• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Adell really that good?

Torridd

There are two extremes: Trout and Wood and it is equally ridiculous to cite either as what a top prospect is likely to become. Chances are Adell will be somewhere in-between.

But yeah, he's a really good prospect. I consider him an A- on the Sickels scale (and guess he'll rank him that himself). There are only a couple dozen A- prospects at any one time.

Here the deal, we are not at a position where we can start trading off out top prospects Yet. lets say you do trade Adell, Canning and Marsh for Kluber, Who takes over Rf the following year?  We do not have that guy in the system anymore, so next choice would be to pay an overpriced aging veteran ( we have done that Quite a lot), and now lets look at Kluber! he'll be 33 next year with a high chance of his body wearing down......So would you risk trading a package that mentioned for 33 year old pitcher that has been overworked? 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Whatever... he was god, discussion closed... lol  
I wouldnt trade him for Degrom and Realmuto...
There... better?  

This is one statement that I would agree with.

Both deGrom and Realmuto have about $60M-$70M of surplus value. Adell, as a top flight position player prospect probably has something on the order of $75M in current surplus value based on his likely ranking (Top 10) and where he is at in his development.

The problem is that the Mets and Marlins will certainly try to extract Jo in any trade discussion, making an Adell-based trade very likely impossible. Right now deGrom and Realmuto are "finishing" pieces to a team that can afford to give up the high price currency to acquire them. As much as I like both of them they seem very unlikely to be added over the off-season by the Angels.

4 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Jeter isn't even on the map defensively. He had the good fortune of playing on several championship teams, and people remember him as being better than he was. ARod was a product of steroids. Tejada and Nomar? All time greats? Put down the crack pipe.

None of the players you named had Simmons' defensive skills.

ARod 930 OPS 696 HR 

Tejada 791 OPS 307 HR

Jeter 817 OPS 260 HR

Nomar 882 OPS 229 HR

Simmons 698 OPS 60 HR 

Simmons is great at what he does. Let's put down the crack pipe on him being the greatest and once in a life time player. We have seen great short stops before. 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

63 at bats in AA as a 19yo and the youngest player in the league tempered your enthusiasm?  I feel like that's pretty unreasonable.  

What did you think when Trout had a .672 ops in his first 123 at bats in the majors?  

First no one and I mean no one thought Trout would do this! Come on now. You thought after 123 at bats he was going to be the best player in baseball the next season? Really? 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

ARod 930 OPS 696 HR 

Tejada 791 OPS 307 HR

Jeter 817 OPS 260 HR

Nomar 882 OPS 229 HR

Simmons 698 OPS 60 HR 

Simmons is great at what he does. Let's put down the crack pipe on him being the greatest and once in a life time player. We have seen great short stops before. 

I am pretty sure they were talking about his defense being generational and it is.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am pretty sure they were talking about his defense being generational and it is.  

Simmons can be other worldly on defense that's great. I am arguing there have been other great short stops and it isn't like we haven't seen them before. He said Simmons has never been seen before. I disagree. He never mentioned defense or anything just that Simmons is basically the best short stop of all time. I am just saying what we just saw with the last generation of short stops. Also to your other point statistically the best? of all time? according to who? or what stats? 

49 minutes ago, notherhalo said:

Id be more than happy with what Mike Cameron did for SEA when Ken Griffey Jr departed, from the new kid

Wait what?!?!?! You are saying you'd be happy with Mike Cameron as the Adell comp? And Mike Cameron is a once in a generation number 2 prospect that would never be traded even for another ML super star/Ace pitcher? Are we talking about the same Mike Cameron? 

Simmons can be other worldly on defense that's great. I am arguing there have been other great short stops and it isn't like we haven't seen them before. He said Simmons has never been seen before. I disagree. He never mentioned defense or anything just that Simmons is basically the best short stop of all time. I am just saying what we just saw with the last generation of short stops. Also to your other point statistically the best? of all time? according to who? or what stats? 

If you can’t figure out he was talking about defensively that is on you.  He is the best defensive short stop ever, I don’t really care if you agree or disagree.  It won’t hurt my feelings.  We really have seen someone with his range, instincts and arm as well as a guy that virtually never makes a bad throw.  

Wait what?!?!?! You are saying you'd be happy with Mike Cameron as the Adell comp? And Mike Cameron is a once in a generation number 2 prospect that would never be traded even for another ML super star/Ace pitcher? Are we talking about the same Mike Cameron? 

Who called Adell a once in a generation prospect?  

Also Mike Cameron put up quite a few 4 and 5 win seasons, six of them.  Not bad.  He also put up four 3 win seasons.  That is a very good career.  So yea, I could see why he would want that career over trading for a 30 year old Ace with two years of club control.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also Mike Cameron put up quite a few 4 and 5 win seasons, six of them.  Not bad.  He also put up four 3 win seasons.  That is a very good career.  So yea, I could see why he would want that career over trading for a 30 year old Ace with two years of club control.  

Ya um Mike Cameron played in a huge steroid era and put up ok numbers. That is not untouchable.

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Hes talking about the Mike Cameron that outperformed Ken Griffey Jr. from the time he was traded for him until they both retired ... by like 20 bWAR.   The same Griffey that was a 1st ballot HOFer.

Cameron wasn't the sort of guy that turned heads but he's better than you likely realize. 

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you can’t figure out he was talking about defensively that is on you.  He is the best defensive short stop ever, I don’t really care if you agree or disagree.  It won’t hurt my feelings.  We really have seen someone with his range, instincts and arm as well as a guy that virtually never makes a bad throw.  

I hope that wouldn't hurt your feelings. How are you comparing him to other short stops? Just by defensive war? Which people have said that it isn't super accurate? Or just recency because that is what you have seen lately and you're an Angels fan. Saying someone is the greatest defensive short stop of all time is pretty high praise. You didn't say he was one of the best you said he is the best. Better have some numbers that back that up. To the other poster he didn't mention defense he strictly just said Simmons is someone we've never seen before. You can interpret that however you would want to. 

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hes talking about the Mike Cameron that outperformed Ken Griffey Jr. from the time he was traded for him until they both retired ... by like 20 bWAR.   The same Griffey that was a 1st ballot HOFer.

Cameron wasn't the sort of guy that turned heads but he's better than you likely realize. 

He is better than I realized I looked up his numbers and went oh ok. But he isn't someone you build your team around and he isn't someone that is untouchable. He put up under an 800 OPS in the heart of the steroid era of baseball. Color me not impressed.