• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This Bullpen is on Eppler

It has been mentioned before that bullpen arms are fungible...

...We know better now. Eppler should have ponied up the $$$ to get some experienced high-leverage arms. With our oft-injured rotation whose members are being nursed along, the need should have been very goddamn obvious. This bullpen is on Eppler.

The bullpen's been bottom 3-5 in the majors since the first two weeks. During the 13-3 stretch they looked great because they were pitching with a lot of 5+ run leads in low-leverage situations, and since Middleton got hurt against the Yankees it's been a train wreck. 

I'd stay away from Herrera right now and look at under-the-radar 7th/8th inning guys instead. Herrera (and any other current closer) will cost a fortune (probably a top 5 guy in our system) and he won't make a difference anyway. We need 3-4 guys.

6 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

The bullpen's been bottom 3-5 in the majors since the first two weeks. During the 13-3 stretch they looked great because they were pitching with a lot of 5+ run leads in low-leverage situations, and since Middleton got hurt against the Yankees it's been a train wreck. 

I'd stay away from Herrera right now and look at under-the-radar 7th/8th inning guys instead. Herrera (and any other current closer) will cost a fortune (probably a top 5 guy in our system) and he won't make a difference anyway. We need 3-4 guys.

The closer that will cost a fortune is Hand.  Herrera won’t cost too much these days.  These days prospects are the most valuable currency there is.  Think of the cost for Upton, that is about what Herrera will cost maybe even less.  

2 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

The closer that will cost a fortune is Hand.  Herrera won’t cost too much these days.  These days prospects are the most valuable currency there is.  Think of the cost for Upton, that is about what Herrera will cost maybe even less.  

I hope you're right, we're not exactly negotiating from a position of power though. 

Just now, AngelsFaninGA said:

I hope you're right, we're not exactly negotiating from a position of power though. 

Completely agree.  That is why they should be patient, and wait till July to make the move.  It might cost us a few games, but then again if the offense doesn’t start to get their shit together then there is no reason to fix the pen.

8 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Addison Reed and Brandon morrow have done just fine. 

Holland had red flags.

I think there is serious blame to put on Eppler on this one, and I am one of his biggest fans

I don't blame Eppler. The bullpen was fine when we had Middleton and the others fell in line. This bullpen by committee without him is not going to work. There's no one good enough. Eppler's job is to get help now before this turns into an avalanche. 

8 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

Completely agree.  That is why they should be patient, and wait till July to make the move.  It might cost us a few games, but then again if the offense doesn’t start to get their shit together then there is no reason to fix the pen.

Yes, the offense is pretty bad right now, but look at the pitchers we 've faced the last week. They'll come around probably starting today. The focus needs to be on the bullpen. We shouldn't wait until July.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

That is only for this season.   Can’t be that hard to jettison $3+ million, or limit his innings.

i hope you learned a lesson, Epp, about being too cheap with the bullpen.

Here’s my top 16 reasons Johnson pitches a lot despite the fact he isn’t good

Cam kinda sucks

Parker has sucked

Alvarez was great now sucks

Parades sucks

Pena probably sucks

Akeel Morris sucks

Blake Wood is hurt

Middleton is hurt 

Noe pitches a lot too

Richards pitches 6 games last year

Ohtani pitched 6 games last year

Heaney coming back from TJ surgery

Trop is coming back from TJ surgery

Skaggs is two years removed from TJ surgery

Shoe is hurt

Barria is 21 years old

8 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

You watched that 6th inning right?  He gave up a home run, two other base runners and a fly ball to the warning track.  He was laboring all inning. He was done, the pen just sucks.  

They want to ignore that fact.  Skaggs has gone over 100 a couple of times this year.

Had Skaggs stayed in and gave up the lead they would be saying how stupid Scioscia was for keeping him in.

Just now, stormngt said:

They want to ignore that fact.  Skaggs has gone over 100 a couple of times this year.

Had Skaggs stayed in and gave up the lead they would be saying how stupid Scioscia was for keeping him in.

Well he gave up the lead in the 6th, got hit pretty hard that inning as well. 

24 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't blame Eppler. The bullpen was fine when we had Middleton and the others fell in line. This bullpen by committee without him is not going to work. There's no one good enough. Eppler's job is to get help now before this turns into an avalanche. 

It proves though that Eppler didn’t do enough.   A pen should be able to withstand one key loss, at least to the point of not imploding.

Adding only a mediocre Johnson, while losing Norris and Petit, was not how the off-season for relievers should have gone.

I just don’t get it.

A year ago, Eppler brought in Norris, Petit, Parker, and Hernandez.

Why suddenly does he do a 180 a year later, and only brIngs in a nearly done Johnson, despite not retaining Norris and Petit????

Did he not see how BadRock struggled in 2017?

Did he not see how Alvarez is not a late innings guy?

Did he not see that the org did not have enough solid guys on the farm yet?

34 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It proves though that Eppler didn’t do enough.   A pen should be able to withstand one key loss, at least to the point of not imploding.

Adding only a mediocre Johnson, while losing Norris and Petit, was not how the off-season for relievers should have gone.

I agree to an extent but at the end of the day those being brought in have to perform. Everyone was clamoring over the pen when the season started with the exception of a solidified closer. Cozart was supposed to have found gold with his new swing but he's just performing at his career norms. Last year was a complete outlier. Calhoun was supposed to bounce back from last year. Kinsler was supposed to bounce back. From a BP perspective Reed probably would have made the most sense to bring in but cant do much about that now. They need to just bite the bullet and make a trade for a couple quality arms for the bp.

36 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

How can that be when the last two games were on the offense. Last night was not on the BP.

I am sorty....but it would have been tied had the bullpen shut them down.  I know you want to see it differently.  If our bullpen shuts them down it's a 1-1 tie.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

At this point I’d rather lose with our starters than bullpen. I’d feel a little better 

Lost in all the bullpen drama is that the starters have pitched well aside from not going deeper into games.
At this point i think id like to see Scoscia leave them out there a little longer as i have more faith in them than i do the pen currently.