• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ready to punt 2019 or no?

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

yeah youre right weve never seen a pro athlete force a trade or act likes a child to get what they wanted.  
Then again i could post the sky is blue and you would argue shade so, meh. 

No, but you are ridiculous thinking that he would throw a temper tantrum about being traded to the Angels.  It’s some butthurt fan narrative.  We are on his no trade list, so he’d have to waive it, which would mean he would be willing to play here. Oh and he has most big market teams on his no trade list and it is believed the reason for that is to squeeze more money out of them if a trade went down.

who said Greinke didn't want to be here?  Someone else just offered him more money.  If it's because he lists the Angels on his limited NTC then you don't understand baseball and the way the trade market works.  

Greinke has said he likes being in the NL because he like to hit.  Waiving an NTC would allow him to put a little extra cash in his pocket somehow.  

At the end of the day, he's just not the guy I'd waste a single prospect on.  There's gonna be a discrepancy between his perceived value and actual value.  For that reason, I don't think he's going anywhere although AZ would be super smart to off load that and trade him now if there were any takers.  We shouldn't be one imo.  

There's a yes, no, and maybe for every guy on this team sans Trout as far as what it would take to move them.  

The dynamic has changed though due to the Skaggs tragedy so a move that would have been a maybe for return on Calhoun likely becomes a no.  They're not going to move anyone right now and they shouldn't.  They're playing their best baseball of the year.  If they can split with Houston, win a series vs. the M's, and split with the dogs, they've got 7 games before the deadline against two of the worst teams in baseball.  Then they go head to head vs. two other WC contenders.  

The only way they sell at this point is if they drop back to .500 by the deadline and end up 7+ gb of the 2nd WC.  At that point it doesn't matter if you get some sort of amazing return for Kole.  Being between 5-7 games back is the gray area and I don't think they'll move him in that range considering the circumstances.  

I would absolutely consider moving Bedrosian and Noe if we're 7+ at the deadline.  Could I get a good farm system's top 20 plus a throw in for them?  Especially if that player is another Buttrey?  Absolutely.  Both of those guys are replaceable.  

One more interesting thing about Calhoun - could he have value as a CFer?  Or at least a part time CFer.  We know he can also fill in at 1b.  

1 hour ago, #WeNasty said:

Ok, Adell, Trout and Upton will be the starters.  Goodwin, for around league minimum will be the 4th outfielder until Marsh or someone is ready to come up.  So there just isn’t room for Kole, not at even a bargain of $8-10 million.  He deserves to be a starter, just won’t happen here after 2019.

Calhoun has played a little bit at first base in the past. That might be an option to consider. I’m fairly confident that Bour isn’t in their long term plans.

Just now, Tank said:

Calhoun has played a little bit at first base in the past. That might be an option to consider. I’m fairly confident that Bour isn’t in their long term plans.

That would probably require a Thaiss trade.  I know Thiass is currently playing 3rd base, but that will probably go to LaStella or Fletcher.  My guess is next year we will see Albert as the starter and Thaiss as the back up corner infielder, ala Valbuena/Marte.  

38 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

That would probably require a Thaiss trade.  I know Thiass is currently playing 3rd base, but that will probably go to LaStella or Fletcher.  My guess is next year we will see Albert as the starter and Thaiss as the back up corner infielder, ala Valbuena/Marte.  

I wouldn't mind an equal rotation of Thaiss, La Stella, Fletcher, Rengifo at 1st, 2nd, 3rd with a smattering of Albert, Smith and Grandal (wink wink) at 1b.  

1 hour ago, #WeNasty said:

How many games at 1B can a 40 year-old Albert play though?    

I was pleasantly surprised though that 3/4 of his 272 at bats so far have come at 1B, with an .824 OPS in those.   He is really struggling in his 67 DH at bats, only a .499 OPS. 

In recent seasons Eppler's MO has been to acquire MLB players at the deadline with fringe-to-medium value prospect pieces and when you consider that there are four other AL teams projected to end the season ahead of us in the Wild Card race, this seems to be the only scenario that makes any sense if we still want to cut away at a Wild Card run now and preserve our long-term future.

He could certainly go big but it will be a huge cost in prospect value that just doesn't seem like the right path at this moment, in all likelihood.

For a guy drafted in the 8th round who I don't believe was discussed much if at all on prospect lists Kole has been great but he turns 32 later this year.  If the team exercises his 2020 option because they don't feel Adell is ready, because of any injuries or for depth I've got no complaints.  That said I don't think OF'ers who will be 33 when they hit FA are high on the list for the Angels given they have Trout/Upton/Adell for the foreseeable future.  Here's a CBS article listing one move every team should make:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/trade-deadline-one-deal-every-team-should-make-including-madison-bumgarner-and-marcus-stroman-to-al-contenders/

"Angels trade Kole Calhoun to an unnamed contender for a mid-tier prospect: The Angels are in a tough spot. You can argue they're the fourth most likely AL West team to make the postseason. Under that line of thinking, they'd probably be wise to sell. Kole Calhoun has a $14 million club option for next season which may or may not be exercised. He should have value to contending teams nonetheless, and might bring back an interesting piece."

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

And what do you believe the Angels rank in terms of securing the 2nd wildcard?

I like our chances better than I like Texas chances.  I also think we can overtake Oakland.  That being said I may be wishful thinking from a fan point of view.