• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wil Myers

Jeff Fletcher

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When I was having a conversation with someone who knows, regarding the budget for next year, I threw out $40 million and was laughed at. That’s when I was told not to look at the CBT, but to look at the actual payroll in relation to past years. 

This year they spent something like $195M-ish on payroll. Right now they are 163ish for next year.

Machado is going to cost $30M+ a year and Corbin is probably going to be $14-18M. 

They also need a catcher and a fourth OF, at least. Probably an infielder too. 

Work with $30M and see what you can do. 

So once again the Pujols contract has F'd this team royally. 

Expect Cozart to be at 3B, Fletcher at 2B and the only place the Angels may upgrade will be catcher, 4th OF and maybe a bullpen arm.

12 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Expect Cozart to be at 3B, Fletcher at 2B and the only place the Angels may upgrade will be catcher, 4th OF and maybe a bullpen arm.

I'm frankly getting tired of this excuse.  They knew what it was when they signed it, they knew the long term effect it would likely have, using that as an excuse to not do things now is a complete copout as far as im concerned.  

29 minutes ago, floplag said:

I'm frankly getting tired of this excuse.  They knew what it was when they signed it, they knew the long term effect it would likely have, using that as an excuse to not do things now is a complete copout as far as im concerned.  

the team isn't using it as an excuse, message board posters are

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Agreed, though if the team is setting artificial spending limits, it sounds a little like they are without saying they are. 

You call it artificial they call it a flexible budget.  “They will go over for the right guy”. I think the right guy will be Trout, but we will see.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

You call it artificial they call it a flexible budget.  “They will go over for the right guy”. I think the right guy will be Trout, but we will see.  

We need more than Trout to win, that has become painfully obvious.  We have room under the tax to add, if they are not willing to do that then they should trade him.  

17 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I hope we sign a catcher that can hit, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't do a single thing to the lineup for 2019.  Where they just roll with Cozart, Fletcher and JMF for 2b, 3b and platoon 1b/3b.  

I don't think Eppler is ready to start trading from the top of our farm system. 

Catcher is the last position I want to upgrade, offensively. The position lends itself to too much injury and too many off days. Just get me a good defensive catcher, who can throw out runners and call a good game. Then, spend the money elsewhere. I just haven't watched Briceno and Arcia enough to know if they qualify in that regard. How are they?

I loved Maldonado, but he will get interest from other teams. I actually expect HOU to re-sign him, if they go far in the playoffs. He's hitting much better over there, than he did with us. The same solid player behind the plate. Lots of Latino players in HOU. Hey, birds of a feather..............

My fervent wish is that SOMEHOW Fernandez becomes a viable option for platooning at first with Albert, so we dont have to spend at that position, either. I dont want another "versatile" player who can play first and third. Myers bat isnt enough. Based on how many lefty starters we faced this year, Albert would only start 50 games at first. Still too many, but that's probably 35 fewer than he would have started this year if he was healthy all year. Make Ohtani the full time DH next year. That reduces Albert to only those 50 games, instead of the 117 he played this year. Figure Ohtani will need the occasional day off, so Albert goes up to 60 games.

Then, go out and get a real, solid hitting 3rd baseman to slot behind Trout and Ohtani. Versatility solved. You have three guys who can play third (acquisition, Fletch, Cozart), three guys who can play SS (Cozart, Fletcher, Simba) and two who can play 2nd (Fletch and Cozart). The two at first mentioned above. I'm thinking Donaldson. Manny is too much money.

I dont know what to do about Calhoun. I think you hope for the best and spend elsewhere.

Or maybe see about working him out at first as the platoon alternative to Fernandez and take a flyer on McCutcheon. With McCutcheon, you have a high OBP guy who would be a good leadoff hitter. Always draws a lot of walks and can still steal bases, go first to third or score on Trout's singles and doubles. I dont think Cutch will get a horribly expensive contract. He certainly isnt what he used to be. But he gets on base and has power and decent speed. Cutch, Trout, Ohtani, Donaldson, Upton, 1st base platoon, Simmons, catcher, 2nd base.

Then go Tampa Bay with the pitching, I guess. I just worry about spending big bucks on pitching. So prone to injuries. That's all we need.

This is a legendary free agent class this winter. We should take advantage of it.

3 hours ago, Lou said:

artificial ?

