• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This Bullpen is on Eppler

15 minutes ago, floplag said:

Lost in all the bullpen drama is that the starters have pitched well aside from not going deeper into games.
At this point i think id like to see Scoscia leave them out there a little longer as i have more faith in them than i do the pen currently. 

They are averaging just over 6 innings/start these past 17 games.   That isn’t much different from the AL average, plus they are iirc 3rd in AL QSs.

The pen SUCKS, and it isn’t from overuse lately.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

I am sorty....but it would have been tied had the bullpen shut them down.  I know you want to see it differently.  If our bullpen shuts them down it's a 1-1 tie.

I’m sorry you are sorty...

If the BP didn’t give up the runs and it was still 1-0, Ohtani wouldn’t have been hitting against a scrub with a 6+ ERA, he would have been hitting against their closer so HR?

This game was on the offense.

39 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

I’m sorry you are sorty...

If the BP didn’t give up the runs and it was still 1-0, Ohtani wouldn’t have been hitting against a scrub with a 6+ ERA, he would have been hitting against their closer so HR?

This game was on the offense.

All I know is Ohtani hit the HR.  I dont know what other tangible would be different so I dont put them in the equation.

You dont know if Ohtani would have hit the HR off a different reliever.  We do know he did hit the HR

Actually on second thought, I am going to stop blame the pitching for Angels recent suckness, because they really didn't get pay enough to take the blame.

Every other playoff contenders spent a lot more on pitching.

Cubs 100 m

Nationals, Dodgers, Red Sox 80+ 

Yankees 65+ 

Even the small market Indians spent 47+

And the Angels?  Around 25....... 

So the biggest blame should go to the gm and the ex GM's for not spend the money smartly.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I understand getting Cozart.  Don't love it now but it made some sense

Kinsler as well.  didn't like that deal much but I understood it.  

I just don't understand leaving the bullpen the way he did.  

This, 100% this.
I didnt love the Cozart deal, i thought we had better options, but it wasnt bad and i think will be ok.  
Kinsler ive never liked, but hey, again, i got it, hes been about what i thought he would be.  
I can almost even understand the lack of a true 1B, didnt like it, but i got it based on our roster at the time.
I do not get the absolute failure to address the bullpen, makes zero sense.

56 minutes ago, floplag said:

This, 100% this.
I didnt love the Cozart deal, i thought we had better options, but it wasnt bad and i think will be ok.  
Kinsler ive never liked, but hey, again, i got it, hes been about what i thought he would be.  
I can almost even understand the lack of a true 1B, didnt like it, but i got it based on our roster at the time.
I do not get the absolute failure to address the bullpen, makes zero sense.

I’m assuming he was hoping for similar to last year performance from the pen, which as we know was better than league average.   He didn’t want to spend big money on the most volatile part of any team. So my guess is he was hoping it would be average and then trade for pitchers that were performing this year.  It didn’t work or at least hasn’t.  

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

I’m assuming he was hoping for similar to last year performance from the pen, which as we know was better than league average.   He didn’t want to spend big money on the most volatile part of any team. So my guess is he was hoping it would be average and then trade for pitchers that were performing this year.  It didn’t work or at least hasn’t.  

As you say, hoping.  thats not what a potential playoff GM does.
He was looking for lighting in a bottle twice, he got zapped.   It was an unnecessary gamble he didnt have to make

Just now, floplag said:

As you say, hoping.  thats not what a potential playoff GM does.
He was looking for lighting in a bottle twice, he got zapped.   It was an unnecessary gamble he didnt have to make

No he wasn’t looking for lightning in a bottle.  He used the same method as last year.  

6 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Stop putting words in my mouth flop.  I didn’t say overachieving.  Call it what you want, but he probably thought his method was repeatable.  

Perhaps, though i would love to know what that assumptions was based on if thats the case. 

3 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

maybe, but it isn't 'fix the pen or don't'.  It has 7 layers where improvement are incremental.  There were ways to spend a little in order to keep Middleton's injury from catastrophic.  

If it’s now conventional wisdom that relievers are highly volatile then I can see waiting a while to determine who can pitch this year and who can’t. This includes the ones you have as well as any you might look to acquire. Middleton and JC Ramirez pushing everyone back a couple notches would help and I get that they wanted pitchers with options to accommodate the 6 man rotation moves. 

What puzzles me is not finding a legit 2 inning guy or maybe two of those to replace Petit and another lefty. Could we see Canning as a multi-inning reliever soon. Or maybe he has to take Trop’s rotation spot for a couple weeks..

9 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

Analytics, spin rate, strike out rate all versus volatility and $$$

Youre assuming i hope, as none of those would have suggested that last season was anything other than an anomaly statistically. 
Money wise, yes, i agree, which is why ive been harping on them in regards to that.  Past bad financial moves shouldnt cripple a team over a few million possible dollars in lux tax when said team is among the most profitable in the league according to Forbes.   Thats a choice, not a requirement. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Youre assuming i hope, as none of those would have suggested that last season was anything other than an anomaly statistically. 
Money wise, yes, i agree, which is why ive been harping on them in regards to that.  Past bad financial moves shouldnt cripple a team over a few million possible dollars in lux tax when said team is among the most profitable in the league according to Forbes.   Thats a choice, not a requirement. 

The assumption part is at the very least an educated guess.  Those things I posted have all been talked about at length as things Eppler values.  Sure ok he can spend big on a pen, but you keep ignoring the fact that bullpen arms and success from them are the most inconsistent part of baseball.  Obviously if you have a Chapman or a Kimbrel it’s more predictable, but those guys weren’t available and the bonafide closets that were cost $15-17 million a season this past off season.  

6 minutes ago, nando714 said:

But we are a better team than years past, guys. 

Yes we are.  You do realize other teams improve right?  If we win 85-90 games this year that’s a pretty good improvement.  Won’t matter in the playoff discussion if 5 other teams win more than 90.