• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout 12 years/$440 million! Its done!!

NJHalo

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm seriously considering sending Harper a gift basket thanking him for his comments and the amount of media noise they created.  A part of me will always wonder if it didn't speed the process up and maybe help the situation along.

I'd like to think Bryce Harper's behavior (and the rest of the East Coast) would have little impact on Trout's decision, but at the very least for us fans it was a mild annoyance followed by a tremendous outbreak of celebration.  I have a difficult time avoiding the Phillies fan sites because the hurt they're feeling is just so satisfying as an Angels fan. I know we should just rejoice and not at their expense though. 

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm seriously considering sending Harper a gift basket thanking him for his comments and the amount of media noise they created.  A part of me will always wonder if it didn't speed the process up and maybe help the situation along.

Lets do it, but make it look like a jeter one. But this time, with trout baseball cards (instead of jeets) but the same bottle of valtrex.

13 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, you're saying that because they didn't do what the "they aren't doing/spending enough" crowd wanted them to do they had the financial room to sign the single most important free agent in the existence of the Angels franchise?   It's almost like they had a big picture view of things instead of focusing on the two years they knew they had him under control for...   

What a dumb plan...

Nailed it, as usual.

I hope now that this is over, some on here are more accepting and patient. We all are frustrated, we all want the 2000s glory to come back. But as Ive said before, were in year 6 of med school... dont quit school now because you can make fast cash bartending.

The previous winters, where weve seemed cheap, was due to 2 issues. 1, the overall org was broken (no pitching, no farm). A big named FA like a JD Martinez wasnt going to fix the big picture. Only blood and sweat (drafting and developing) would.

And 2, the pending trout mega deal. The entire org, and trout, has been in on this for the last few years. Trout wanted to stay, they wanted him to stay, and both sides decided to focus on the team first, but with an understanding it would have to get done at some point. (Which was this winter).

Now. The next focus. Adell. And canning. And all those guys. 

Be patient. Give it time. There will still be bumps in the road, and we wont win a ring this year. But be patient, and allow the people who do this all professionally (and are privy to info we arent) do their job.

43 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Nailed it, as usual.

I hope now that this is over, some on here are more accepting and patient. We all are frustrated, we all want the 2000s glory to come back. But as Ive said before, were in year 6 or med school... dont quit school now because you can make fast cash bartending.

The previous winters, where weve seemed cheap, was due to 2 issues. 1, the overall org was broken (no pitching, no farm). A big named FA like a JD Martinez wasnt going to fix the big picture. Only blood and sweat (drafting and developing) would.

And 2, the pending trout mega deal. The entire org, and trout, has been in on this for the last few years. Trout wanted to stay, they wanted him to stay, and both sides decided to focus on the team first, but with an understanding it would have to get done at some point. (Which was this winter).

Now. The next focus. Adell. And canning. And all those guys. 

Be patient. Give it time. There will still be bumps in the road, and we wont win a ring this year. But be patient, and allow the people who do this all professionally (and are privy to info we arent) do their job.

good points...a big part of what this deal does and being finished when it was...it gives the Angels time to do things right. They don't have to spend wildly and make short sighted trades hoping to roll a hard 12 in order to try and put a winner on the field to convince Trout to stay. They've convinced him they have a long term vision and commitment to winning and they have the breathing room to continue to do it correctly and in a sustainable fashion.

The first (and best) behind the scenes/baseball diary books were by Jim Brosnan, a decent mid reliever in the late 50s/early 60s mostly with the Cubs, Cards, Reds and White Sox. He got his ass kicked by the 61 Yankees in the World Series, but he was a better writer than player. 

He had a quote from team mate Stan Musial in one of his books (Pennant Race and The Long Season) that really applies to all negotiations, especially Trout.

Musial talked about negotiating a new contract, having been through over a decade of experience at the time. Basically he said words to the effect

"Don't try to sell management on what you already did. They bought it before. Sell them on what you'll be doing in the future."

All sports have changed dramatically salary and contractual wise over the years, and projecting future performance is much more a science than it used to be, though still prone to unexpected deviations.

The amazing thing about Trout is that his past is so consistently elite, and his age and health are at peak levels that selling management on his future is essentially a no brainer. As sure a thing to project as there is in baseball. ESPN had a story yesterday saying he might be worth a billion dollar contract factoring in a plethora of issues.

And like Musial, destined to play for the same franchise well into two decades.