• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ready to punt 2019 or no?

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Yankjees will land Cole, you guys might as well move on from this guy.

The Yankees wouldn’t go top dollar on Machado or Harper and had Corbin ready to sign if they made a competitive offer. Unless something changes, I wouldn’t expect them to go out and straight up outbid everyone. George isn’t running the team anymore. 

whatever the play, it can't be for just this year or it doesn't make sense.  

Houston's pitching is vulnerable going forward and their rotation is living off of two guys.  Losing Cole is a major shift in power even if we don't get him.  Oakland, Houston and the Angels will all have a major opportunity for 2020 to take the division.  

For now, the team just needs to keep pouring on the offense and developing young players like Rengifo, Suarez, Canning, Barria, Walsh, Ward, Herm, Thaiss, Adell, Marsh, etc.  And while the next wave of guys from rookie ball to A+ are moving along, they need need need to make so good free agent choices.  They need a starter who is the equivalent of Tommy Lastella.  

Every team that ends up at the top needs a little luck and we are due.  Jake Arrieta, Chris Young at age 36, Steve Pearce, Max Muncy, Chris Taylor, Enrique Hernandez, Mike Morse, Jake Peavey, Tim Hudson, Shane Victorino, Daniel Nava, Allen Craig,  Kyle Lohse and so on and so forth.  

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

There is one hint from the past that could back the thought that he will pitch wherever he gets the most money.   He did turn down first round money out of HS to attend UCLA, possibly so that he could cash in after his junior season, which he did.

13 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Angels are definitely going to be on Cole’s very short list. Whether they will get him or not, I don’t know, but I do know he’s going to be very interested in the Angels. 

As for the question at hand, I was talking to a Giants fan the other day. And they are a similar spot to the Angels, standings-wise. The difference is the Giants have at least two really good, impending FA pieces, to trade. They could actually miss out on some real value by holding them. 

The Angels have exactly one player who could get them anything: Calhoun. And like I said in the other thread, you’d better be damn sure of 3 things before trading him. 

-This year’s team has no chance with him. 

-The return you get back is significant.

-Adell is going to be ready opening day 2020.

Also, you aren’t necessarily missing out on value by holding Calhoun. You could pick up his option and then trade him anytime from November to July.

29 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Angels are definitely going to be on Cole’s very short list. Whether they will get him or not, I don’t know, but I do know he’s going to be very interested in the Angels. 

As for the question at hand, I was talking to a Giants fan the other day. And they are a similar spot to the Angels, standings-wise. The difference is the Giants have at least two really good, impending FA pieces, to trade. They could actually miss out on some real value by holding them. 

The Angels have exactly one player who could get them anything: Calhoun. And like I said in the other thread, you’d better be damn sure of 3 things before trading him. 

-This year’s team has no chance with him. 

-The return you get back is significant.

-Adell is going to be ready opening day 2020.

Also, you aren’t necessarily missing out on value by holding Calhoun. You could pick up his option and then trade him anytime from November to July.

I would say that some of the bullpen arms have value, but I could be wrong.  

I don’t think trading Kole is smart especially the way we are going right now. In fact, I hope we bring Kole back next season and for a few more thereafter. He doesn’t need to play RF. He can platoon outfield spots and 1B. Even though he’s not a high average Hitter, his HR production and defense have brought some serious impact to this team. IMO trading Kole is a bad mistake UNLESS we are blown away with a return. 

2 minutes ago, TBailey said:

I don’t think trading Kole is smart especially the way we are going right now. In fact, I hope we bring Kole back next season and for a few more thereafter. He doesn’t need to play RF. He can platoon outfield spots and 1B. Even though he’s not a high average Hitter, his HR production and defense have brought some serious impact to this team. IMO trading Kole is a bad mistake UNLESS we are blown away with a return. 

Well the more we win the harder it will be to justify trading him.  But no, he is not going to be here for a few more seasons, nor should he be.  If he has that kind of value where he deserves to be with a team for a few seasons after this one then simply pick up his option and trade him in the off season.  There just won’t be room for him here, not with Trout, Adell, Upton, Marsh, Goodwin, and then the following wave of outfielders.  

I wouldn't say punt, I would say play out the string and see what happens. Maybe that's the same thing as punt?

If they somehow sneak into a WC berth it would take a miracle to go deep into the playoffs with this SP.

I don't see Calhoun in the Angels' long-term plans. If somebody wants him and we can gain some pitching prospects, let him go.

Or keep him, what difference will it make? Probably not much.

7 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

Well the more we win the harder it will be to justify trading him.  But no, he is not going to be here for a few more seasons, nor should he be.  If he has that kind of value where he deserves to be with a team for a few seasons after this one then simply pick up his option and trade him in the off season.  There just won’t be room for him here, not with Trout, Adell, Upton, Marsh, Goodwin, and then the following wave of outfielders.  

You can always find room for a gold glove player with pop on your team. At what cost? That’ll be the deciding factor. Kole is still a very important player. Marsh won’t be here yet. Goodwin? Very replaceable.

Ready to punt, no.  The realist in me knows that a wild card run isnt the goal, but right now its the only goal we have and thats better than no goal at all. 
The problem is our planned tradable assets have either shat the bed or are hurt.  The obvious moves are gone, Epp and co are going to have to find ways to get creative. 
Like many i thick Cole is a pipe dream unless he simply wants to be here. 

14 minutes ago, TBailey said:

You can always find room for a gold glove player with pop on your team. At what cost? That’ll be the deciding factor. Kole is still a very important player. Marsh won’t be here yet. Goodwin? Very replaceable.

Ok, Adell, Trout and Upton will be the starters.  Goodwin, for around league minimum will be the 4th outfielder until Marsh or someone is ready to come up.  So there just isn’t room for Kole, not at even a bargain of $8-10 million.  He deserves to be a starter, just won’t happen here after 2019.

1 minute ago, #WeNasty said:

Ok, Adell, Trout and Upton will be the starters.  Goodwin, for around league minimum will be the 4th outfielder until Marsh or someone is ready to come up.  So there just isn’t room for Kole, not at even a bargain of $8-10 million.  He deserves to be a starter, just won’t happen here after 2019.

I could definitely see that happening. But I’m simply giving my opinion. I don’t think the Angels are just gonna let him walk so easily as some of us here think. 

1 hour ago, #WeNasty said:

F’ it, go get Greinke.  

This is the move that makes the most sense if you can make the money work. And by "make the money work," I mean still have the financial ability to add another starter this offseason. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Most here dont think much of him, thats obvious.

I’ve always thought pretty highly of Kole.  Now I'm not myopic and think he’s the centerpiece that could acquire us a guy like Bauer, that would be silly.   But the reality is Trout and Upton are not going anywhere, and Adell is a top 5 prospect in all of baseball.   It’s about where do you spend your money and the answer isn’t a fourth outfielder.  Now if Albert retired then maybe you put Kole at first but probably not.   Oh and so we’re clear I don’t think Adell in his rookie season will be as good as Kole this year. 

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

This is the move that makes the most sense if you can make the money work. And by "make the money work," I mean still have the financial ability to add another starter this offseason. 

I dont get this one at all, hes shown he doesnt want to be here in the past, why would we go get him a second time only to have him leave again?