• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I totally agree. Bridwell and Ramirez are filler, #4-5 types. I know people like Ramirez's stuff, but the dude is almost 30 and hasn't shown anything more than flashes. Neither are among my list of future rotation fixtures. Unless he rights the ship, Shoemaker might slip into that category. 

The Angels just have too much depth to accept anything less than above average starters in all 5-6 slots. It might take a year for this to really come to fruition, but by 2019 they'll have a flood of good starters to play with.

The Angels will face a big question: as to whether or not to give Garret a big contract. He's playing for a big pay-day this year. With their depth, it is hard to justify megabucks, but he probably won't get megabucks given his history.

I'm thinking Meyer should be converted to a reliever when he comes back. He could be a great closer.

Bridwell and Ramirez "type" pitchers are very valuable when they have options.  Bridwell has an option, so he's useful to us now because we can shuttle him back and forth, which enables us to maximize our roster better.  Ramirez is out of options.  Right now it's no problem, as we need starters to absorb innings, but as our minor league pitching talent blooms (Barria, Canning, etc), he may get squeezed and either become a bullpen guy or let go entirely.

I think we ultimately make a strong play to resign Richards.  We do have a lot of depth, but we need at least two top of the rotation type starters.  Ohtani is one, and it'd be good to keep Richards as the other.

I think Shoemaker is someone we might let go of after this year.  He's becoming expensive (4.1mil this year), and given that he just can't seem to stay healthy or, when healthy, generates modest results, we could look to save some salary by trading him or non-tendering him, as he'll probably earn 6+ million next year.

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I totally agree. Bridwell and Ramirez are filler, #4-5 types. I know people like Ramirez's stuff, but the dude is almost 30 and hasn't shown anything more than flashes. Neither are among my list of future rotation fixtures. Unless he rights the ship, Shoemaker might slip into that category. 

The Angels just have too much depth to accept anything less than above average starters in all 5-6 slots. It might take a year for this to really come to fruition, but by 2019 they'll have a flood of good starters to play with.

The Angels will face a big question: as to whether or not to give Garret a big contract. He's playing for a big pay-day this year. With their depth, it is hard to justify megabucks, but he probably won't get megabucks given his history.

I'm thinking Meyer should be converted to a reliever when he comes back. He could be a great closer.

GR is in his age 30 season.  Not sure an extension for his would have to be 'big'.  He's not Darvish so it won't be anywhere near the 6/126 he got.  Alex Cobb is probably the closest comp but he recently pitched 180 innings with a sub 4 era whereas GR had thrown about 60 ip over the last two years.  So if GR pitches about 160/70 innings this year, he's in line for what cobb got.  If he gets hurt, I can see them moving on.  If they, by chance, were to lock him up right now, it would be 2/24 with a couple of team options.  

Agree on Meyer as well although it wouldn't surprise me if he never saw meaningful innings at the major league level again.  

40 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Also, if we are rolling at the ASB, I think Eppler taps into the farm and gets a starter.  

That's not really his MO. He likes acquiring guys at the low point of their value, and also likes building a strong farm to support long term contention.

Even if Shoe is out for a while and Ramirez goes back to the pen because of his struggles, we have a couple of aces up our sleeve (not aces but you know what I mean) in Tropeano and Barria that would likely do quite well in a major league rotation. 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

That's not really his MO. He likes acquiring guys at the low point of their value, and also likes building a strong farm to support long term contention.

Even if Shoe is out for a while and Ramirez goes back to the pen because of his struggles, we have a couple of aces up our sleeve (not aces but you know what I mean) in Tropeano and Barria that would likely do quite well in a major league rotation. 

I don't think we've seen his entire MO.  He plucked Upton away from Detroit at the waiver deadline with the intent of keeping him long term.  Who's to say that he doesn't go out and grab Michael Fulmer or some other club controlled guy who's really good but on a bad team?  

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Also, I think Eppler goes full on Dipoto in the draft and picks a couple of upside college starters early that will only need two years in the minors.

I disagree with this, but we'll see.  I think he'll continue to add high ceiling guys.  We've got plenty of club control left with Skaggs (through 2020), Heaney (through 2021), Trop (through 2021), Shoe (2020), Ohtani, Barria, and Canning.  We have plenty of money to spend.  If a Canning is available then sure, we might grab him, I don't see him having a draft strategy that places a lot of value on proximity to the majors.  

