• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ausmus on the collision at homeplate

9 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

image.png

The Astros board swears Lucroy was blocking the plate, despite evidence to the contrary. They won't believe their own eyes.

http://astrosrefugees.proboards.com/thread/781/gdt-angels-astros-7-2019?page=7&scrollTo=81017

That photo isn’t conclusive imo. Show me a photo before the tag. 

C8B2B9D3-011D-41E9-827C-B97DF76431F0.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Watching the video, clearly shows he took a big step toward first base turned his head and crashed into Lucroy with his helmet and shoulder.

Except you don’t put your hands and arms out in front of you if you’re intentionally trying to spear or hurt somebody. 

6 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

I completely agree. That’s why I’m confused about the WeNasty thing. That nickname is more of a Dodger type thing. Our organization is far from being nasty. We are struggling to get out of 4th place. We certainly don’t need to be throwing at hitters and face retaliation on Trout or Ohtani. Let’s BeNasty in the postseason.

Sigh....

24 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Except you don’t put your hands and arms out in front of you if you’re intentionally trying to spear or hurt somebody. 

And what kind of "slide" is it when you launch yourself headfirst through the air, and lower/drive your shoulder into the player?  

Here's the commentary on the rule:

Rule 6.01(i)(1) Comment: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 6.01(i), or otherwise initiated a collision that could have been avoided. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner's buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. If a catcher blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall not find that the runner initiated an avoidable collision in violation of this Rule 6.01(i)(1).

Marisnick violated every part of the rule, both letter and spirit of it. 

Whether he "meant" to hurt Lucroy is between him and his maker - I doubt he did - it was a split-second decision. 

But I don't think anyone really thinks he was deliberately with malice-aforethought trying to injure Lucroy - but. at best, he did form an intent to knock Lucroy down, to prevent Lucroy from catching the ball and tagging him out, not to "hurt" him.  To knock the ball loose, he changed his path, away from the straight line to the plate he was on, and directly towards Lucroy.  He *meant* to hit Lucroy when he didn't have to, and he did so in a reckless way that injured Lucroy,  one explicitly outlawed in baseball because it's dangerous.    

In legal terms, if he'd killed Lucroy, it would be "Voluntary Manslaughter" rather than "Premeditated Murder."    

The only issue now isn't "guilt" - he obviously broke the rule and flagrantly - the only question now is his punishment.  

12 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Or any MLB 25 man roster. I'd like to think this injury isn't career threatening.

I don’t think he’ll look to retire because of it but it could very well end his season. Like Lou said, he’s a really good guy. My RF buddies in Oakland all talked positively about him.

The concussion thing is perhaps what scares me the most, look at what Cervelli is going thru now due to it.  Shit is no joke man and taking a hit like that from a moving guy on your heels is going to jar the noodle in the best case scenario and he got laid the frak out dead center.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:58 PM, Calzone 2 said:

Fair enough. It still ruined everybody’s Christmas. 

Thank you.

Fair enough? This was pointed out to you days ago and you kept up your stupid ass agenda. You really have to quit being the boards biggest jackass and think before you start up on one of your crusades. 

What a bunch of fucking idiots. Not once did Lucroy make a move to cross the basepath line into foul territory. Only one person crossed over from where they started, that was Marisnick that lowered the boom on Lucroy like a seasoned veteran of smashmouth football from an era gone by. These people arguing it is Lucroy's fault believe in the Twin Towers Conspiracy theories and the Pentagon was attacked with a missile and not a jet liner. Dumbasses.

I don't think it's that complicated. He had his mind made up to slide to the inside. Probably was already envisioning his dugout celebrations. He chose this even though it's the direction from which the ball will arrive. Intentional or not, he chose a path that led him to a collision. The road to hell (and the concussion protocol) is paved with good intentions but actions and results of those actions matter. He initiated a collision that resulted in a player injury so he earned a suspension