• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This Bullpen is on Eppler

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

And we'll win more games that the other teams' bullpen blow against us.

Works both ways.

why does that matter?  That just means we have a good offense or other teams have a bad bullpen.  

Not having more talent in the pen is a missed opportunity.  Of course, that lack of talent is my opinion.  It all boils down to results.  I felt like the pen lacked talent last year and they were great so I gave the benefit of the doubt.  This year the results aren't there.  

MS clearly isn't confident with his options going to a rookie for a 6 out save.  And I don't exactly blame him for not having a ton of faith even though he didn't handle it well.  

Don't know what they can do at this point.  Just bummed they are in this position.  

20 minutes ago, laagamer said:

Hate to say it, but Craig Kimbrels don't grow on trees.

He has 2 blown saves and is making $13 million this year. They also gave up 4 prospects, 2 of which were rated in the Top 100 in mlb.

Jansen has 2, also, and is in the 2nd year of a 5-yr $80M contract. He'll be making $20M in 2021.

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Do you really think our pen is on the same level as any of the team you mentioned?  or that the load will be comparable?   I dont.

No, but the results thus far have proven that their bullpens haven't been much better.

Edited by Lou

I like the Angels bullpen.  We have good arms down there.  It would be nice to get a more sure thing in the late innings.  We probably have an opportunity to fill that gap.  Hopefully the Angels are able to do so.  A guy like Herrera or Hand would make an OK bullpen very good or great IMO.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, Lou said:

No, but the results thus far haven't proven that their bullpens haven't been much better.

Exactly right, Lou. The Angels are better off investing in starting pitching and batters who can get bigger leads so even a bad pen can't blow it. 

Everyone here assumes the alternative to our pen is a perfect bullpen that never blows a lead. Bullpens are going to blow leads. Ours has been perfectly serviceable so far compared to the teams we are competing against.

50 minutes ago, Lou said:

No, but the results thus far have proven that their bullpens haven't been much better.

OK, so lets say ours has been one game worse so far, just one.  
At the end of the season thats 4-5 games in total.  Last season that puts us in the post, i suspect it will be a similar story this year. 
so if we fall within 5 games of the playoffs again, youll be ok with that? 

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

At the end of the season thats 4-5 games in total.  Last season that puts us in the post, i suspect it will be a similar story this year. 

ok Flop, how bout we use what has happened so far this season.  I just checked out the box scores of every game for the season for both teams.  The Astros have lost 8 games where they were tied or had the lead in the 8th inning or later the Angels have done it a total of 5 times.  

1 hour ago, Lou said:

He has 2 blown saves and is making $13 million this year. They also gave up 4 prospects, 2 of which were rated in the Top 100 in mlb.

Jansen has 2, also, and is in the 2nd year of a 5-yr $80M contract. He'll be making $20M in 2021.

You sound like a friend of mine that's a Dodger's fan that absolutely hates Jansen lol 

My opinion on Jansen is that he's only 14 bad innings into the year, and he's coming off like 6 years of tremendous production. I think Dodgers fans need to chillax a bit and let him find his way back.

And Kimbrel? Dude has a .79 WHIP and 10 saves, even if he blew two already. You wouldn't pay $13mil (if we really had it of course) for Kimbrel? 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

ok Flop, how bout we use what has happened so far this season.  I just checked out the box scores of every game for the season for both teams.  The Astros have lost 8 games where they were tied or had the lead in the 8th inning or later the Angels have done it a total of 5 times.  

I'd be ok winning the division by 3 games. 

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so the save is a questionable stat.  I get why people consider that.  But you have to close out the game.  The halos have 8 blown saves in 17 chances.  For those keeping track, that's not good.  

To be fair, weren't like 4 of those blown saves in that one game against the Mariners?

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Huh?  If the Angels don't blow those saves, they win those games no?  Wouldn't that put them 7-8 games in first?

I look at it like I look at Algebra, what you do to one side you have to do to the other side.  

We have lost 5 games when tied or winning going into the 8th inning.  The Astros have lost 8 games when tied or winning going into the 8 th inning.  So if you said we would win all of those games, then they would win all of those games and we would be behind by 3 games.  

6 hours ago, nando714 said:

Eppler failed miserably with regards to the bullpen. Last season was a fluke and they showed it towards the end of 2017. He added a “has been” in JJ and that’s about it

Agreed. All winter long i read people on here saying "i trust eppler in regards to the pen", and i cringed. Not that i dont trust him...but last year we simply got lucky. It wasnt by design really.

Going into a new year with the same group of guys who pitched over their heads out of nowhere was a gamble. Especially with a pitching staff who would all need to be babied/eased back in.

1 minute ago, JustATroutFan said:

At least Petit is not doing good right now with the Athletics. His ERA is over 4.00, I think. Makes Eppler looks smart so far. Tough to predict how the bullpen guys will do the next year after having their first good year the year before.

For every Petit there is a Bud Norris.

5 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

You would need to do that from the 5th or 6th on since we both know our bullpen has been coming in earlier than most.  
An anchor at the back moves everyone up.
But if you think this pen is good enough there really is much left to say.