• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Angels looking to shed payroll

Second Base

For those of you that don't have a subscription to The Athletic -- here is the actual quote..

*The Los Angeles Angels might be trying to clear payroll for other pursuits. Rival executives say outfielder Kole Calhoun and right-handed reliever Blake Parker are highly available, while right-handed starter Matt Shoemaker, after missing most of the season with a right forearm strain, is considered a non-tender candidate.

It goes on to say that the three players mentioned look to cost about 18 mil this year after arbitration etc etc... and that the team MIGHT see that as money better spent elsewhere.  You can all calm your mammary glands now.

38 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

....Would be great if we're able to unload Calhoun, Cozart and Parker even if it means we're getting just lower level, B grade prospects in return. 

You would think Cozart needs to show he's healthy this spring before there would be any market for him....a team in need of a SS might bite, if he's healthy....

Boras mentioned Harper's potential as a 1st baseman and Harper himself worked out willingly at the position during the season. So I suppose it's possible that you sign him, he plays RF for a year and moves to 1B next year when Adell's ready and Pujols is presumably shuffled off into the sunset.

I say "possible" in the same sense that it's possible that I bump into Eva Green at the supermarket and she falls head over heels in love with me. It *could* happen.

56 minutes ago, jessecrall said:

Boras mentioned Harper's potential as a 1st baseman and Harper himself worked out willingly at the position during the season. So I suppose it's possible that you sign him, he plays RF for a year and moves to 1B next year when Adell's ready and Pujols is presumably shuffled off into the sunset.

I say "possible" in the same sense that it's possible that I bump into Eva Green at the supermarket and she falls head over heels in love with me. It *could* happen.

I agree that those scenarios are of equal likelihood.  

I think a lot of this has to do with Eppler trying to predict the availability of replacements.  If you can get someone to take on Kole's contract and replace him with a platoon of Andrew Toles and Mike Hermosillo at league minimum while adding a bad contract pitcher similar to what they did with Nolasco then it's an interesting play.  Especially if it frees up money to add Ramos or another player to help the offense.  

some potential equal contracts:

Jake Odorizzi - 3rd year arb of about 9m
Jason Vargas - 1yr/8m + 2m buyout in 2020
Tanner Roark - Arb3 of about 10m.  would probably require the inclusion of a low level prospect.  
Julio Teheran - 1/11.17m with a 1m buyout in 2020
Kevin Gausman - Arb2 of about 9m
Andrew Cashner - 1/9.5m 
Ivan Nova - 1/9.17m 

The way I see it, if the Angels were somehow able to unload those contracts and spend 45 million instead of 30 million AND get greater production in RF for 5 million, all for it. Suddenly we're looking at being able to sign two different starters at 20 million apiece. 

Or even a 10 million dollar option and a 20. Like Kikuchi and Keuchel or Happ and Eovaldi. 

That rotation would be looking very imposing.

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think a lot of this has to do with Eppler trying to predict the availability of replacements.  If you can get someone to take on Kole's contract and replace him with a platoon of Andrew Toles and Mike Hermosillo at league minimum while adding a bad contract pitcher similar to what they did with Nolasco then it's an interesting play.  Especially if it frees up money to add Ramos or another player to help the offense.  

some potential equal contracts:

Jake Odorizzi - 3rd year arb of about 9m
Jason Vargas - 1yr/8m + 2m buyout in 2020
Tanner Roark - Arb3 of about 10m.  would probably require the inclusion of a low level prospect.  
Julio Teheran - 1/11.17m with a 1m buyout in 2020
Kevin Gausman - Arb2 of about 9m
Andrew Cashner - 1/9.5m 
Ivan Nova - 1/9.17m 

I wouldn't mind trading Calhoun for Julio Teheran.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

You would think Cozart needs to show he's healthy this spring before there would be any market for him....a team in need of a SS might bite, if he's healthy....

Oh yeah I get it. If he's playing well in ST, as well as Ward, Rengifo and Fletcher, he's definitely expendable and an attraction to a team needing a 2B, SS or 3B. 

small sample of Hermosillo in mlb vs. LHers last year 

.261/.370/.435/.805.  in 23 at bats

2018 minors vs lefties: .900 ops 
2017 minors vs lefties: .737 ops
2016 minors vs. lefties: .1.119 ops 

I think you're seeing someone's RF platoon partner and 4th OFer who can backup CF.  

Lonnie Chisenhall on 1/4?  hits RHers decently well.  Can also play 1b/3b/CF.  

If you can move Kole for a back end starter with a similar contract, you've filled one of your rotation spots and only spent 4m while getting a player that can flex into the IF if needed.  

That's an Eppler type move if I've ever seen one.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think you're seeing someone's RF platoon partner and 4th OFer who can backup CF.  

If you can move Kole for a back end starter with a similar contract, you've filled one of your rotation spots and only spent 4m while getting a player that can flex into the IF if needed.  

Even if he can't move Calhoun, the guy is utterly incapable of hitting LHP the last few years. He could use a platoon partner that doubles as a 4th OF. Sounds a lot like Hermosillo, though it may not be a bad idea to let him log more time in AAA to develop.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Calhoun I can see, but Parker and Shoemaker? Both are cheap and could be valuable. The only way it makes sense is if the front office has no faith in Shoemaker becoming healthy, or they're going after someone like Familia.

My guess is that they think they'll get him for less than his arb number.  

39 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I am not opposed to the player I think he would hit well against RHP in particular but he is not going to sign a 1-year deal in my opinion. 2-3 years is a lot more likely at more money. If that is true then he is blocking Adell unnecessarily.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Parker seems like a great candidate to move now, in my opinion.

not sure if they had any offers, but I would have moved him at the previous deadline.  I could see the Reds, Nats, Indians, Cards, or Mets making a run at him.  If you can get a Ty Buttrey type for him, they should absolutely do that.