• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole in the last 28 days - .280/.333/.680/1.013

11 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Blash hit one ball 116mph.

Blash struck out four times in nine at bats.

Blash has struck out 104 times in 289 plate appearances in his major league career.

And you wonder why he isn't playing RF for the Angels? 

Mind bottling.

Why are you bringing up his strikeouts while neglecting to mention that he also takes  walks and hits lots of HRs? That's the kind of player he is. He deserves a chance to play.

As for Calhoun, this is no slump. Nobody can slump to a .385 OPS almost two months into a season (with much worse numbers than that lately).

Just now, ScottT said:

Giancarlo Stanton hit .118/.211/.206 over 30 days. In 2016.  I'd say he's bounced back.

Hall of Famers have had bad seasons. Seasons where many thought they were done. They weren't. I can't imagine how some of you get through a baseball season

Calhoun has been trending down since last season. This is a continuation and it's getting worse and worse.

Where is Blash trending? Towards AAAA?  Japan?  He's gotta produce when he gets the chance. He hasn't. 

Calhoun hit .158/.246/.287 last May.

Calhoun hit .324/.388/.505 last June.

Calhoun hit .169/.256/.312 last July.

Calhoun hit .300/.396/.489 last August.

Calhoun had a normal September.

But he's trending down? Did you say that last May? Last July?

3 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Where is Blash trending? Towards AAAA?  Japan?  He's gotta produce when he gets the chance. He hasn't. 

Calhoun hit .158/.246/.287 last May.

Calhoun hit .324/.388/.505 last June.

Calhoun hit .169/.256/.312 last July.

Calhoun hit .300/.396/.489 last August.

Calhoun had a normal September.

But he's trending down? Did you say that last May? Last July?

I wasn't aware that 9 ABs = getting a chance. 

And lol, I look at the overall numbers. I don't cherrypick like you. He was below average offensively last year. 

The mental side is unraveling more each day.  He’s gone from mumbling to himself to straight up tirades on the way back to the dugout.  They new do to something fast or he’s gonna completely lose it and never have a chance of coming back.  I seriously can’t see why he wouldn’t be begging to take a break.  Season is relatively new and this stretch is brutal.  Volunteer to go down and get a slumpbuster in the minors.  Take a breath, clear your head, go down with no stress and have a bit of fun again.  I don’t want to give up on him as we saw tonight his defense is great, but he’s got to get serviceable at the plate.  Can’t imagine the defense sticking around much longer as he keeps falling down this dark hole at the plate

F97FB1D0-528C-4272-8163-6D120EA877CC.jpeg

7 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Blash has now been compared to Manny Ramirez, Giancarlo Stanton, and Nelson Cruz today

lmfao

K, how about this one: 

Blash in MLB: 289 plate appearances, .201/.322/.332/.654, 8 doubles, 8 homers, 40 walks, 104 strikeouts, OPS+ of 78, -0.3 WAR
Marte in MLB*: 235 plate appearances, .193/.277/.360/.637, 9 doubles, 8 homers, 21 walks, 56 strikeouts, OPS+ of 73, -0.8 WAR.

So - there was some cherry-pickin' here. Marte's stats are just his '15 and '17 campaigns. But I think it's fair to say that both are pretty comparable in terms of who they were as prospects - once had some shine, it wore off, and they settled as likely AAAA types. Obviously, Marte's K% is way better - but Blash also drew twice as many walks. Marte's a shade younger.

The point is less about any correlation in their production, but more about how quick people were to write someone like Marte off after his poor year - they pointed to his solid '16 season as being a fluke, using his crappy '17 season as a verification that he was closer to his '15 line. Yet here we are in '18, and he's slashing .327/.397/.558/.954 through 58 plate appearances - certainly a small sample size, but he's showing excellent power, contact, and discipline. He also hasn't had an OPS north of .828 in the minors since his age 17 season in Rookie Ball when it was .930, yet he went and nearly topped that in his '16 season when he put up a .790 mark in the bigs - pretty much his exact AAA OPS of .795 in 3 seasons.

Blash's AAA line doesn't guarantee he'll have success in the majors, but his MLB line also doesn't prove he'll fail in the bigs, just as Marte's significantly 'punier' AAA line didn't prevent him from hitting well in the bigs, despite 2 of his 3 seasons being worse than Blash's MLB experiences. Writing Jabari off right now is silly - there's no reason to think he'll become Nelson Cruz, but Cruz is proof that sometimes a player can develop later on in their career. Look at Zack Cozart, who had a .674 OPS and 82 OPS+ through his first 6 seasons up until his strong age 31 campaign. Mike Moustakas had a SLG of .379 and OPS of .668 before breaking out at 26. Yes, he's younger than Blash, but Cozart was older. What's to say Blash can't have turned a corner at 28? 

Blash has only ever played in the PCL:
with SEA/SDG, in 235 games, he slashed .255/.375/.563/.939
with the Angels in 26 games, he's slashed .348/.434/.826/1.260

Small sample size, but he's outperforming even his already lofty career PCL numbers by a good amount. He might have figured something out.

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

He hasn't started several games this year.

Storm on this team, with our limited bench, I don’t think there’s a chance Kole is our 4th outfielder/defensive replacement.   Of course he’s not started several games.   Damn near every fourth outfielder in baseball is a natural CF.  This team values defense.  So I personally don’t see a place for Kole on the team as a fourth outfielder.   He needs to go to the minors or the team needs to be ok with his offense and assume it will start to click.  

8 hours ago, ScottT said:

You can't be serious.

Jabari Blash has a -0.2 WAR in 102 games.  Negative.  He apparently is terrible defensively. He's been bad offensively.  He is killing it in Salt Lake, but who isn't/doesn't?  He has a .332 SLG in MLB!!!!!!!!!

There was a guy who had an even worse WAR and SLG% than Blash after 5 seaons in MLB. Then in 2010 he hit 54 homers. His name was Jose Bautista.

I'm sure the jays are glad they gave him a chance instead of writing him off as quickly as you do.

36 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

There was a guy who had an even worse WAR and SLG% than Blash after 5 seaons in MLB. Then in 2010 he hit 54 homers. His name was Jose Bautista.

I'm sure the jays are glad they gave him a chance instead of writing him off as quickly as you do.

So Blash is now compared to Manny Ramirez, Nelson Cruz, Stanton, and now Bautitsta.