• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Angels looking to shed payroll

Second Base

Going all in this year would be kind of like betting your whole stack on a pair of 8's. Maybe you get lucky, but chances are you're going to walk out much worse than you came in and the chances of being successful were bad to begin with.

Sure, we'd probably make the playoffs, but what moves exactly could we make that put us over NY, Boston, or Houston in 2019? It's one thing to make short-term moves to stay competitive, and, if everything works out, make the playoffs. It is quite another to blow up payroll and the farm *again* on a long shot. 

Does it suck that we're wasting Trout and Ohtani's golden years? Yeah, but that's not Eppler's fault - blame Dipooto. Crying about it doesn't change things. Eppler's approach, while frustrating in some ways, is the best path to winning a WS. If he doesn't go this route, we probably lose any shot of a championship in the next decade. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

just like you said so on it being necessary, it does cut both ways in case you didnt realize that.  

Yes, but I used facts.  The team didn’t have the talent to keep signing guys to try to win now.  So they signed one guy they think can be really good going forward (Upton) and convinced Ohtani to sign here, and then built a farm system.  You use your imagination to pretend there was a way to compete without giving up draft picks and build a team that would have been a winner even though to make it to the playoffs this year you had to win 95 games.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, but I used facts.  The team didn’t have the talent to keep signing guys to try to win now.  So they signed one guy they think can be really good going forward (Upton) and convinced Ohtani to sign here, and then built a farm system.  You use your imagination to pretend there was a way to compete without giving up draft picks and build a team that would have been a winner even though to make it to the playoffs this year you had to win 95 games.  

You yourself put up a plan that would work if they spent more, now you accuse me of imagination?   Yours is vivid though if youre convinced Trout signs on for a rebuild.  

1 minute ago, floplag said:

You yourself put up a plan that would work if they spent more, now you accuse me of imagination?   Yours is vivid though if youre convinced Trout signs on for a rebuild.  

They have been rebuilding since Eppler arrived.  Sorry you can’t understand that.  And Doc has told you many times that Trout will be more focused on the future than the now, but you ignore it, always.  

9 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Can people stop telling us what Trout is or isn’t focused on. Not one person here minus Fletcher has ever spoken to him for more than 2 minutes or had an in depth convo with him about his future. 

I haven’t, but you are dead wrong about this.  

Just now, Kevinb said:

Bullshit none of these owners are losing any money. People wouldn't be dying to buy sports franchises the way they are if owners were losing money. 

I was basically replying to the post before this one.  I doubt they are losing money.  That being said of course they would still buy teams because the franchise value keeps going up.