• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

yep.  for sure.  

notably high priced relievers (anything over about 3m per) and any OFer that is likely a starter or over 5 mil per.  

As for the C spot, this is probably one of the better supply years there has been in a long time.  

Tier 1 - Realmuto - a star player with an excellent all around game

Tier 2 - Grandal, Ramos, Suzuki (will be the cheapest due to age)

Tier 3 - Chirinos (another potential super cheap option know to handle pitcher well with a decent obp.  poor framer), Maldy, Hundley, Wieters, Lucroy, McCann, Mesoraco

other guys we could target in trade:

Elias Diaz - backup in PIT.  unlikely to pry him away as he came into his own this year offensively.  The bucs are more likely to trade away Cervelli who could also be a possibility.  
Sal Perez - not a fan personally.  have always thought him to be overrated.  Terrible framer.  low obp.  
Barnhart - terrible framing stats and below avg bat.  probably wouldn't be dirt cheap in trade either
Kevin Plawecki - Mets backup.  not a great framer but grades out well by other metrics.  probably avg to slightly above with the bat for a C. 
James McCann - terrible offensively this year.  decent last year.  poor framer.  very good defender otherwise.  could be a buy low candidate.  
Tyler Flowers - if ATL gets Realmuto, he could be a solid option.  good offense in 2016/17.  ok in 2018.  Good framing metrics.  (Suzuki's are horrible btw).  good defender otherwise
Yan Gomes - solid all around.  kinda pricey.  
Alex Avila - very good with the bat in 2017.  just as awful in 2018.  avg farmer.  good defense.  
Austin Hedges - good framer.  good defense.  improving with the bat.  Only 24 and improving with the bat.  Would cost a ton in trade with 4 years of control left.  

We're gonna get someone new back there or we stand to be the worst in all of baseball if we leave it how it is.  I think we'll end up with someone like Suzuki.  My sleeper want is Diaz for PIT.  

BTW, word has it that the Marlins turned down a package that included Victor Robles for Realmuto last year.  We don't need to try to compete with that.  

Dodgers offered Grandal arbitration. Kinda surprised me. My guess is they want him to walk but want the pick. I mean they benched the guy during the World Series.  I wouldn't be shocked if he took it.

Ramos was very good last year. I'd love to get him. 

31 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Dodgers offered Grandal arbitration. Kinda surprised me. My guess is they want him to walk but want the pick. I mean they benched the guy during the World Series.  I wouldn't be shocked if he took it.

Or, they want him back or want a draft pick but don’t want to make a multi year commitment and they’re willing to pay more for one year to make it difficult for him to sign elsewhere. 

36 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

there was really no reason for them not to, it was win win, but it will also hurt his value so i dont think hes happy about it.

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

That was last year. Carve another year of club control and his prospect package drops. Of course this is the Marlins and they could be jerk and just keep a player that doesn't want to be there. 

I meant at the trade deadline.  Robles is the #4 prospect in baseball.  My point is really that there's zero chance of a deal to bring him here unless it includes Adell.  

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

It’s a shame Marwin Gonzales’s agent is Scott Boras  ... switch hitter 1B Outfield 

may work in our favor actually.  Gonzalez is the type of guy Boras has a tendency to overvalue where he ends up getting a 1yr deal for a lot less than expected.  Kinda like Moustakas.  

28 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

I had doubts that he'd sign anywhere else. This will most likely be his farwell tour. Best to chase that ring.

I wonder if the Yanks are going to try to stay under the CBT for 2019.  I doubt it.  My guess is that they get Corbin and trade for Kluber or some other front line starter like Paxton.  

There's gonna be a ton of competition for SP this year.  All the top teams from last year will be looking to improve like Houston, NYY, BOS, likely the Dogs, Braves, A's and Brewers.  Then you've got a whole mess of teams that are going to want to start to compete and desperately need pitching like Philly, Reds, Padres, and maybe even the white sox.  The latter of those teams could really drive up prices in order to lure free agents.  

I know we need pitching, but wondering if it might be worth dangling Skaggs or Heaney to see if some team would overpay for some controlled or near ready major league talent.  Maybe we could get Johan Camargo and a prospect for Skaggs if the braves sign Machado.  

If you could get Camargo and and one of Gohara/Wilson/Allard/Muller for Skaggs, would you do it?  Or how about Austin Riley and and one of those braves pitchers I mentioned?  

The Braves have so many arms it's crazy.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I wonder if the Yanks are going to try to stay under the CBT for 2019.  I doubt it.  My guess is that they get Corbin and trade for Kluber or some other front line starter like Paxton.  

There's gonna be a ton of competition for SP this year.  All the top teams from last year will be looking to improve like Houston, NYY, BOS, likely the Dogs, Braves, A's and Brewers.  Then you've got a whole mess of teams that are going to want to start to compete and desperately need pitching like Philly, Reds, Padres, and maybe even the white sox.  The latter of those teams could really drive up prices in order to lure free agents.  

I know we need pitching, but wondering if it might be worth dangling Skaggs or Heaney to see if some team would overpay for some controlled or near ready major league talent.  Maybe we could get Johan Camargo and a prospect for Skaggs if the braves sign Machado.  

If you could get Camargo and and one of Gohara/Wilson/Allard/Muller for Skaggs, would you do it?  Or how about Austin Riley and and one of those braves pitchers I mentioned?  

I would definitely be open to letting Skaggs go if that’s the kind of return we could get. That would be another future TORP to pair with Canning, Ohtani, Barria, Suarez, Heaney etc. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I would completely trade anyone one or multiples of our pitchers for prospects right now. If the thought process is we aren't going to compete for a title this year, why not amass all the assets we can and get our payroll down. If people are over paying get in on it why not. 

10 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

17 million for a guy benched during the World Series seems like a lot to me

Do they have better?  for at least next year?  Sure its high, he likely doesnt get 17 on the open market, but i think its a stop gap for them so why not.  If he takes it problem solved for 19, If he doesnt take it they get the draft pick and sign someone for less.    Hes the best overall C on the market right now not named Realmuto so, no brainer either way.
Now will he take it is another story... i suspect not.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Agree that had to be it.  It's also both sides agreeing on how much money is on either side of the opt out which is where things can get sticky.  

That too. He probably wants it to be front loaded with an opt out on the declining years to pave the way for a guaranteed opt out, unless of course he falls off a cliff in which the opt in makes sense. Similar to how Kershaw's worked. No way he was getting 30 million from another team after this last year.

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Of Course!  Who doesn't want to visit Disneyland?

Pretty much this.  
It doesnt have to be this, but it will be this.
This might be the one time it makes total sense to go ham in FA so to speak, but i dont think its remotely possible realistically.

I guess if Harper turns  that much money and years down, maybe he just doesn’t want to play for Washington. As for him coming here there is no way as we need to take care of Trout’s extension, and we need pitchers and relievers, and a catcher unless Mr. Moreno is going to blow past his spending limits on payroll.