• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

On 10/30/2018 at 6:55 AM, Kody Mac said:

Everyone keeps talking about how the Giants are a long shot to sign Harper, but I think that's the prime destination for him. It's close to home for him and he grew up watching Bonds put balls into McCovey Cove. I think the Giants need to make a bunch of moves to stay relevant and compete, but signing Harper is a good start. Great for the fan base too. 

He grew up in Las Vegas, Nevada, the Giants are blacked out there.

38 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The agent turned GM the Mets hired could definitely shake things up a bit 

Wasn't the guy who constructed the Warriors basketball team formerly an agent?  I like it when teams do something different to shake things up.  It's thinking that is "out of the... oh never mind.

20 hours ago, TroutField said:

That is pretty much the model of how you rebuild a franchise. That took like 5 years, and they have low payroll, a plethora of good young players, and a lot of pitching on the way. They did it better than Houston did, IMO. 

While true, its also not that simple.
They also traded a lot of years of bad baseball. 
And as we know from upcoming issues in Houston frequently discussed here, its also hard to maintain when you have a bunch of great young players that all start to get expensive around the same time.
I dont believe you have to go to ground zero to do this, and i think most teams that did this do so for financial reasons, not competitive ones.
We also have an added issues they dont, how to handle the best player on the planet who is not going to want any part of a rebuild.  

It'll be really interesting to see how this market moves. 

Last year, I don't know if it was collusion or not, but teams were playing hardball in free agent negotiations. They just aren't spending like they used to, except on the elite targets. Last year, those elite targets held up the market, well into January. Machado and Harper are going to hold out for the most money possible, they might hold up the market just like last year. 

Then again, this years free agents saw what happened to the ones that waited last year, and won't be interested in that happening to them. They'll be eager to sign quick.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly teams move on from Harper and Machado. If it's fast, it'll be an eventful November and December. If not, it'll be a very boring Winter. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Last year, I don't know if it was collusion or not, but teams were playing hardball in free agent negotiations. They just aren't spending like they used to, except on the elite targets. Last year, those elite targets held up the market, well into January. Machado and Harper are going to hold out for the most money possible, they might hold up the market just like last year. 

Then again, this years free agents saw what happened to the ones that waited last year, and won't be interested in that happening to them. They'll be eager to sign quick.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly teams move on from Harper and Machado. If it's fast, it'll be an eventful November and December. If not, it'll be a very boring Winter. 

Agreed. I personally think Harper signs before Machado though.

45 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think Machado will sign at the winter meetings.  I've got a sneaking suspicion that Harper is going to re-sign with the Nats here in the next couple days.  The mid market guys are going to sign much sooner this year.  There are fewer boars clients I think and the trades of the Marlins OF took a bunch of time. 

Trades of the upper echelon guys seem to hold up the market for that position.  So this year, the catcher market will move slower than everything else because of realmuto and the fact that there are other options on the market like Grandal, Ramos and Suzuki.  The reliever market will go early as always.  I think SP will go quick as well in that Corbin will set the market with the yankees moving early and then trickle down from there.  I think the position player market will move pretty quick in the mid tier

I'm not feeling a  ton of big trades this year.  Most of the crappy teams with a couple good players have already move those guys.   

some teams that could potentially trade guys off - TOR, MIN, PIT, TEX, ARI