20 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

What's worse, saying Eppler will go full on Dipoto or saying we don't need to re-up Trout. 

Also, Dipoto sucked at drafting, Eppler is good. Would it make you guys feel better if I said Eppler went double Griffin Canning with the first two picks of the draft?

that's not Dipoto at all though.  Canning slipped but he's a first round talent.  

If Eppler were going to try to use the draft to quickly supplement the majors, he already would have.  Even Dipoto didn't do what you are talking about. 

RJ Alvarez is the most indicative.  Supposed to be a reliever close to the majors but he was taken in the 3rd round

Hunter Green and Middleton were total projects.  As was Newcomb to a lesser degree.   Gatto - project.  Ellis - ok sort of, but also a 3rd rounder.  Long - also sort of but again, 3rd round.  

The one thing I agree with you about is that Ric Wilson and Dipoto weren't very good at drafting.  

Eppler does some high floor drafting in rounds 5-10 in order to maintain pool money.  Dipoto was college seniors up and down the entire draft.  He's doing it for Seattle as well.  I don't think Eppler will ever do that.  

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think we've seen his entire MO.  He plucked Upton away from Detroit at the waiver deadline with the intent of keeping him long term.  Who's to say that he doesn't go out and grab Michael Fulmer or some other club controlled guy who's really good but on a bad team?  

I disagree with this, but we'll see.  I think he'll continue to add high ceiling guys.  We've got plenty of club control left with Skaggs (through 2020), Heaney (through 2021), Trop (through 2021), Shoe (2020), Ohtani, Barria, and Canning.  We have plenty of money to spend.  If a Canning is available then sure, we might grab him, I don't see him having a draft strategy that places a lot of value on proximity to the majors.  

I was speaking very much in generalities. When I think of a Dipoto pick, I think college pitcher. If you dissect the picks further then yes, college seniors up and down the board. And I was championing Canning as a first round talent grabbed in the second round since last June. You're preaching to the choir.

I am saying that I think Eppler grabs two college arms with his first two picks.

30 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I was speaking very much in generalities. When I think of a Dipoto pick, I think college pitcher. If you dissect the picks further then yes, college seniors up and down the board. And I was championing Canning as a first round talent grabbed in the second round since last June. You're preaching to the choir.

I am saying that I think Eppler grabs two college arms with his first two picks.

the draft is deep with College arms right?  So that could be possible.  I just think he'll go off of his big board and draft the BPA.  It might end up being two college pitchers, but I think he'll do what he's done the last two years.  Slot pick and then high upside or high upside and then slot pick.  Then three higher upside guys for rounds 3-5.  College guys 6-10 at or below slot.  Higher upside guys at 11-15ish.  Then the rest college or unsignable HS guys.  

I was wondering why Kevin Williams was skipped over Low A. Small sample size, but I think the Angels wanted Adell, Hunter and Marsh to play together at Low A and Williams was the odd man out.. Williams has been over matched so far.

38 minutes ago, Stax said:

I was wondering why Kevin Williams was skipped over Low A. Small sample size, but I think the Angels wanted Adell, Hunter and Marsh to play together at Low A and Williams was the odd man out.. Williams has been over matched so far.

It has only been 3 games. Meanwhile Baldoquin has been on a tear. 

Small sample size. Marsh has yet to pick up his first hit on the young season as well.

Tough night for Halo baseball tonight with a few exceptions.  

BBees won 9-3 

Rivas 2/4, bb

Adell 1-4, 3b and 3k

Marsh still hitless,  bb

IE lost 5-0.  

Suarez with 10k in 5ip.  2er, 2h, 0bb.  Keeps getting discounted because of his size.  90k in 68.2 ip last year.  3.28 era.  I think the Vargas comp is fair.  Jose Quintana comp is probably aggressive.  

Baldoquin 1-4, 3b.  

SLC lost 9-4

not much to talk about.  

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

What's worse, saying Eppler will go full on Dipoto or saying we don't need to re-up Trout. 

Evidently you're the guy that when the enemy has captured troops and tells them one has to die, you point to the guy next to you.

In other words, nice to deflect onto someone else ;)