• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aging an Angel: Albert Pujols

ukyah

41 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

On the bright side, at least Pujols keeps on racking up those RBIs no matter how bad he's struggling to be even a league average hitter, much to the liking of his supporters.

True. I said this multiple times. I’d rather have Albert up then Mike up with the game on the line multiple times. It might be dang unpopular but nobody can deny the fact that Albert gets it done with runners in scoring position and in these cases avoids the dreaded shifts. Hahahhaha 

10 minutes ago, WeaverFever said:

True. I said this multiple times. I’d rather have Albert up then Mike up with the game on the line multiple times. It might be dang unpopular but nobody can deny the fact that Albert gets it done with runners in scoring position and in these cases avoids the dreaded shifts. Hahahhaha 

You'd rather have Albert up than Trout with the game on the line?

3 hours ago, WeaverFever said:

WTF!? 

4 hours ago, WeaverFever said:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at this.  

4 hours ago, WeaverFever said:

I think you're wrong, like basically everybody else seems to, but do want to add to the discussion:

Will be really interesting to see if Pujols can keep up the "save the good for when men are on base." History says no chance, but if he somehow does this year, it's a pretty interesting skill for an aging star. Makes you useful way past the sell by date, advanced stats be damned. 

This +2-3 year age adjustment means his Angels career began at 34 or 35 years old.  Imagine signing a 35-year old to a ten-year contract. 

I remember writing a long post about this three or four years ago - that Albert's decline made a lot more sense if you added 2-3 years to his age. 

13 hours ago, WeaverFever said:

True. I said this multiple times. I’d rather have Albert up then Mike up with the game on the line multiple times.

you have 101 posts in your history here. not sure i've ever seen one of them before or can verify the "multiple times" idea.

and just for future reference, i believe dr. phil has an 800 number for people who want to see pujols bat instead of trout with the game on the line. you should give him a holler.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

That was awesome when five straight guys got on last night, and Albert comes to the plate with bases loaded, no outs.

Pop up.

You had one job to do.

And swings at a pitch after Morton walked three straight batters.    Oy vey!

STOP trying to be the hero you were a decade ago, START hitting the ball where it's pitched, and STOP swinging at pitches after a pitcher walks three straight batters!  

Muchas gracias 

We have him for another three years after this year. He is also going to get a 3 million dollar bonus once he gets his 3000th hit. Unless there is some way to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's actually older than the Angels thought he was, I doubt they'd be able to get out of the contract.

Even if his real age comes out, I don't know if any legal action can take place. Aside from someone threatening his life, he's on this team until his contract expires. Of course, he could get hurt like Fielder did but he would still get paid.

18 hours ago, ukyah said:

This is a good article by trueblood.  i'll let anyone interested click the link in order to not rob the author of traffic.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/39462/rubbing-mud-aging-angel/

That IS a good article.   

Honestly..  if the old man can just put up a couple 105 OPS seasons this year and next we would have to consider those a win on some level.  He's not gonna live up to the contract, he's massively overpaid..  hopefully lessons were learned and the Angels will be better off for it in the future.

If he repeats last year's awfulness --   I'd hope they would accept it as a sunk cost and act accordingly.

18 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

On the bright side, at least Pujols keeps on racking up those RBIs no matter how bad he's struggling to be even a league average hitter, much to the liking of his supporters.

.289/.340/.489 with men on base .vs .220/.220/.380 with the bases empty..   It's really the only thing keeping him from full blown suckage.    Having him lead off an inning after a 3 and out 1st inning has not been ideal so far this year.

28 minutes ago, Lou said:

Noticeably absent from this thread is any mention of his 2-out rbi hit that not only tied the game, but allowed Simmons to come to bat and belt a 3-run homer.

But, yeah . . . pop up 

He actually hits decently enough with runners on base, kudos for that.   Why is it though that he looks like Edgardo Alfonzo with the bases empty?

Dude, you can help the team by getting on base too, feel free to mix in a little plate discipline with the bases empty.   And even with runners on, you still are sometimes far too aggressive swinging the bat, especially vs a pitcher who just walked THREE straight batters.