• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto frees up more payroll, Encarnacion/Santana deal

WeatherWonk

9 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Shouldn't this be on Marinerswin?

It's very relevant to the Angels. Though the Angels have done very little in the off season, Dipoto has made sure that we will finish at least third in the AL West.

Then, there's the Rays aspect of the trade. The Rays are one of the teams that finished ahead of the Angels in the WC race.

12 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

It's very relevant to the Angels. Though the Angels have done very little in the off season, Dipoto has made sure that we will finish at least third in the AL West.

Then, there's the Rays aspect of the trade. The Rays are one of the teams that finished ahead of the Angels in the WC race.

LOL, might as well cancel the season.  

11 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I’m willing to bet you lunch that we finish ahead of the Mariners.   They lost their bullpen, their catcher, their SS, their Robinson Cano, their best starting pitcher.   

It’s way too early to really measure what a Dipoto is doing. He’s clearing a ton of payroll, but he hasn’t done much for the farm in my opinion, or to stock the big league team with young talent.

He’s basically just creating a blank canvas - and there isn’t much clue to what he has to paint with. There isn’t a lot of farm for him to acquire guys with, not a lot of farm to rely on...building a team primarily through FA isn’t ideal. My guess is there’s a lot to come in today the next year for him. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I’m willing to bet you lunch that we finish ahead of the Mariners.   They lost their bullpen, their catcher, their SS, their Robinson Cano, their best starting pitcher.   

That's pretty much what I was saying. Dipoto has improved OUR chances of moving up in the AL West, by virtue of decimating his team. We are probably guaranteed at least a third place finish.

15 minutes ago, Barrett said:

I agree. It looks like Dipoto is trying to gut the MLB Roster and build for the future. I like the approach. I would much rather be terrible for 2-4 years and then good for a while after then mediocre. Being mediocre to me is worse than being terrible.

why not be mediocre for a few years with an outside chance to grab a wild card spot and then be good than being a combo of terrible and mediocre for the same amount of time?  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

why not be mediocre for a few years with an outside chance to grab a wild card spot and then be good than being a combo of terrible and mediocre for the same amount of time?  

Being mediocre doesn't get you a wild card spot. I understand going for it I understand holding back. But just settling for mediocrity does nothing for me personally or in my sports teams. I've said it before but I would rather finish last in the division than 3rd. I don't see the point in finishing 3rd.

1 minute ago, Barrett said:

Being mediocre doesn't get you a wild card spot. I understand going for it I understand holding back. But just settling for mediocrity does nothing for me personally or in my sports teams. I've said it before but I would rather finish last in the division than 3rd. I don't see the point in finishing 3rd.

what if it's because your team sustained a bunch of injuries but to start the year you have an OK shot to grab a WC spot?  

Just now, Dochalo said:

what if it's because your team sustained a bunch of injuries but to start the year you have an OK shot to grab a WC spot?  

Shit happens. If you are going for just winning a wild card I don't think any team should be opening the season just hoping for a wild card spot. I think that's foolish. You are either good enough to win the division or you just aren't there yet. Injuries happen plenty, teams are either better than or worse than they expected once the season starts. But I don't think you can go into a season hoping for a wild card. There are too many variables that way. But if you think you have a team to compete for the division title and fall short then that's different than not having the horses to compete for that title.