• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2018 MLB Waiver Trade Deadline Thread

jordan

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah looking further, they’ve all definitely lost prospect luster, but still. That’s three fairly significant fairly advanced lotto tickets.

It really hammers home how deep the Braves’ farm is. Duvall is a real interesting buy-low, but still, if one of those guys pans out and another just becomes an average MLB player it tips in the Reds’ favor. 

but that's the thing.  there are no lotto tickets in that bunch.  Wisler and Tucker were overrated to begin with.  both high floor low ceiling guys.  Absolute best case scenario is an avg OFer, decent reliever, and #3 starter.  Likely is a #3/4 starter, 4th OFer and low leverage reliever.  

If that was our return for Kole, I'd be intrigued though.  

I bet the Angels move a reliever today still. Last night’s trade was a good precursor with the addition of two optionable relievers, and the relief market is so hot. Not expecting any sort of long-term buy though - think he will play the youth this fall and then re-assess needs in the offseason when prices are a little lower and teams a little more willing to gamble.

I’m gonna guess Alvarez is dealt, perhaps Parker. Bedrosian less likely but still a chance, particularly Atlanta.

18 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

Please someone, take Bedrosian.

Atlanta easily has the need and the prospects to pry him away, and he'd be coming home. Adding another SP prospect would be huge - we're still really thin. Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, and a big step down to Gatto, Pena, Rodriguez, Beasley.

1 minute ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Does Marte have any trade value, or is he on par with Valbuena?

Valbuena has no trade value, so he will either be DFA'd, or stay on the roster on Scoiscia's recommendation.

Scoiscia does seem to like him.

Can't see Marte holding any trade value. He's likely non-tendered/DFA'ed end of year. Valbuena I think stays - they'll hope he gets hot enough a club plucks him off waivers or by the August deadline saving the Angels some cash.

The Pirates are seeking to build a strong, controllable bullpen - could see an interest in one of our arms perhaps for Elias Diaz?

Tony Wolters from the Rox could be a target for a reliever too. They'll be looking for cheap relief after overspending and watching it fall sort of flat. Wolters is only 26, hits left-handed, has a decent 34% CS% - doesn't hit much, but decent walk rate. From California and controlled through '22.

11 minutes ago, wpghalo said:

So are we in on Jose Martinez for cards? On TSN here in Canada said, Angels are one of teams that would fit him!  are they out to lunch ?

I mentioned Jose a little earlier on - I'd love to see him in replacing Marte. Defense is awful but the bat is legit. .997 OPS against lefties too.
Wonder if STL would have interest in someone like Hermosillo. He seems like the type of player STL would like, went to school in Illinois.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I mentioned Jose a little earlier on - I'd love to see him in replacing Marte. Defense is awful but the bat is legit. .997 OPS against lefties too.
Wonder if STL would have interest in someone like Hermosillo.

so is being reported tho... or is TSN Canada just speculating?

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I have no idea why we would want him. We have enough 1B/DH types. Plus he's 30. 

To get rid of 1B/DH types and have one that actually hits. He'd have to come cheap, because he would be more of a platoon/bench bat.

OPS+
Upton '18: 123
Jose Martinez '18: 122, career: 129
Simmons '18: 117
Pujols '18: 96
Marte '18: 75
Valbuena '18: 63
Young '18: 68

Could ditch Marte, Valbuena, and Young and replace those ABs with Martinez, Fletcher, Ward, Hermosillo.

I mean, with Ohtani it doesn't really make sense. One of these days, Shohei is going to hit lefties and there won't be a need to platoon him. 

Not to mention we have Thaiss who is much younger and could very well be just as good a hitter, with better defense.