• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This Bullpen is on Eppler

7 hours ago, rafibomb said:

The problem is I don't see any quick fixes to this problem right now. A dominant reliever will cost a premium this early into the season. We would need the problem to be fixed in-house which is so risky because games like today and against the Twins will start adding up. What do you guys think we should do?

The farm is getting deep again.

Eppler can’t be like Stoneman and keep them ALL, although he can’t be like trade them ALL Dipoto either.

Why aren’t there very many solid relievers being developed?   That seems to be the one weakness on the farm currently.  Well that and LHHs

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

At least bring in Herrera NOW.

Maybe adding a TRUE closer could have a domino effect on the rest of the pen?

Parker 8th inning, Anderson 7th inning, and the rest used as needed.

So you want Herrera now, at a higher cost rather than get him at the deadline for a reasonable cost.  Would you give up Ward for a rental? Thias?  Jones?  Suarez?  Would you trade Maitan?  These are the names they will want now.  In July those names are guys we have probably never heard of.

26 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

So you want Herrera now, at a higher cost rather than get him at the deadline for a reasonable cost.  Would you give up Ward for a rental? Thias?  Jones?  Suarez?  Would you trade Maitan?  These are the names they will want now.  In July those names are guys we have probably never heard of.

This is the problem.

Yes, trading for him or any other help right now will be expensive (but to be fair, at the deadline, all relievers will be).

But on the other hand, this pen may ruin us before the deadline, too...

6 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

This is what I do not understand

you could have signed a couple of reasonable bullpen arms in the offseason for a slight over pay. Now as we’re rebuilding the farm were gonna have to ship away a couple of pieces to improve it. Head scratcher 

On 5/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, TroutField said:

What are you guys willing to part with prospect wise for bullpen help? If it’s Hermosillo and Jahmai Jones for a rental closer like Herrera is it worth it?

Unless Eppler can get some talent back without shedding top 10 prospects, I’m not so sure how we can get better right now. 

I see what you're saying TF, but Eppler has to be practical about this. We're giving away too many games. We may have to give some one up of note to get to where we want to be. 

On 5/12/2018 at 11:11 AM, Scotty@AW said:

It sucks to lose a game you should have won.

But that bullpen management or mismanagement falls on Scioscia. He falls in love with one option and sticks with it. Justin Anderson is not a 6 out closer.

And as for the bullpen depth, the Angels haven't exhausted every option yet.

Blake Parker is pitching well again. Noe Ramirez has been a rock. Jose Alvarez has shouldered a tremendous burden. But this team really hasn't given Paredes or Morris a chance at pitching consistently in one role in Anaheim. They've also kept John Lamb and Felix Pena starting in AAA.

Again, it sucks to lose those games. But let's not lose our confidence in Eppler's ability to unearth pitchers from nothingness, or the likelihood of this team trading for a reliever and starter at the deadline.

This is not Scioscia's fault.

I didn't read through the whole thread, so apologies if it's been expressed already....

I think the pen will be a work in progress, and as bad as it's been this month, it was still awfully effective for awhile, notably when our rotation was struggling. 

Now that the rotation seems to have finally turned a corner and is getting into games deeper on a regular basis, I'm hoping some of the pens current struggles are just associated with a bit of fatigue and overuse to open the year and it'll level out in coming weeks. 

Eppler is also going for it - he'll address the pen either internally through Pena, Jewell, Krol, Paredes, etc. if he feels they're the best route, or through minor acquisitions like he did when he snagged J.C. Ramirez in '16 or David Hernandez in '17, or he may even opt to go big - either way, he's been pretty efficient at finding arms and acquiring the right guys, so I have faith he'll make the right moves in due time.

We're still on pace for just shy of 100 wins.

8 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

You bring in a reliever to face Altuve...that's on Scioscia.  Yes, pen talent is lacking butyou still make a move there.  Alvarez was lost and needed to be pulled 

Who do you bring in? Right now, these guys are spent and a mess. We need competent, fresh meat made even more necessary with Middleton's injury. I think we may have to bite the bullet on a top prospect. Can we really wait until June? 

7 hours ago, rafibomb said:

The problem is I don't see any quick fixes to this problem right now. A dominant reliever will cost a premium this early into the season. We would need the problem to be fixed in-house which is so risky because games like today and against the Twins will start adding up. What do you guys think we should do?

Get someone now. That's what prospects are for. I don't think it's going to get better for the bullpen.

3 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Who do you bring in? Right now, these guys are spent and a mess. We need competent, fresh meat made even more necessary with Middleton's injury. I think we may have to bite the bullet on a top prospect. Can we really wait until June? 

That’s the thing about last night.

Parker pitched one inning and one pitch over the past 9 days.

If Scioscia tried a 6 out save with Anderson, why NOT a 5 out save with Parker and his 1.80 ERA the past 15 innings?   Altuve kills LHHs.

7 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Bingo, though I guess the next question would be why not use him for the potential 5 out save and bring him in for Alvarez there. That was obviously the biggest moment of the game so why save him for the 9th for a lead you may not even have at that point?

I disagree with you guys. Right now, Scioscia is playing Russian roulette with the bullpen in which any of them can shoot you in the foot. Parker, Alvarez, Johnson, Bedrosian - does it matter? We need help so all the others can get stabilized. 

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

At least bring in Herrera NOW.

Maybe adding a TRUE closer could have a domino effect on the rest of the pen?

Parker 8th inning, Anderson 7th inning, and the rest used as needed.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. He or someone like him can improve the bullpen from top to bottom.

8 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

The answer is yes. We'll lose a lot more games like last night if we wait until July. Another thing is we don't want to get caught up in a bidding war. If we're the first to ask, we have a better shot.