• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This Bullpen is on Eppler

It's frustrating.  Starters are beginning to put together successive quality starts only to have the bullpen lose the games. However,  not too long ago it was the bullpen doing the quality work trying to save a shitty start.

I think this is the result of overwork.

I think our bullpen is not as bad as it has been the past few weeks, but we definitely need 2 or 3 changes in there, we are also not as good as we'd like to think sometimes. Blake Wood will help when he returns, and maybe so can Bridwell, but I believe there are some arms in selling teams that will for sure help (Baltimore, CWS, Mets, SD).

We don't have to give up a very priced prospect IMO, rentals for the bullpen are not as bad as in other positions. 

Bottom line, the bullpen has to follow the inertia created by the starters these past few weeks! We could be on top by a 3 game difference if not for them!

i cant buy into the overwork thing, i just cant.   If this was Sep ok, but in May?  nah, no way 

Yes, they have to date pitched a lot of innings, 167 so far per ESPN which ranks second most in the league, and about 20 more than most playoff caliber teams. most of which are down in the 140s.  But, the BAA is bottom third, the ERA is not top 10, and the walk rate is too high. 

Strangely enough the runs allowed isnt too terrible, near bottom third to the good, which tells me they arent getting blown out but are giving up just enough to lose a lot of close games. 

39 minutes ago, floplag said:

i cant buy into the overwork thing, i just cant.   If this was Sep ok, but in May?  nah, no way 

Yes, they have to date pitched a lot of innings, 167 so far per ESPN which ranks second most in the league, and about 20 more than most playoff caliber teams. most of which are down in the 140s.  But, the BAA is bottom third, the ERA is not top 10, and the walk rate is too high. 

Strangely enough the runs allowed isnt too terrible, near bottom third to the good, which tells me they arent getting blown out but are giving up just enough to lose a lot of close games. 

Are those teams using the same number of relievers as the Angels? I actually do not know. 

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Are those teams using the same number of relievers as the Angels? I actually do not know. 

I didnt go that deep on it but does that matter really?  ours have rotated too.  overwork on the pen would be cumulative.  Noone should be over worked in May regardless. 

One reason ive been mellow the last few offseasons about us not going crazy was understanding we had a ton of holes, and i can understand not blowing your wad on some big bat when you need 3, some big pitcher when the rest are hurt, etc etc.

But ive always felt that even a team in a bad position should awuire bullpen guys when available over the winter. At worst, there is ALWAYS a market at the deadline for relievers. If anything, we should have been grabbing guys just to flip later for things of need. Obviously draft picks and things like that play a role, but we shouldnt have basically ignored it as we seem to have done recently.

Again, the problem currently was getting lucky as hell last year and expecting a repeat.

AO, you know exactly why he pitches him so often.  Everyone pitches this often and he is the only right handed veteran this team has.  This pen was put together poorly.  None of the pitchers have options.  Of an extra $10 million we could have had a couple of solid arms.  That being said a lot of guys we all wanted have sucked too.  So how do you guess which one won’t suck?  

Just now, SuperTroopers said:

AO, you know exactly why he pitches him so often.  Everyone pitches this often and he is the only right handed veteran this team has.  This pen was put together poorly.  None of the pitchers have options.  Of an extra $10 million we could have had a couple of solid arms.  That being said a lot of guys we all wanted have sucked too.  So how do you guess which one won’t suck?  

Addison Reed and Brandon morrow have done just fine. 

Holland had red flags.

I think there is serious blame to put on Eppler on this one, and I am one of his biggest fans

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Addison Reed and Brandon morrow have done just fine. 

Holland had red flags.

I think there is serious blame to put on Eppler on this one, and I am one of his biggest fans

I agree, but seriously, how do you guess which ones will do well?  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Does Scioscia WANT to get fired?

AO, this nonsense only works if he is using bad pitchers when he has good ones.  Remember the other night when he went with his best reliever and it ended with Altuve clearing the bases?  And even suggesting he wants to get fired is pretty damn stupid.  

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

AO, this nonsense only works if he is using bad pitchers when he has good ones.  Remember the other night when he went with his best reliever and it ended with Altuve clearing the bases?  And even suggesting he wants to get fired is pretty damn stupid.  

It was meant in jest.

I’m pissed because this is shaping up to be yet another non-post-season year, the EIGHTH in the past 9 years.

This decade is going to end up like the 1970s.

3 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I agree, but seriously, how do you guess which ones will do well?  

Well, I would have signed Addison Reed. I said it at the time. He's only 29 and was dominant the previous 2 years. Him getting a 2 year deal was highway robbery for the Twins. Holland is 32 and was just okay last year and missed the entire season before that. Also I'm pretty sure only Holland had draft pick compensation attached to him but I could be wrong

There is no full proof method to choosing the right player, because it's sports, but it sure felt like he missed a pretty good bet on that one

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Well, I would have signed Addison Reed. I said it at the time. He's only 29 and was dominant the previous 2 years. Holland is 32 and was just okay last year and missed the entire season before that. Also I'm pretty sure only Holland had draft pick compensation attached to him but I could be wrong

There is no full proof method to choosing the right player, because it's sports, but it sure felt like he missed a pretty good bet on that one

But as has been mentioned Reed wanted to be in the Midwest so you wouldn’t have been able to sign him.  

On 5/15/2018 at 10:46 PM, nando714 said:

Or if you as a GM is hard up about 100 pitches max per game you want to stock your bullpen with better arms during the off season . Knowing that they will have to pitch 3-4 innings per game 

Skaggs out at 95 pitches and I’ll keep wondering 

Just now, nando714 said:

Skaggs out at 95 pitches and I’ll keep wondering 

You watched that 6th inning right?  He gave up a home run, two other base runners and a fly ball to the warning track.  He was laboring all inning. He was done, the pen just sucks.