a couple of weeks from now?  

Today, and every day, I'd expect Eppler to be working to find ways to improve the team - and I'd rather it be with a goal of long-term improvement rather than gearing up for a very unlikely stretch run that leaves us weaker next year.  

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

If Severino comes back strong and Tanaka, German, Happ and Paxton all do their jobs they won’t pursue Cole. They have a bullpen that can out-punch any opponent. They will also get Jordan Montgomery back next season.  

They will pursue Cole and if they have a surplus will trade one of them off or move Happ to the bullpen to make room.