Yes, artificial, as in not based on available resources. We have room under the tax threshold we dont appear to be willing to use based on whats been floated around these forums.   

We make 150 M per year on the TV deal alone.  The luxury tax for next year will be 206 M i think or thereabouts.   We cant possibly not be making enough revenue from other sources to not be able to push the tax some with 3 mil in attendance per year again for what was it 15+ years.   Yet we dont seem to be planning to do so.

I'm not sure what else to call it, feel free to make a suggestion. 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

We should talk about needlepoint. 

in 1979 i dated a girl who was making a giant needlepoint of the angels logo for me. broke up with her before she finished it and have no idea what happened to it. 

maybe i shoulda stuck around a couple more months. oh well.

3 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Catcher is the last position I want to upgrade, offensively. The position lends itself to too much injury and too many off days. Just get me a good defensive catcher, who can throw out runners and call a good game. Then, spend the money elsewhere. I just haven't watched Briceno and Arcia enough to know if they qualify in that regard. How are they?

I loved Maldonado, but he will get interest from other teams. I actually expect HOU to re-sign him, if they go far in the playoffs. He's hitting much better over there, than he did with us. The same solid player behind the plate. Lots of Latino players in HOU. Hey, birds of a feather..............

My fervent wish is that SOMEHOW Fernandez becomes a viable option for platooning at first with Albert, so we dont have to spend at that position, either. I dont want another "versatile" player who can play first and third. Myers bat isnt enough. Based on how many lefty starters we faced this year, Albert would only start 50 games at first. Still too many, but that's probably 35 fewer than he would have started this year if he was healthy all year. Make Ohtani the full time DH next year. That reduces Albert to only those 50 games, instead of the 117 he played this year. Figure Ohtani will need the occasional day off, so Albert goes up to 60 games.

Then, go out and get a real, solid hitting 3rd baseman to slot behind Trout and Ohtani. Versatility solved. You have three guys who can play third (acquisition, Fletch, Cozart), three guys who can play SS (Cozart, Fletcher, Simba) and two who can play 2nd (Fletch and Cozart). The two at first mentioned above. I'm thinking Donaldson. Manny is too much money.

I dont know what to do about Calhoun. I think you hope for the best and spend elsewhere.

Or maybe see about working him out at first as the platoon alternative to Fernandez and take a flyer on McCutcheon. With McCutcheon, you have a high OBP guy who would be a good leadoff hitter. Always draws a lot of walks and can still steal bases, go first to third or score on Trout's singles and doubles. I dont think Cutch will get a horribly expensive contract. He certainly isnt what he used to be. But he gets on base and has power and decent speed. Cutch, Trout, Ohtani, Donaldson, Upton, 1st base platoon, Simmons, catcher, 2nd base.

Then go Tampa Bay with the pitching, I guess. I just worry about spending big bucks on pitching. So prone to injuries. That's all we need.

This is a legendary free agent class this winter. We should take advantage of it.

You go into a season with Briceno and Arcia as your catchers, you are accepting a season of below average results from the position. I just don't think it's a smart idea.

57 minutes ago, floplag said:

Yes, artificial, as in not based on available resources. We have room under the tax threshold we dont appear to be willing to use based on whats been floated around these forums.   

We make 150 M per year on the TV deal alone.  The luxury tax for next year will be 206 M i think or thereabouts.   We cant possibly not be making enough revenue from other sources to not be able to push the tax some with 3 mil in attendance per year again for what was it 15+ years.   Yet we dont seem to be planning to do so.

I'm not sure what else to call it, feel free to make a suggestion. 

I don’t think you’re hearing what I said about the luxury tax. 

36 minutes ago, Tank said:

in 1979 i dated a girl who was making a giant needlepoint of the angels logo for me. broke up with her before she finished it and have no idea what happened to it. 

maybe i shoulda stuck around a couple more months. oh well.

My son is dating a girl with a ball of yarn and knitting needles tattoo. She was in one of those gangs in college that knit one then purled two. 

18 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

It is pretty obvious that it is the Pujols contract that has them saying they only have 30 million to work with this off-season.  Without his contract, they'd have more money.  It is what it is at this point. 

It just tells me that fans should have moderate expectations this off-season.  Not that that is a bad thing.  I don't think the Angels need a "huge splash" to get this team in contention.