• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

10 hours ago, ScottT said:

Meanwhile, the Doyyer just keep developing prospects.  Lux is having ridiculous success in AAA so far.

So living in OKC, I have gotten to go to about 6 OKC Dodger games this year. That team can hit, there’s no question about that. But they can’t pitch down there and that’s why they’re in last place. But yeah, Lux is unreal. 

7 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whats their secret?

Serious question. Is it drafting, or developing?

Its obviously both, but can anyone pinpoint who the brains are over there?

Ben Lindbergh's new book, "The MVP Machine," takes a really deep dive into player development. Might be worth a read if you're interested in that.

7 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whats their secret?

Serious question. Is it drafting, or developing?

Its obviously both, but can anyone pinpoint who the brains are over there?

It's everything really...   They were one of the first teams to go super hard into the high tech stuff and they have always had more scouts than everyone save for maybe the Yankees.   

As an aside... the Dodgers (and the A's) were the two most notoriously dirty teams in MLB when it came to international players -- the entire Andrian Beltre story is a total trip.  Beltre was a known guy, people wanted him so the Dodgers hid him and his family away from other teams in hotels and safe-houses to make sure other teams wouldn't be able to negotiate with him.   

But mostly LA made player development their thing early on and stuck to it.   The Expos were another team that made player development their primary focus and it was a major reason why Bill Stoneman operated the way he did.   The Angels had some of the best scouts and talent evaluation people in MLB (the Sutherland brothers) until they were all let go.

17 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's everything really...   They were one of the first teams to go super hard into the high tech stuff and they have always had more scouts than everyone save for maybe the Yankees.   

As an aside... the Dodgers (and the A's) were the two most notoriously dirty teams in MLB when it came to international players -- the entire Andrian Beltre story is a total trip.  Beltre was a known guy, people wanted him so the Dodgers hid him and his family away from other teams in hotels and safe-houses to make sure other teams wouldn't be able to negotiate with him.   

But mostly LA made player development their thing early on and stuck to it.   The Expos were another team that made player development their primary focus and it was a major reason why Bill Stoneman operated the way he did.   The Angels had some of the best scouts and talent evaluation people in MLB (the Sutherland brothers) until they were all let go.

Do you know more about their development side? Like, do they just have amazingly talented minor league coaches?

Reference the comments above about their foreign scouting, dirty tricks etc. Aside from all that, their american born players pan out just as well. I cant imagine theyre shady there?

Im just blown away thst theyve been so good for so long, with back end drafts, yet still roll out bellingers and seagers.

18 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Ben Lindbergh's new book, "The MVP Machine," takes a really deep dive into player development. Might be worth a read if you're interested in that.

Sounds like an interesting re...ZZZZzzzzzzz 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Walsh hit #28 tonight

14 in his last 20 games.  

It's amazing to me that a guy like that wouldn't be successful at the major league level.  I understand park factors and all that, butt the dude is just destroying everything he sees

I guess he's to me like Jabari Blash is to @ettin

BTW, Blash is killing the ball in Japan - .955 ops with 22hrs in 342 PA.  

Anyway, back to Walsh.  It's his age 25 season (just turned 26).  Don't they have to give him a legit look?  He might be a little long in the tooth relative to most prospects, but he's not exactly old.  How about Justin Bour for a comp?  

Maybe he's just come into his own of late.  Dude only hit 6 hrs in 3 years and 463 pa in college.  And even without as much power earlier in his minor league career he still owns a .903 ops overall.  He's done nothing but hit the crap out of the ball at every level.  

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

14 in his last 20 games.  

It's amazing to me that a guy like that wouldn't be successful at the major league level.  I understand park factors and all that, butt the dude is just destroying everything he sees

I guess he's to me like Jabari Blash is to @ettin

BTW, Blash is killing the ball in Japan - .955 ops with 22hrs in 342 PA.  

Anyway, back to Walsh.  It's his age 25 season (just turned 26).  Don't they have to give him a legit look?  He might be a little long in the tooth relative to most prospects, but he's not exactly old.  How about Justin Bour for a comp?  

Maybe he's just come into his own of late.  Dude only hit 6 hrs in 3 years and 463 pa in college.  And even without as much power earlier in his minor league career he still owns a .903 ops overall.  He's done nothing but hit the crap out of the ball at every level.  

Hasn't he had just a handful of at bats this season? Matt Thaiss started off rough too, as did Rengifo, but with more consistent playing time I think guys like Rojas, Walsh and even Ward can produce at the major league level.

57 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Hasn't he had just a handful of at bats this season? Matt Thaiss started off rough too, as did Rengifo, but with more consistent playing time I think guys like Rojas, Walsh and even Ward can produce at the major league level.

he's got 35 pa so far.  not cause for conclusion one way or the other.  

time for Albert to go on the 60d IL and give PT to Walsh, Ward and Thaiss at 1b/3b.