• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ausmus on the collision at homeplate

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

His choice was clearly in front of him, he crossed over and hit Lucroy. This was no accident or miss judgement, he did not slide he rammed him. If it were a slide, at the distance he was traveling he would have been under Lucroy not shoulder to neck. If his intent was to reach the plate without contact he would have stayed on the foul side. There was absolutely no lane on the inside path at any point in this play.

Ok. Whatever you say. 

have you ever been walking quickly or even running and you accidentally run into someone coming from a different direction where neither of you saw the other?  At that last split second right before contact, you'll contort your body as much as possible to avoid that contact.  What I've never done in that situation at that last split second is to lower my shoulder and plant it into the other persons face/chest.  

so if you believe he had no opportunity to go a different direction, or he just chose poorly and you believe him when he says he had no intention of bowling him over, then why at the point of contact did it look like a DB hitting a defenseless receiver across the middle?

if its such a bang bang play and he didn't have time to avoid Lucroy, how did he have enough enough time to get his body in position to put on the hit that he did?  If he truly didn't have time then he'd have been left just a vulnerable during the collision as Lucroy.  

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

have you ever been walking quickly or even running and you accidentally run into someone coming from a different direction where neither of you saw the other?  At that last split second right before contact, you'll contort your body as much as possible to avoid that contact.  What I've never done in that situation at that last split second is to lower my shoulder and plant it into the other persons face/chest.  

so if you believe he had no opportunity to go a different direction, or he just chose poorly and you believe him when he says he had no intention of bowling him over, then why at the point of contact did it look like a DB hitting a defenseless receiver across the middle?

if its such a bang bang play and he didn't have time to avoid Lucroy, how did he have enough enough time to get his body in position to put on the hit that he did?  If he truly didn't have time then he'd have been left just a vulnerable during the collision as Lucroy.  

I have never been running 29 feet per second in the direction of person wearing protective equipment while 35,000 people are screaming at me. 

I’ve changed my position on this issue. I now blame Calhoun. The throw was offline which caused Lucroy to adjust forward towards the impact zone. A good throw would’ve put Lucroy in a perfect position to make an easy tag. Notice the catcher is protecting just a partial part of the front of the plate. Lucroy was in the wrong position and put himself in front of the entire plate with no ball. (see below)

8585EA69-8086-4EEE-8443-A84BFA43E9BC.jpeg

9559095A-FEFD-4F3A-8B4A-AAA89934CE25.jpeg

Edited by Calzone 2

39 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I have never been running 29 feet per second in the direction of person wearing protective equipment while 35,000 people are screaming at me. 

I have. 

It wasn't fun when I hit the riot officer's shield. If only I'd listened to the other Burger King protesters yelling at me that my balls were hanging out.

43 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would think your first instinct would have been to avoid the collision rather than instigate it. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I would think your first instinct would have been to avoid the collision rather than instigate it. 

Yeah. He said that he went inside because his read was that Lucroy was going outside. Lucroy is sort of shuffling his feet and shifting his weight in that direction at one point. 

You have a split second to make a read on what’s going to happen. 

Sometimes you’re wrong. The same reason guys swing at pitches in the dirt. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ok, but thousands of pro baseball players have without crushing the catcher. 

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there's no way that the collision is that one sided unless Marisnick has enough time to know that contact is coming.  

Of course he knows it’s coming. He is looking at Lucroy and Lucroy is looking at the ball. 

Just because he sees it doesn’t mean he has time to stop it. 

Obviously we see this differently. My opinion is based on talking to players who have been on both sides of these plays. Maybe I’ll talk to other players who change my mind. But as of now, anyone I’ve asked who isn’t on the Angels or Astros said it was just an unfortunate accident. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Is it surprising to anyone that 99% of players aren't saying it was intentional?  In fact, have there been any non-catchers,(not on the Angels or Astros) who have stated that it was intentional?

Yadier Molina?  

25 minutes ago, Lou said:

Is it surprising to anyone that 99% of players aren't saying it was intentional?  In fact, have there been any non-catchers,(not on the Angels or Astros) who have stated that it was intentional?

The timing might have a lot to do with that. Most MLB non All Stars are away with their families and away from the media. It was an unfortunate situation that probably every player wants to move on from. The whole thing sucked. Players are probably asked not to stir up the pot and are probably waiting for the outcome from league officials.

Edited by Calzone 2