• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2018 MLB Waiver Trade Deadline Thread

jordan

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean, with Ohtani it doesn't really make sense. One of these days, Shohei is going to hit lefties and there won't be a need to platoon him. 

Not to mention we have Thaiss who is much younger and could very well be just as good a hitter, with better defense.

there is a real possibility Ohtani will have TJ and be gone until 2020...

Although I would really like our young prospects to begin filling out the roster. Give Ward and Thaiss a chance, why else draft them?

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

26 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

there is a real possibility Ohtani will have TJ and be gone until 2020...

Although I would really like our young prospects to begin filling out the roster. Give Ward and Thaiss a chance, why else draft them?

The theory is if he has Tommy John Surgery this off season he will be able to hit next season.

16 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Bryce Harper for Adell, Canning, Suarez, Adams

Realmuto for Jones, Marsh, Maitan, Rodriguez

Just do it Eppler.

And the angels would be back to having one of the worst farm systems of all time. And then imagine how shitty that would be if Harper left in the off season.  No need to gut the farm. I am all for sending prospects for one impact player like Arenado (who has hinted he would like to come to the west coast). But for someone like Harper who will assuredly test the market and likely sign with who ever offers him a brinks truck full of cash, that would be foolish. Especially since Eppler has waved the white flag and signaled this season is over. If we are to get Harper it would make sense to go after him in free agency where it would not gut our farm. 

10 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Link???

No link just saying that it is very possible that the stem cell injection won't work. Which is why they want him to start throwing now to see if his elbow will hold together. If not there is still time for him to have the surgery and be ready to go by ST 2020. I have seen this written in more places than one and I even think Fletcher reported something similar awhile back. If you'd like to search for it knock yourself out. But thinking Ohtani is going to be 100% next year is very optimistic considering his and this teams history.

6 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

And the angels would be back to having one of the worst farm systems of all time. And then imagine how shitty that would be if Harper left in the off season.  No need to gut the farm. I am all for sending prospects for one impact player like Arenado (who has hinted he would like to come to the west coast). But for someone like Harper who will assuredly test the market and likely sign with who ever offers him a brinks truck full of cash, that would be foolish. Especially since Eppler has waved the white flag and signaled this season is over. If we are to get Harper it would make sense to go after him in free agency where it would not gut our farm. 

These are two players you go after no matter what your win loss record may be. They don't become available often.

Just now, Tyler said:

These are two players you go after no matter what your win loss record may be. They don't become available often.

No, if you are the Angels you don't go after Bryce Harper this season.  It makes zero sense.  Now if you can get him for basically nothing, which won't happen, then sure, but not at the cost of anyone in the top 15.  

Just now, Stradling said:

The theory is if he has Tommy John Surgery this off season he will be able to hit next season.

Maybe, maybe not the recovery time for a position player is typically 9-12 months. It depends on when he actually has the surgery. Corey Seager will miss the entire 2018 season and sure he plays 3rd. It may take less time for a DH but I wouldn't bet on it.

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/5/1/17307180/corey-seager-elbow-surgery-dodgers-screwed

Surgery should always be the last option, and it seems like that’s what the Dodgers were doing here. Instead of opting for surgery, the hope was for Seager’s elbow to heal without an invasive procedure. Perhaps they thought the procedure was more than just cleaning up bone chips/spurs, which is what it ultimately ended up. There’s no telling if he had the first surgery that he wouldn’t ultimately have needed Tommy John. And if they had opted for Tommy John, the recovery time for a position player is typically 9-12 months.

Just now, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Maybe, maybe not the recovery time for a position player is typically 9-12 months. It depends on when he actually has the surgery. Corey Seager will miss the entire 2018 season and sure he plays 3rd. It may take less time for a DH but I wouldn't bet on it.

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/5/1/17307180/corey-seager-elbow-surgery-dodgers-screwed

Surgery should always be the last option, and it seems like that’s what the Dodgers were doing here. Instead of opting for surgery, the hope was for Seager’s elbow to heal without an invasive procedure. Perhaps they thought the procedure was more than just cleaning up bone chips/spurs, which is what it ultimately ended up. There’s no telling if he had the first surgery that he wouldn’t ultimately have needed Tommy John. And if they had opted for Tommy John, the recovery time for a position player is typically 9-12 months.

It was 6-9 months for a hitter.  He isn't going to be playing the field and swinging a bat isn't the same as throwing a ball.  He doesn't have to start the season on the active roster.  

Personally, I'm not crazy about moving Parker just to move him. He's a controllable reliever and one who has been pretty consistent the past 2 years. I think he can again be counted on to have another good year next year, so why trade him unless we get a really good package? This team is still trying to compete next year and Parker can be a big part of the hopefully upgraded bullpen.

7 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Personally, I'm not crazy about moving Parker just to move him. He's a controllable reliever and one who has been pretty consistent the past 2 years. I think he can again be counted on to have another good year next year, so why trade him unless we get a really good package? This team is still trying to compete next year and Parker can be a big part of the hopefully upgraded bullpen.

Well, he’s old and relievers are volatile...get what you can when you can.

i like him too though. He’s been a bright spot