• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ausmus on the collision at homeplate

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They had to have New York make the call. The umpires didn't want to do it in front of the home crowd. Also, by rule, Marisnick should have been thrown out if the game for lowering his shoulder and hitting LuCroy. By MLB rules. 

Is that the rule? 

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

Is that the rule? 

I posted it in the GameDay thread. He violated two of the clauses. He was not sliding. 

7.13 includes:

• A runner may not run out of a direct line to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher, or any player, covering the plate. If he does, the umpire can call him out even if the player taking the throw loses possession of the ball.
  • The catcher may not block the pathway of a runner attempting to score unless he has possession of the ball. If the catcher blocks the runner before he has the ball, the umpire may call the runner safe.
  • All calls will be based on the umpire's judgment. The umpire will consider such factors as whether the runner made an effort to touch the plate and whether he lowered his shoulder or used his hands, elbows or arms when approaching the catcher.
  • gettyimages-1160648315-e1562541276331.jp

I posted it in the GameDay thread. He violated two of the clauses. 

7.13 includes:

• A runner may not run out of a direct line to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher, or any player, covering the plate. If he does, the umpire can call him out even if the player taking the throw loses possession of the ball.
  • The catcher may not block the pathway of a runner attempting to score unless he has possession of the ball. If the catcher blocks the runner before he has the ball, the umpire may call the runner safe.
  • All calls will be based on the umpire's judgment. The umpire will consider such factors as whether the runner made an effort to touch the plate and whether he lowered his shoulder or used his hands, elbows or arms when approaching the catcher.

That doesn't say anything about ejections

10 minutes ago, rottiesworld said:

He hopes the player didn't get hurt, well you should not have put your shoulders down and into the player idiot, this is not football.

Lol ? he put his hands out first  ... then went to the outside to soften the impact. The shoulders happen to be connected to the arms. His head collided with Lucroy’s face. If he went shoulders first then the arms wouldn’t of been out in front of him imo.

The call was correct but I don’t think a suspension is in order. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Lol ? he put his hands out first  ... then went to the outside to soften the impact. The shoulders happen to be connected to the arms. His head collided with Lucroy’s face. If he went shoulders first then the arms wouldn’t of been out in front of him imo.

The call was correct but I don’t think a suspension is in order. 

You are wrong. He intentionally speared LuCroy and will be fined and suspended. 

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I posted it in the GameDay thread. He violated two of the clauses. He was not sliding. 

7.13 includes:

• gettyimages-1160648315-e1562541276331.jp

In college football, he would have been ejected for targeting and suspended the next game.

Watching the replay I don't think Marisnick was being malicious. That said, this is a high stakes game and players careers and a ton of money are on the line and these rules have been put in place for those reasons. Whatever Marisnick's intent the rules were put in specifically to end this type of play and that is the type of play where a baserunner does not need to hit the catcher but does so anyway. As someone else said he is probably a low baseball IQ player with no idea where he was in relation to the baseline or where home plate was in relation to Lucroy. Sometimes there is no need to try and read mind or guess at intent, what the player did on the field, be it malicious or stupid should result in punishment. Stupidity should never be a defense.

You are wrong. He intentionally speared LuCroy and will be fined and suspended. 

Possibly ... but you and I have seen a lot worst collisions at the plate that were intentional. I would rate the intentional collision at the plate a 3 out of 10. The damage to Lucroy’s face was done by his head not the shoulders 

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Watching the replay I don't think Marisnick was being malicious.

He was running full speed, changed directions, lowered his shoulder and targeted Lucroy in the head. The only thing he didn't do was put Lucroy’s head on a curb and stomp it. 

It was malicious. 

5 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

In college football, he would have been ejected for targeting and suspended the next game.

But this isn't college football, right? It's Major League Baseball.

This is a very confusing thread.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's confusing to me why people continue to post the rule as if it wasn't followed, yet all the evidence indicates that the rule was followed.

He wasn't ejected from the game. The rule was not followed. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

He wasn't ejected from the game. The rule was not followed. 

You apparently were wrong about the ruling on the field, and the subsequent challenge by Houston.

I think you are also wrong about this.

He was running full speed, changed directions, lowered his shoulder and targeted Lucroy in the head. The only thing he didn't do was put Lucroy’s head on a curb and stomp it. 

It was malicious. 

To me it looked like for some inexplicable reason he thought Lucroy was going to dive out into his path to catch the ball. He changes directions in response to Lucroy changing directions. Why he thinks Lucroy is going to abandon his position there I can't speculate on beyond the 'low baseball IQ' comment.