• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Adell really that good?

Torridd

I was just reading the Kluber thread and it seems many here don't want to make any significant trades because they think they will lose a gold mine in Adell. I remember all the Brandon Wood talk and we were so keyed up about him and he was a big-time bust. Would someone tell me what makes Adell different?

4 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I was just reading the Kluber thread and it seems many here don't want to make any significant trades because they think they will lose a gold mine in Adell. I remember all the Brandon Wood talk and we were so keyed up about him and he was a big-time bust. Would someone tell me what makes Adell different?

He could turn into Brandon Wood or he can turn into Mike Trout. What would you rather risk?

With that kind of thinking maybe we should have traded Trout and Ohtani when we had the chance.

Just now, JarsOfClay said:

He could turn into Brandon Wood or he can turn into Mike Trout. What would you rather risk?

With that kind of thinking maybe we should have traded Trout and Ohtani when we had the chance.

Trade Ohtani? What? He wasn't a prospect in our minor league system. But you are right they should have signed Ohtani then traded him? Odd.....

At some point you have to roll the dice with your most promising prospects, it's the only way to get cost controlled superior talent and take a jump forward.  You are not going to screw someone in a trade, and it's not likely to be cheap.  And we have discussed free agents to death.  The only other source is the international market, that can be really expensive as well for top talent, and everyone is in on it.

We don't know enough about Adell to suddenly give up on what he could bring to the party.

2 minutes ago, Barrett said:

Trade Ohtani? What? He wasn't a prospect in our minor league system. But you are right they should have signed Ohtani then traded him? Odd.....

What does this have to do with Adell?

Off topic, but he was considered the top prospect in baseball after the angels signed him, and yes they could have traded him after they signed him.

I was curious what non-Angel fans thought about Adell so just did a quick search and in the first two articles that came up he's ranked #2 overall in the first one and as one of the 3 OF'ers mentioned in the other.  The second article lists a starting roster without ranking the players and when referring to Adell says:

"Not since the rise of Mike Trout have the Angels produced a player with anywhere near the same galaxy of talent that Adell possesses. He projects as a top-shelf center fielder, who could develop into a Reggie Sanders/Eric Davis type due to the big arm, speed and power potential he easily wields. He reached Double A as a 19-year-old and looks equipped to continue his quick push toward an Angels roster that needs him sooner than later."

Only time will tell but it seems he's thought of highly so that's not a player you part with unless he brings in the piece or pieces that get you over the hump.  The Angels have multiple needs and they've been restocking the system to work towards the future and I don't see them as viewing Kluber or someone like him as the piece.

prospects always come with risk.  regardless of what we think of him, it's all about what the club thinks of him.  

I think that was very true of Wood.  dude came off a monster 2005 with 101 xbh.  Was very good again at AA in 2006.  Then kinda tailed off a bit in AAA in 2007 which led to a brief cup of coffee.  Then he got a shot early in 2008 at age 23 and I think it was clear to everyone in the org that he's was never going to be a superstar.  

Adell has way more upside. As much as any prospect in the game right now or at least that's the perception.  But we'll get a better idea of who he's really going to be as 2019 unfolds.  

Chances are, if the halos don't think he's overrated as a prospect then other teams have likely come to that conclusion as well.  If a team is willing to give up more for him than would have been expected based on internal valuations then he could get traded.  

My guess though, is that the team is very high on him and he's probably untouchable.  There's still a ways to go and it may not work out, but my guess is that he's an avg to slightly above major league player within 2 years at his floor.  

6 minutes ago, Barrett said:

I had someone tell me they wouldn't trade Adell for DeGrom straight up. 

I had someone tell me that they would trade Adell for the "right" player, straight up.  He works at my local grocery store, begging groceries, and he hates athletic black guys with bushy eyebrows.

no one is the next Trout.  

no one is thinking that Adell is the next Trout.  If they are, then that's dumb.  

Adell is a tremendous talent who will continue to follow his own trajectory.  We're all very excited to see if he can make use of that talent at the major league level but no one is expecting Trout or even Soto or Acuna or Betts.  

My current expectation for him is in the George Springer range.  

Adell's athleticism is unmatched.  There's no way he's Trout because no one is Trout.  There never was a Trout and there my never be another.  Same with Shohei and the same with Simmons.  Just unbelievably unique talent here in Anaheim and Adell will fit right in. 

As for the question, is he THAT good, I suppose I'd need you to characterize what "THAT" is exactly. 

If it's Trout, then no, Adell isn't THAT good. 

If it's Calhoun, yeah, Adell is even better than THAT. 

If it's a future all-star, then yeah, I believe Adell is THAT good. 

To me, the high end is a .290 hitter that blasts 40 HR's and steals 30 bases.  His OBP and batting average would be solidly below Trout and his defense would be about even.  That's the high end, meaning he's a perennial MVP candidate, expected to finish Top 5 each year. 

The low of course is that he's a toolsy 4th OF, because in that scenario he wouldn't have been able to make enough contact or his pitch recognition would never properly develop which would keep his BA and OBP too low.  Sort of like a less fast, but more powerful Billy Hamilton. 

The middle ground is a good every day player and occasional all-star.  I think he'll settle in as the sort that hits .260 or .270, gets on base around .330, hits 30 HR's and steals 20 bases and plays very solid defense.  Basically, Justin Upton, but faster and MUCH better defense.  Or George Springer with less on base ability and faster.  Or a more athletic, stronger Torii Hunter.  

That's what I believe Jo Adell is going to be.