• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

31 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It does feel like Canning is the best SP prospect we've had since Richards, maybe even before

Agreed.  His stuff is already very polished.  There’s a good shot we see him in the rotation sometime next year.  I think this year, he goes to AA quickly, and maybe gets a start or two at AAA before the year is over.

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just routine pitch count controlling denying him 5 innings of work?   

I’m sure it is.  They understandably want to keep strict pitch counts on their pitchers.  Canning is our blue chip pitching prospect who we will count on in 1-2 years to be a cog in our rotation.  We have a lot of pitching depth, but my feeling is a lot of them are more 4s and 5s vs 2s and 3s.  Canning could be a 2-3 IMO, so his health is a key to our future.

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It does feel like Canning is the best SP prospect we've had since Richards, maybe even before

Canning is actually a better pitching prospect than Richards was. Garrett's fastball, movement and slider were all better than Canning's. Griffin's command, change up and curve are better than Richards'. They're pretty even, but Canning was a hugely successful collegiate pitcher in the toughest conference, coming from a program that has developed top tier pitchers. Richards was a terrible reliever in college, playing in a lesser conference, for a good team that didn't have UCLA's run of success in developing pitchers.

I'm not saying Canning will be better than Richards in the majors. But as a prospect, he is better. Canning is the best pitching prospect since Weaver probably.  

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm excited about Canning too, but there's a lot of hyperbole in this thread after two starts.

That said, I'm hoping the mid-rotation predictions are a bit on the conservative side.

Bruinist