• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward: Angels calling up Taylor Ward

krAbs

17 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Those are just part of learning the position and will take time. Honestly the most important part is fielding it cleanly and making a good throw. Generally nerves will result in a booted ball because he's too focused on doing all the things right, (fielding it cleanly, looking the runner back and making a good throw). If he can be a fundamentally sound 3rd baseman and limit his mistakes while also hitting the ball the way he has this year, I would say the Angels found a decent prospect. They don't need anyone incredible at 3b, they need someone who isn't going to play like valbuena.

Thanks, guys. Do you think Valbuena was a bad third baseman defensively?

13 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Thanks, guys. Do you think Valbuena was a bad third baseman defensively?

I'm not sure about statistically as i'm not heavily interested in learning it, but from a visual perspective he was not very good. He would make a great diving stop and seem like a gold glover and then other times airmail a routine grounder. All in all I would say he was average-below average.

Both his hits were "smart hitting" staying behind the ball and going the other way.

I like to see that as PART of a hitter's overall approach.

Does anyone have enough experience watching him hit in the minors to tell us if this is his default, main approach?

Does he also jump on inside fastballs and drive them or is everything inside out?

Anyone?

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Both his hits were "smart hitting" staying behind the ball and going the other way.

I like to see that as PART of a hitter's overall approach.

Does anyone have enough experience watching him hit in the minors to tell us if this is his default, main approach?

Does he also jump on inside fastballs and drive them or is everything inside out?

Anyone?

He has pull power that started to develop this year when moved away from catcher but I’d say his bread and butter is being able to take a walk and spray the ball hard to all fields. I think he’ll hit a lot of doubles

4 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Don’t need to if you know what I mean.

LOL. Looking back i now see how my post would end up being quoted on just that part.

Yeah Ward could probably just wear shoes that are 3 inches taller.

I heard Tom Cruise who's only 5'7 wears 5 inch tall shoes to make himself seem 6'0 on set of his films.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:55 PM, GrittyVeterans said:

He has pull power that started to develop this year when moved away from catcher but I’d say his bread and butter is being able to take a walk and spray the ball hard to all fields. I think he’ll hit a lot of doubles

I know next to nothing about this guy, other than what i read on here. But caught his first AB the other night, when he sliced the double to right. Got me thinking the same thing.

I think its normal for most of us to be cautious with guys weve called up, because its been so bad for so long on the farm. But if i understand correctly, walking was never an issue in the minors at any level. And his swing looked like he can use the whole field.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I keep a box of magnum condoms next to the cellphone charger in my car whenever I pick a girl up for a date. Same principle.

Lol yeah. On the other end of the scale: actress Famke Janssen is a 6'0 tall woman who has to be on her knees in movies when working with short actors so that they look taller than her.

• 3 years later...