• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Suarez with 10k in 5ip.  2er, 2h, 0bb.  Keeps getting discounted because of his size.  90k in 68.2 ip last year.  3.28 era.  I think the Vargas comp is fair.  Jose Quintana comp is probably aggressive.  

FWIW, Suarez is striking guys at a rate that'd make Vargas blush, and almost above what Quintana did in the minors too. Not that strikeouts are everything and the game's trends trends have shifted a bit since those guys were in the minors, but there may be a little more swing-and-miss to Suarez' game than what those two have.

40 minutes ago, totdprods said:

FWIW, Suarez is striking guys at a rate that'd make Vargas blush, and almost above what Quintana did in the minors too. Not that strikeouts are everything and the game's trends trends have shifted a bit since those guys were in the minors, but there may be a little more swing-and-miss to Suarez' game than what those two have.

Suarez certainly is a guy to keep an eye on.  Very impressive debut he had.  As mentioned upthread, Canning and Suarez will be guys to watch at the hi-A level.  I feel our Burlington and IE rosters are stacked with talent.  The upper minors are bit more devoid of high-end prospects, thanks to Eppler's years, but the hi-A and low-A teams are pretty stacked.  It's fun tracking our minor league system again.  

25 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Suarez certainly is a guy to keep an eye on.  Very impressive debut he had.  As mentioned upthread, Canning and Suarez will be guys to watch at the hi-A level.  I feel our Burlington and IE rosters are stacked with talent.  The upper minors are bit more devoid of high-end prospects, thanks to Eppler's years, but the hi-A and low-A teams are pretty stacked.  It's fun tracking our minor league system again.  

AAA team is pretty stacked, even if it isn't the flashy prospects.

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

AAA team is pretty stacked, even if it isn't the flashy prospects.

I'd say AAA has good depth pieces for us to help support our major league team, which is refreshing as compared to years past.  Outside of Barria, I don't see any significant prospects there, but again, it's important to have guys in AAA who we can call upon as needed due to injury/poor performance, and we certainly do have that.

12 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Suarez was our #19 prospect in the system. Here's his scouting report.

https://www.google.com/amp/thesportsdaily.com/2018/01/03/angelswin-top-30-prospects-19-lhp-jose-suarez/amp/

As I stated in the article, I think he can grow into a Jason Vargas type of #4/5/6 starter.

I would say his upside is more of a middle of the rotation arm. I would not be surprised by his age 22 season, for him to be throwing from the middle 90s to the low 90s constantly with a plus change and an above average curve. 

We have three guys in our system that are opening  eyes in Rodriguez, Soriano and Surez. 

Than there is Baldoquin, who's looking much better this season than any other. 

20 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

It'd be interesting if Baldoquin pulled off a Cowart and hit so well this year he wound up finishing '18 in AAA, conceivably in the picture for UT IF/minor league depth in '19. 

20 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I would say his upside is more of a middle of the rotation arm. I would not be surprised by his age 22 season, for him to be throwing from the middle 90s to the low 90s constantly with a plus change and an above average curve. 

We have three guys in our system that are opening  eyes in Rodriguez, Soriano and Surez. 

The radar gun was likely hot and Suarez was pretty amped for his first start. He doesn't throw mid-90's, and it is highly unlikely he will reach that velocity. Last season he worked 90-91, and last night he worked 92-ish.

His curve, for now does not profile as a "plus" offering as much as he spots it well, which is exactly what my report read. But the change up is everything advertised and more.

23 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'd say AAA has good depth pieces for us to help support our major league team, which is refreshing as compared to years past.  Outside of Barria, I don't see any significant prospects there, but again, it's important to have guys in AAA who we can call upon as needed due to injury/poor performance, and we certainly do have that.

The point of a prospect is to become a major leaguer and support the team. The Bees have a whole boat load of those. They aren't "top prospects", but it does not mean they aren't stacked.

Tropeano, Carter, Fernandez, Liriano, Blash....these are good players.

The ones that show up on the prospect lists from AAA aren't bad either. Barria, Fletcher, Hermosillo.

46 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The point of a prospect is to become a major leaguer and support the team. The Bees have a whole boat load of those. They aren't "top prospects", but it does not mean they aren't stacked.

Tropeano, Carter, Fernandez, Liriano, Blash....these are good players.

The ones that show up on the prospect lists from AAA aren't bad either. Barria, Fletcher, Hermosillo.

LOL, yes, I think most people are aware the purpose of a prospect is to reach the majors and support the team.  Role players are useful and support the team.  

My point was that in terms of excitement and sheer talent, our lower level teams are stacked.  It's fun looking at those kinds of players to see what they ultimately become.  It is not to diminish the value of a role player in AAA who can come up and support the team, but obviously as fans, we probably have more fun watching Mike Trout bat and play CF than we do watching Jeffrey Marte bat and play defense.  

I agree with both of you. AAA isn't loaded with high-end prospects, but it provides nice depth for the major league club, with a bunch of players who will help this year.

Barria probably has the highest upside, as a #3 type starter. I think Tropeano is similar. Hermosillo, Fletcher, and Fernandez could all be average regulars or very good role players, and Carter has already proven he's that. Blash...probably the same, but who knows.

But yeah, no players that project as stars. I suppose there's a best-case scenario where Barria is a #2, but that's about it.

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I agree with both of you. AAA isn't loaded with high-end prospects, but it provides nice depth for the major league club, with a bunch of players who will help this year.

Barria probably has the highest upside, as a #3 type starter. I think Tropeano is similar. Hermosillo, Fletcher, and Fernandez could all be average regulars or very good role players, and Carter has already proven he's that. Blash...probably the same, but who knows.

But yeah, no players that project as stars. I suppose there's a best-case scenario where Barria is a #2, but that's about it.

I've learned not to put a limit on Barria. First time I watched him, I thought depth fodder. After a couple more times scouting him, I thought fifth starter. The next season I thought maybe mid-rotation.

But then you blink and realize he's making fools of AAA hitters in a hitter friendly environment at the tender age of 20. 

Stuff-wise, he's a #3/4/5 starter. But then everything else he does that I just chalk up to pitchability (poise, command, holding runners, etc..) makes him more than that. 

So I really don't know what Barria is and isn't. But I know I'm not going to guess and be wrong anymore with him.

I guess the SLC Bees are stacked.  For a AAA team.  Because it's primarily filled with a bunch of AAAA type players and a few former platoon guys.  

Outside of Barria, Trop and a few pen guys on the pitching side as well as Herm and maybe Fletch on the position player side, there aren't really any 'prospects'.   

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I guess the SLC Bees are stacked.  For a AAA team.  Because it's primarily filled with a bunch of AAAA type players and a few former platoon guys.  

Outside of Barria, Trop and a few pen guys on the pitching side as well as Herm and maybe Fletch on the position player side, there aren't really any 'prospects'.   

The best prospects typically don't see AAA much anyway.