• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wil Myers

Jeff Fletcher

22 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

He's a solid player for sure, but San Diego is looking to contend VERY VERY soon.

I don't see much motivation for them to move him.

I'll believe this when I see some of their prospects making an impact at the Major League level. A lot of them haven't even reached the Bigs yet.

And they squandered a lot of their budget on Eric Hosmer in an awful free agent deal. I don't see their path to contention being as quick as you do at all. Lot of holes to fill

48 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If we are going to look for a target, Eugenio Suarez.

27 yrs old.  Solid as it gets.  Under contract through 2024.

It is reasonable to believe he would be a solution at 3rd base for the next 5 years.

I am perfectly willing to trade something of value for him.

He isn't a rental, he isn't expensive, and he plays a position of need.

I would give them Jones or Marsh, Ward, and one of the pitchers in the Angels 10-15 ranking range.

Depending on the Rondons needed to acquire him, could negate the need to sign Arenado or Machado, and then if Suarez left via FA, Maitan hopefully can take over.  

Myers is hard to gauge.    He might be intriguing, but he's also kind of all over the place health wise and offense wise.   I can't see paying 4 years/$74 million ($1 million buyout on 2023 season) for that.

9 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Now, if he's traded to the Angels in this hypothetical scenario, I highly doubt his OPS is near .850 since Angels Stadium isn't exactly a hitter's haven.

I'm guessing a healthy season puts him in the .820's 115 OPS+ 3.5-4 WAR territory, which would give us another Upton, but hopefully at 3B/1B.

Could you move him to 1st base and then get Arenado/Machado for 3rd? If they add a catcher that team would be awesome. Trout would finally have players to play with.

My 2 cents...

Myers best position is 1B, and the Padres now have Hosmer there. So he doesn’t really fit. He can move around but he’s not that great at anything defensively.

Also, the fact that he’s going to be making $22M a year in 20-22 is perhaps incentive for the Padres to trade him, without asking for a ton in return because of the contract.

So would the Angels want that contract? It’s a little heavy for what he is, but that will be true for any free agent, and free agents are older. 

He’s also a pretty tidy fit in that he can play 1B and 3B. He could slide very nicely into an everyday 1B role someday. 

He’s not a great hitter but if he’s batting 6th, he’s pretty good. 

He also doesn’t cost much in 2019, so you could have extra money for maybe a one-year pitcher rental to hold Ohtani’s spot. 

I could be wrong. Maybe the Padres love him at 3B or maybe the Angels hate his contract, but I thought it was a guy worth some message board fodder when nothing else is going on. 

Just now, Barrett said:

Could you move him to 1st base and then get Arenado/Machado for 3rd? If they add a catcher that team would be awesome. Trout would finally have players to play with.

According to his defensive splits, he spent 2013 - 2015 in the OF, 2016 and 2017 at 1B and this season LF and 3B.  Seems pretty versatile...

20 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My 2 cents...

Myers best position is 1B, and the Padres now have Hosmer there. So he doesn’t really fit. He can move around but he’s not that great at anything defensively.

Also, the fact that he’s going to be making $22M a year in 20-22 is perhaps incentive for the Padres to trade him, without asking for a ton in return because of the contract.

So would the Angels want that contract? It’s a little heavy for what he is, but that will be true for any free agent, and free agents are older. 

He’s also a pretty tidy fit in that he can play 1B and 3B. He could slide very nicely into an everyday 1B role someday. 

He also doesn’t cost much in 2019, so you could have extra money for maybe a one-year pitcher rental to hold Ohtani’s spot. 

I could be wrong. Maybe the Padres love him at 3B or maybe the Angels hate his contract, but I thought it was a guy worth some message board fodder when nothing else is going on. 

I wouldn't allocate 20+ million for a rotational player. I'd rather sink that into the rotation and bullpen.

20 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My 2 cents...

I understand the angle.  The Padres may find themselves in a situation where they are almost giving him away because of the contract.

Yes maybe if he hits 6th he doesn't hurt you.

Taking on a fat contract for someone you need to bat 6th so he doesn't hurt you makes me throw up in my mouth.

17 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I understand the angle.  The Padres may find themselves in a situation where they are almost giving him away because of the contract.

Yes maybe if he hits 6th he doesn't hurt you.

Taking on a fat contract for someone you need to bat 6th so he doesn't hurt you makes me throw up in my mouth.

