• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wil Myers

Jeff Fletcher

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Don't get carried away now Jeff.  That is four huge contracts.  I would only sign two of them.

Corbin and Machado.

Corbin, Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Shoe or Canning.

Calhoun

Trout

Ohtani

Machado

Upton

Pujols/Thaiss

Cozart

Simmons

Catcher

That's legitimate.  And worth the money.

Well, that’s not happening. Sorry. 

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well, that’s not happening. Sorry. 

It is impossible for the Angels to sign two free agents when they need a hitter and at least one starter?

I dont understand, at all, the resistance to the idea of going straight at problems and trying to win.

And please don't exaggerate and tell me you can't buy championships  (signing two players isn't building a whole team in free agency) or tell me the Angels are a poor team that cannot afford to sign two players (they are not), or tell me signing two free agents will somehow disrupt the youth movement  (because it doesn't).

Outside of those three knee jerk irrational and factually incorrect objections, I am legitimately asking why this seems so outrageous and impossible to you?

The plausible objection is "budget" which is controlling costs.  Except you must compare that to already spent money and likelihood of winning without the moves.

The Angels are not going to win in 2019 standing pat.  The stadium is empty Jeff.

A .500 season in 2019 standing pat is arguably more expensive than signing two free agents.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

He never said impossible. He said it wasn't happening. 

There's a difference.

And I am asking why he thinks that specifically outside of the normal excuses that don't hold water.  Pretty sure Jeff is capable of having a rational discussion and answering specific questions without you "protecting" him from being confused by the use of the question "Is it impossible?" in an obvious context that doesn't literally mean impossible.

17 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Outside of those three knee jerk irrational and factually incorrect objections, I am legitimately asking why this seems so outrageous and impossible to you?

seems as if you literally mean impossible.

oh, and I'm not protecting anyone. I merely pointed out your lack of reading comprehension 

11 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I get your sarcasm and your hyperbole, here.

But IF we assume that the Angels need to give Trout a reason to feel hopeful about the Angel's future, I just can't see them achieving this in the short time they might have left, by improving from within. Either directly (from the farm) or indirectly (trading farmhands or existing position players). We just aren't that deep in any area that I can see. 

Arte really needs to cut some big checks this off season IF this assumption is true. It's the only way forward, in the short term. 

So, we add Kimbrel and Machado.........and go Tampa Bay with the rotation? 

You say this as a joke, but i honestly think the whole "go Tampa with the rotation" thing is our only realistic plan. 

We have a depth of SP, none of which are ever going to win you a Cy Young but all of which are capable of putting up very solid outings on any given day.  The way our roster is constructed at this point, getting an ace would be nice, but it doesnt help the other 4 days. 

I myself would be much more of a fan to help every day instead of every 5th.  For me the lock down bullpen is a necessity with the construction of our rotation, were not going to replace them all or a significant number of them, they simply are what they are, not everyone gets to have a Kershaw on their roster.  Shorten the game, dont overpay for starters, invest in other areas. 

I know im in the minority on this one but ive never been a fan of overpaying guys that play every 5th game to the point you cant help the other 4.  Its something you go get when the other areas are solid

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Prove it

• 6 years/$83M (2017-22), plus 2023 club option
    • signed extension with San Diego 1/17/17 (avoided arbitration, $4M-$3.4M)
    • $15M signing bonus
    • 17:$2M, 18:$2M, 19:$3M, 20:$20M, 21:$20M, 22:$20M, 23:$20M club option ($1M buyout)

Cots baseball 

Lou fail math

When I was having a conversation with someone who knows, regarding the budget for next year, I threw out $40 million and was laughed at. That’s when I was told not to look at the CBT, but to look at the actual payroll in relation to past years. 

This year they spent something like $195M-ish on payroll. Right now they are 163ish for next year.

Machado is going to cost $30M+ a year and Corbin is probably going to be $14-18M. 

They also need a catcher and a fourth OF, at least. Probably an infielder too. 

Work with $30M and see what you can do. 

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

You say this as a joke, but i honestly think the whole "go Tampa with the rotation" thing is our only realistic plan. 

We have a depth of SP, none of which are ever going to win you a Cy Young but all of which are capable of putting up very solid outings on any given day.  The way our roster is constructed at this point, getting an ace would be nice, but it doesnt help the other 4 days. 

I myself would be much more of a fan to help every day instead of every 5th.  For me the lock down bullpen is a necessity with the construction of our rotation, were not going to replace them all or a significant number of them, they simply are what they are, not everyone gets to have a Kershaw on their roster.  Shorten the game, dont overpay for starters, invest in other areas. 

