• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At what point do we lock Mike Trout up for life?

I know the team and Trout's agent had some issues with his 2013 salary and it's nice to technically have "control" of the player before we have to lock him up long term or deal with arbitration but I would love to see the team make him an Angel for life sooner than later. A sign of good faith from the team this early could result in a (small) discount.

What do we think the contract would be? 10 years, $260 million?

Thoughts?

8-10 year deal after 2013 sounds about right, assuming he continues to play like he has since 2012.

But if they decide to wait until after his 3rd season, they had best offer him at least $7-8 million for his 3rd season, which would hopefully have him feeling better than the joke $510,000 he's getting this season despite being 2nd in the AL MVP race.

A Ranger fan at the game last night told me that Trout would be a Ranger in a few years. 

I flipped him off

He laughed

I think you misunderstood him.  He probably said Trout was gonna beat the Rangers every year.  Like a soapy d**k.

I doubt 8/$100M will get it done at this point.  Especially if he puts up a line like .300/.380/.600 this year and goes 30/30+ again. 

8 years would buy out one league minimum year and three arbitration years at an AAV of $12.5M (which if he keeps this up, he's probably get around that much over arbitration anyways), so it would essentially be like him hitting free agency in his age 26 season and getting a 4 year/$50M contract, which is a ridiculous underpay.  Yeah, he gets a raise of about $12M for his 2014 season, but would potentially sacrifice $50M+ over his age 26-29 seasons while still in the prime of his career.  

Unless he really loves the Angels or has his mind set on playing for one team his entire career, there's no way it happens.

Bingo

They could probably lock him up for 7-8 years at around $12-$15 mill a season right now, which will be a BARGAIN.

Make it ten years around 135-150 million and it should be a done deal.  Beneficial for Trout because he gets guaranteed big money early.  Beneficial for the Angels because based on his numbers 15 million a year will be cheap if he went free agency.  The risk for the Angels is the bonus for Trout, there is no guarantee he puts up similar numbers or he could get injured.

I doubt 8/$100M will get it done at this point.  Especially if he puts up a line like .300/.380/.600 this year and goes 30/30+ again. 

8 years would buy out one league minimum year and three arbitration years at an AAV of $12.5M (which if he keeps this up, he's probably get around that much over arbitration anyways), so it would essentially be like him hitting free agency in his age 26 season and getting a 4 year/$50M contract, which is a ridiculous underpay.  Yeah, he gets a raise of about $12M for his 2014 season, but would potentially sacrifice $50M+ over his age 26-29 seasons while still in the prime of his career.  

Unless he really loves the Angels or has his mind set on playing for one team his entire career, there's no way it happens.

He won't get 12 million plus his first year of arbitration,  He will get that second or third year.

Do you think he would sign long term with a CA team?  I think we have another Texeira type situation.  I hope I'm wrong but if his heart is in the east coast he is a Yankee as soon as he's not under Angels control.

If he goes where his heart is, he would sign with the Phillies. He grew up a Phillies fan. I'm sure his home will always be NJ and that area, but who knows if he would prefer to play in that area.  

Mark Tex always wanted to play for the Yankees and his wife played a part in him signing with the Yankees.