I understand that but if you only want blue-chip, risk-free stars, you’re going to spend a ton or empty out the farm system. The only way to efficiently get those guys is to develop them yourself. 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I understand that but if you only want blue-chip, risk-free stars, you’re going to spend a ton or empty out the farm system. The only way to efficiently get those guys is to develop them yourself. 

Yes.  And when your farm system looks like it will start feeding your roster with good inexpensive players then you can afford to dip into the elite free agent market here and there for strategic additions.  It is unrealistic that your system will produce an entire wave of players to perfectly fill out each position.

We agree on most things but we evidently disagree that the Angels are now in the correct position to use free agency.

I would love to have Wil Myers on the team. He's been one of my favorite players for about three years now. However, he does have his weaknesses. Mainly, he strikeouts a lot and swings at a lot of junk. Doesn't walk all that much. Also, he's super streaky, kind of like Upton, so you're going to deal with a lot of up and downs. 

BUT, the guy fills up the stat sheet when it's all said and done and puts up some nice counting stats. The OBP and OPS could be higher, but it's respectable. He also steals bags, which is nice, but those totals will probably fall with age. 

Myers has had what some people would call a break out year, but to be honest, I see potential for even better numbers than he has put up in his best season. He's an exciting player and hits some nice la bombas. He's the type of player that I actually want the Angels to go for. A guy that's actually in his prime and can play 1st and 3rd base.  Another young and exciting player that you can add to the core of Trout, Ohtani, Simba, and Upton. He's a little expensive but he can easily be worth the money on his deal with a chance of even outperforming the rest of his contract. He would fit in very nicely at the 5 spot in the line up and if he fully untaps his potential, even better.

No idea if the Angels have him on their radar but I hope they do.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My 2 cents...

I think this is one of the more reasonable suggestions I've seen on this board. I don't think I'd make the move. 

I think he's a 1B only, unless it's an emergency. Penciling him in at 3B is a recipe for disaster.

As a 1B he's an upgrade over what they have and wouldn't cost as much as a good FA and probably wouldn't cost much in terms of talent but is he better than the alternatives?

To me, he's about the offensive equivalent of Moustakas (And I've been the most anti-Mous guy on the board). But I think a 105 - 120 OPS+ (110 is most realistic) is reasonable from both guys. I'd rather have Myers' OBP than Mous's power, but they are pretty close offensively. I have hammered Mous's defense in the past, but it seems to have rebounded a little and is still better at 3B than Myers and it's not close. He could move to 1B. A left handed bat would also be nice to balance the lineup. Now it comes down to price. Myers has what 3/$67 remaining plus whatever prospects it takes to acquire him. I think Moustakas would take much less than money and fewer years. He was traded mid-season so there is no draft pool consideration and no talent to give up. I think I'd rather take my chances with Mous than trade for Myers unless the Pads really want to get out of the contract and are willing to trade prospects/money to do it.

17 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Myers btw, would easily be our 4th best hitter.  If healthy over an entire season, I suspect he’d approach the same sort of offensive value that Justin Upton provides.  So, very good.  I’m not saying he’s Justin Upton, but he has that kind of upside. 

That's not fair. I think he'd be about equal to Simmons and probably significantly worse than Upton. 

Will Myers hasn't topped 120 OPS+ since his rookie year. Upton has done that 6 times in his career. His Career OPS+ is 109 Upton's is 121. 

4 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

That's not fair. I think he'd be about equal to Simmons and probably significantly worse than Upton. 

Will Myers hasn't topped 120 OPS+ since his rookie year. Upton has done that 6 times in his career. His Career OPS+ is 109 Upton's is 121. 

I think what @UndertheHalo was trying to say is that he has the potential to put up an Upton like season. Upton has had the better career, no doubt. Upton is a better hitter, but I think Myers can put up the same or similar numbers to Upton if he reaches his potential and stays healthy.

That's not a given however, but even if he doesn't he'd still be a nice player to have.

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I think what @UndertheHalo was trying to say is that he has the potential to put up an Upton like season. Upton has had the better career, no doubt. Upton is a better hitter, but I think Myers can put up the same or similar numbers to Upton if he reaches his potential and stays healthy.

That's not a given however, but even if he doesn't he'd still be a nice player to have.

Thanks, exactly what I was saying.