I know im in the minority on this one but ive never been a fan of overpaying guys that play every 5th game to the point you cant help the other 4.  Its something you go get when the other areas are solid

I really wasnt joking about going Tampa Bay a bit more. The Rays have proven that it can be effective. You can match up better with the opposing lineup and no starter faces a lineup a third time, where offense tends to go up. We seem to have strength and numbers in our bullpen, exclusive of a bonafide closer. I am not willing to hand that job over to Buttrey next season, as some are. Kimbrel certainly fits. We also have a number of mediocre, oft-injured starters that might benefit from pitching fewer innings in a bullpen game scenario. This Tampa Bay trend seems like what pitching is evolving towards. Fewer starter innings isn't a new thing. This simply embraces that completely, IF you have the arms to do it. 

I am also SOOOOO leery of tying up a big contract on an every-fifth-day player AND the seeming Angel curse of arm injuries. GMs avoiding this is another milestone in this evolutionary process.

And then there's the need to add a big bat. Suggesting Machado might have been the least serious part of my post. I am not sure who fits best, but we need another bat. Someone that puts Trout back at #2 in the order, where I feel he is most effective IF we follow him with Ohtani, BIG BAT, Upton.

And if we could add a high OBP guy in front of Trout, we can score enough runs to mitigate lapses in the pitching. Maybe that could be Simmons? Isnt a .295 average and a .340 OBP sufficient? He runs OK. I cant believe that one post that has him hitting 8th. That's where you put your WORST hitter. 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Don't get carried away now Jeff.  That is four huge contracts.  I would only sign two of them.

Corbin and Machado.

Corbin, Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Shoe or Canning.

Calhoun

Trout

Ohtani

Machado

Upton

Pujols/Thaiss

Cozart

Simmons

Catcher

That's legitimate.  And worth the money.

Simmons hitting 8th? Seriously????? That's where you put your slow-running, light-hitting catcher. Not our second or third best hitter who has some speed.

And I am less that thrilled with Thaiss's numbers at SLC, so far. He'll be down there another year. He's still young. Fernandez appears to be the platoon partner with Pujols.

16 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When I was having a conversation with someone who knows, regarding the budget for next year, I threw out $40 million and was laughed at. That’s when I was told not to look at the CBT, but to look at the actual payroll in relation to past years. 

This year they spent something like $195M-ish on payroll. Right now they are 163ish for next year.

Machado is going to cost $30M+ a year and Corbin is probably going to be $14-18M. 

They also need a catcher and a fourth OF, at least. Probably an infielder too. 

Work with $30M and see what you can do. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

It is impossible for the Angels to sign two free agents when they need a hitter and at least one starter?

I dont understand, at all, the resistance to the idea of going straight at problems and trying to win.

And please don't exaggerate and tell me you can't buy championships  (signing two players isn't building a whole team in free agency) or tell me the Angels are a poor team that cannot afford to sign two players (they are not), or tell me signing two free agents will somehow disrupt the youth movement  (because it doesn't).

The plausible objection is "budget" which is controlling costs.  Except you must compare that to already spent money and likelihood of winning without the moves.

The Angels are not going to win in 2019 standing pat.  The stadium is empty Jeff.

A .500 season in 2019 standing pat is arguably more expensive than signing two free agents.

Well one reason it will be damn near impossible is the fact that signing those two guys would be putting your payroll at over $160 million for 8 guys.  That means they will have less than $40 million for the remaining 17 guys.  

11 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Simmons hitting 8th? Seriously????? That's where you put your slow-running, light-hitting catcher. Not our second or third best hitter who has some speed.

And I am less that thrilled with Thaiss's numbers at SLC, so far. He'll be down there another year. He's still young. Fernandez appears to be the platoon partner with Pujols.

The point wasn't necessarily actual order it was to show the depth of talent.

57 minutes ago, floplag said:

This is a good post

1 hour ago, floplag said:

It may sound like a silly idea, but the fact that our starters can never stay healthy makes it a lot less silly and a lot more realistic.

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well one reason it will be damn near impossible is the fact that signing those two guys would be putting your payroll at over $160 million for 8 guys.  That means they will have less than $40 million for the remaining 17 guys.  

I understand but that is going to be how many teams salary is distributed.

In fact I think you may find in coming years $120m for three guys and $70m for the rest.

Baseball is getting a little more like basketball where the elite players are going to get a larger share of the salary pool.

I am not choosing this, I am observing it.