• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Angels looking to shed payroll

Second Base

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/rosenthals-latest-greinke-santana-angels-harper-orioles-machado.html

Kole Calhoun, Blake Parker and Matt Shoemaker are cited. I'm probably one of the bigger proponents of trading Calhoun, but I admit I am curious to see how he performs with a hitting coach who has "fixed" his swing before. Blake Parker isn't operating on a guaranteed contract, so I don't see any reason why the Angels should feel like they're stuck there. They could trade him and a dozen teams would probably offer a low level prospect for him. And as far as Shoemaker goes, 4 million for a starting pitcher is pretty reasonable all things considered. If he were a free agent, he'd probably get a guaranteed 2-3 million with incentives. If there's room, I'd like to see them keep Shoe in the bullpen and handle multiple innings, and then move him into the rotation in the event of injury. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

my guess is its shedding to make room for someone else or many someone else's...pretty sure that's not a word but lets go with it.

If thats the case the person better be a lot better than the names were linked to to make losing Show for another pitcher make sense.  Plus who the hell actually plays RF if we deal Kole?  One thing we learned last year is that we dont really have  another RF.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

If thats the case the person better be a lot better than the names were linked to to make losing Show for another pitcher make sense.  Plus who the hell actually plays RF if we deal Kole?  One thing we learned last year is that we dont really have  another RF.

Just to stir up trouble, there is a right fielder on the market.

3,2,1... Go nuts! 

Just now, floplag said:

But.. just to be a disk since im good at it .... we wont have any money for them if it goes to arms.  Besides were cutting payroll remember :)  

IF they trade Kole and Blake and non tender Shoe, that gives them close to 50M in the parameters that Jeff Fletcher mentioned including the original 30. At that point they could sign the head and shoulders commercial model, attempt a trade for DeGrom, sign Suzuki and then a couple of turd burglars for the pen. That all fits the 50M box.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

With Adell not far away, Kole becomes that much closer to being traded/not-resigned anyway.

I'd definitely trade Parker for a lower level prospect maybe crowded out in another org.

Shoe is intriguing, in that he could handle a multitude of roles. 

Most of those roles start with a number like 15 day or 60 day

21 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

IF they trade Kole and Blake and non tender Shoe, that gives them close to 50M in the parameters that Jeff Fletcher mentioned including the original 30. At that point they could sign the head and shoulders commercial model, attempt a trade for DeGrom, sign Suzuki and then a couple of turd burglars for the pen. That all fits the 50M box.

That model is very expensive for an up and down seasons performer, granted he would not be the flop that the other Head and Shoulders model RF was here.  I'd rather go with a one year inexpensive stop gap (hopefully not as bad as Joyce) in Kole's place, until Adell is ready.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

That model is very expensive, granted he would not be the flop that the other Head and Shoulders model RF was here.

They just need to stick with bald guys lol

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

LOL

Although Fletch has mentioned that the main injury was the one that was misdiagnosed originally.   He may well be fine, for now.  

I really like Shoe, I think when healthy he is a perfect back end of the rotation guy. I'm wondering if he wouldn't just be better in the pen. His splitter could be really nice to induce some ground balls late in innings.

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I am frequently wrong but I'm not sure Calhoun has much trade value if you want a team to pick up the entire 10 million he is owed....

I'm okay with trading him for a lower level prospect blocked in a strong farm system, and then the other team taking on the great majority of that 2019 contract.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

The team that trades for him has already been promised a Mike Trout autographed rally monkey. That's got to count for something right?

Corrected the #....he is owed 10.5....that much more unlikely he has much of a market....

Curious.  This can be interpreted in many different ways.  

My gut reaction is 'what the f**k!?'  Arte can't afford a payroll of $175mil?  If that's the case then maybe having the 8th highest revenue doesn't get you what it used to.  

Then I see the names mentioned and think that maybe they're just trying to figure out how to get better value. 

Parker can be replaced for less than 3.1m. 

If someone is willing to take on Calhoun's 2019 salary plus 2020 buyout of 1m then it would be interesting to see who we use to replace him.  If we get a platoon that includes Jabari Blash, I'm gonna go nuts.  If Herm becomes the everyday RFer for now, I don't think that's a good idea either.  Maybe they will try to exchange bad contracts and get a pitcher

Why don't they try to move Cozart's salary?  Seems as if someone would take that on in need of a SS.  

Shoe seems like a cheap back of the rotation starter and depth piece.  If they think they can get him for less, then I guess they should try but what are they going to save?  1-2m?  

@Jeff Fletcher any insight on this?