• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward: Angels calling up Taylor Ward

krAbs

MLB has him as our #8 prospect. Their writeup:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 40 | Arm: 65 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Ward, the surprise first-round pick of the 2015 Draft, partially wiped away a relatively disappointing first full season in 2016 by using his on-base and defensive skills to work his way to Double-A in 2017. He was sent home early from an Arizona Fall League assignment last fall with a shoulder impingement. Health, and a move to third base, has allowed Ward's bat to really take off in 2018.

Ward has always had excellent plate discipline with a very advanced approach at the plate, drawing a ton of walks and limiting his strikeouts. He's largely used a contact-first, line-drive approach to his hitting and rarely chases, but he's started to drive the ball, both for extra bases and over the fence, in 2018. Ward's strong arm, which allowed him to throw out just over 34 percent of potential basestealers from behind the plate, is an asset at the hot corner.

Ward should be ready to help out in the near future. His uptick in offensive production, combined with his on-base ability, has made him look more like a future everyday third baseman.

edit: note, if that power is real, his prospect grades suddenly look a lot better; a 50 hit, power, and field with a 65 arm isn't half bad.

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

With the promotion, as exciting as is it to get new blood up here, I hope he's allowed to start.  Between he, Cowart, JMF, and Fletcher, that's a lot of people vying for potential 3B starts.

Fletcher is starting pretty much every game at 2nd, can also play SS and 3rd. Cowart can play all 4 infield positions and JMF can play three.

All are versatile, and one of them may be sent down, though my odds on is that Marte is DFA'd.

Just now, mulwin444 said:

With the promotion, as exciting as is it to get new blood up here, I hope he's allowed to start.  Between he, Cowart, JMF, and Fletcher, that's a lot of people vying for potential 3B starts.

I think you have to start Ward at 3B and Fletcher at 2B.

I thinl Cowart's time with the Angels is probably over.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

I think you have to start Ward at 3B and Fletcher at 2B.

I thinl Cowart's time with the Angels is probably over.

Yeah, you'd think so...we'll see.  Ward's only position is 3B so it would make sense that Fletcher would play either 2B or SS (if Simba is still a scratch).

13 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Nice. First thing to be excited about in awhile. No idea how he'll turn out, but at least there is some fun in seeing a possible new guy who can make a difference.

If he sucks, not like were missing valbuena or cowart's thundersticks.

It would be nice for Ward to do well.  This season could use some positives.