• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ready to punt 2019 or no?

34 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

If we win a few more games this week I’ll be firmly on team “add an arm”.  

as long as it's not a rental or even a guy who'll only be around through next year.  Unless the cost is minimal.  

A guy like Danny Duffy could be interesting.  Still owed a fair amount and a slight loss in velo at age 30.  (owed 2/30).  Maybe a low level prospect gets some money taken off like 2/20.  

He's a guy I could see doing well under Doug White.  

Also, not sure why a guy like Aaron Sanchez is broken.  He'd be another guy I'd consider on the cheap.  Another guy in the same mold is Archer

but it would have to be on the cheap.  

It's still an emotional time and a winning streak has enhanced that but we still have to be mindful that the wild card is still just a chance to play one more game.   As much as I want it to happen, I don't want to take a huge step back from what's been done in order to facilitate it.  

Our farm system is solid but not great and frankly, while we've seen that there's now some depth on the pitching side, it's actually taken a step back due to mediocre or poor performance by several position players, injuries, and graduations.  

Not saying don't do it absolutely, it just needs to be done judiciously and without the emotion we've been feeling.  

We are still in this thing. We can take the first wild card not just the second. And the division isn’t a foregone conclusion. It would take a huge win streak but this team can rally and do it. Let’s get this team to the playoffs. Do it for Skaggs. 

Im gonna contradict myself here. Ive been preaching standing pat. And was firmly in the trade Skaggs (rip), La Stella and Kole camp. I still kind of am. Build for 2021, not today.

But damn.... this team seems to have really rallies behind the recent tragedy. Skaggs, la stella, etc etc. Sure, seattle is whatevs, but the rangers are pretty decent. And we came very close to taking that 3rd game in Houston last weekend. 

It almost makes you wonder how much a shot in the arm from a good pitcher would do for them. No idea who that pitcher would be. What we have to trade, etc. 

But it feels less and less like a decent streak. More like these guys are going to pull a miracle out of their ass.

No way they are as good as the dodgers (though we swept them). No way as good as houston (until this week). The rays are better, the twins, etc. But i think theyre a lot more capable of going on a run than it seemed a few weeks ago. 

Even if they lost the one game playoff, seeing them celebrate in front of the Skaggs pic on the wall would be pretty sweet....

In terms of a pure rental, I think Bumgarner makes the most sense. His cost is already diminished because he’s a FA, his peripherals are starting to wobble, the Giants badly need more youth...

I can see other teams aiming higher and going for more dynamic or controllable arms, and Bumgarner fading from their focus. 

Reminds me of Darvish a couple years back. It was clear he should be dealt but no one wanted to pay much given the data, and ultimately the Dodgers didn’t give up a whole lot. Ward, a decent SP prospect from the lower-levels like Bradish, Madero, Hernandez, Wantz, and then one more low-level guy with promise like Deveaux, Rivas, Torres, Martinez probably gets it done.

Doesn’t hurt Angels much and gives them something to work with.

I also think like @Dochalo said there are plenty of buy-low guys with control that make sense too. Eppler has done well finding Ramirezes, Pena, Bridwell, Meyer, etc. in the past with literally nothing spent - he can spare a prospect or two this time, I bet he can find someone who also can turn it around similarly and with a little more impact.

Edited by totdprods

26 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Angels probably need to add 2 starters if they're gonna make a serious push. Maybe they can acquire a rental for somewhat cheap and then look at trying to get somebody like Boyd or Stroman, both of whom would be part of the 2020 team.

I doubt they pull off two SP - a reliever and SP more likely. Pitching is just so expensive at the deadline and we really don’t have the depth. If Cincy drops out of it someone like Roark might be a cheap second arm they could still snag on top of someone more dynamic but that’s still a lot of currency for two arms and not much control. 

The Angels really need one of Cahill, Harvey, or Ramirez to step up and deliver at least a 4.50 ERA and steady innings, a little improvement from Heaney, and add one arm and they’d be in much better shape just with that. 

We just need one arm to help a bit this year, and then can chase more arms this winter - it’s really the only clear need we have and we have $30m to spend minimum.

Sort of a bummer the Rangers are still in it...the Angels would match up well with them for Lynn or Minor but no chance it comes together given how close they are in the race.

Edited by totdprods