• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think we’ll see Canning in September at the latest, and a fixture in the rotation by 2019. Same with Barria. Pretty soon the Angels are going to have 7 or 8 guys who are #3s or better.

I'm hoping it will cause Eppler and Scioscia to have a much shorter leash for underperforming starters. Bridwell really isn't very good, and if Ramirez struggles we know he can find success and stabilize our bullpen. Same with Skaggs and Shoe if they're healthy. Plus Tropeano is waiting in AAA.

Basically, there's absolutely no reason why the Angels should put up with crap performances.

48 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm hoping it will cause Eppler and Scioscia to have a much shorter leash for underperforming starters. Bridwell really isn't very good, and if Ramirez struggles we know he can find success and stabilize our bullpen. Same with Skaggs and Shoe if they're healthy. Plus Tropeano is waiting in AAA.

Basically, there's absolutely no reason why the Angels should put up with crap performances.

I totally agree. Bridwell and Ramirez are filler, #4-5 types. I know people like Ramirez's stuff, but the dude is almost 30 and hasn't shown anything more than flashes. Neither are among my list of future rotation fixtures. Unless he rights the ship, Shoemaker might slip into that category. 

The Angels just have too much depth to accept anything less than above average starters in all 5-6 slots. It might take a year for this to really come to fruition, but by 2019 they'll have a flood of good starters to play with.

The Angels will face a big question: as to whether or not to give Garret a big contract. He's playing for a big pay-day this year. With their depth, it is hard to justify megabucks, but he probably won't get megabucks given his history.

I'm thinking Meyer should be converted to a reliever when he comes back. He could be a great closer.

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I totally agree. Bridwell and Ramirez are filler, #4-5 types. I know people like Ramirez's stuff, but the dude is almost 30 and hasn't shown anything more than flashes. Neither are among my list of future rotation fixtures. Unless he rights the ship, Shoemaker might slip into that category. 

The Angels just have too much depth to accept anything less than above average starters in all 5-6 slots. It might take a year for this to really come to fruition, but by 2019 they'll have a flood of good starters to play with.

The Angels will face a big question: as to whether or not to give Garret a big contract. He's playing for a big pay-day this year. With their depth, it is hard to justify megabucks, but he probably won't get megabucks given his history.

I'm thinking Meyer should be converted to a reliever when he comes back. He could be a great closer.

Unfortunate because Meyer had truly turned the corner before getting injuries. He was looking like a legitimate ace. 

I think since Alex is out of options, they'll bring him back as a reliever, for at least the first year. Then if he proves he's healthy, thry can visit moving him back into the rotation (I mean, with that kind of upside you can't pass up that chance). If it works, great, if not, there's always the bullpen.

Personally, I'd bring back Garrett. He's close with Trout and Kole, part of the fabric of this team and is the leader of that pitching staff. They'll have about 25 million coming off the books (15-ish after raises in arbitration). 

They can extend Richards and Maldonado and get away with raising their payroll only 5-10 million or so.

I'd like to keep Richards too, but let's see how the year unfolds - and how his arm holds up.

What is so incredible to me is that in just a year or two, Eppler has transformed this team into one of great depth - at nearly every position. They literally don't need to sign anyone outside of the org for years to come to remain competitive. Not many orgs can say that.

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd like to keep Richards too, but let's see how the year unfolds - and how his arm holds up.

What is so incredible to me is that in just a year or two, Eppler has transformed this team into one of great depth - at nearly every position. They literally don't need to sign anyone outside of the org for years to come to remain competitive. Not many orgs can say that.

The only position they’ll need to fill outside or the org next year is 2nd/3rd base.  

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

And without increasing payroll or having a fire sale. The possibilities are endless when you have a GM that makes the right moves.

@SuperTroopers @totdprods

If we're lucky, Jahmai could be ready to play 2B in 2019. Also, I think the Angels would consider not picking up Valbuena's option if Matt Thaiss has a good year in 2018.

It's really exciting to think about our prospects impacting the 2019/2020 roster. Fletcher at utility infielder, Jones at 2B and backup OF, Thaiss at 1B, Barria and Canning in the rotation, and the bullpen having some options like Paredes, Morris, and Abraham.

That figures to be the largest influx of prospect talent this team has benefited from in over a decade, since Kendrick, Aybar, Weaver, Mathis, Wood etc.... Obviously they all didn't pan out but it was still a huge wave of talent.

I don’t think Jones will be the guy just yet.   I also see zero chance of Valbuena being retained but stranger things have happened.  As for Fletcher, the team just has to ask themselves if they think he can produce playing once or twice a week.   I’m more a fan of using MLB veterans for the role of 4th outfielder and utility infielder.  Especially on a team with playoff aspirations. 

I'm fine with the team going cheap for the 2B solution and working guys like Fletcher, Fernandez, Schimpf, and Cowart as league minimum options. Save some money. 

I would be interested in DJ LeMahieu though, and if Kinsler drops a .750+ OPS with good defense, going year to year with him would be cool too. 

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

I don’t think Jones will be the guy just yet.   I also see zero chance of Valbuena being retained but stranger things have happened.  As for Fletcher, the team just has to ask themselves if they think he can produce playing once or twice a week.   I’m more a fan of using MLB veterans for the role of 4th outfielder and utility infielder.  Especially on a team with playoff aspirations. 

Typically, I'd agree. It takes an MLB veteran to be prepared to produce at a moments notice without everyday AB's. Plus I think a utility infielder could contribute a lot to clubhouse morale.

But in David Fletcher, I feel the Angels could have something more valuable. He can pinch run and steal a base if necessary. He's a good defender at multiple positions, he's great as a hitter coming off the bench because of his contact oriented game. He isn't intimidated by major league pitchers, is a great clubhouse guy and is a spark plug on every team he plays for.

I think Jones and Fletcher would make a wonderful bench/starter combo. Jones can start at 2B while also serving as the 4th OF while Fletcher plays all over the diamond. If Jones is in the OF, Fletcher moves to 2B, otherwise he's our reserve at SS and 3B.

When you have Ohtani on the roster, you need versatility elsewhere. If Valbuena isn't coming back and Thaiss is coming in, we'll need another infielder that can handle third base, enter Fletcher.

It's really too bad the Angels won't have Ward playing catcher at all anymore. Having your backup catcher also capable of playing third base would be huge.

43 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm fine with the team going cheap for the 2B solution and working guys like Fletcher, Fernandez, Schimpf, and Cowart as league minimum options. Save some money. 

I would be interested in DJ LeMahieu though, and if Kinsler drops a .750+ OPS with good defense, going year to year with him would be cool too. 

I also like the idea of Fernandez out there, or going year to year with Kinsler.

19 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Typically, I'd agree. It takes an MLB veteran to be prepared to produce at a moments notice without everyday AB's. Plus I think a utility infielder could contribute a lot to clubhouse morale.

But in David Fletcher, I feel the Angels could have something more valuable. He can pinch run and steal a base if necessary. He's a good defender at multiple positions, he's great as a hitter coming off the bench because of his contact oriented game. He isn't intimidated by major league pitchers, is a great clubhouse guy and is a spark plug on every team he plays for.

I think Jones and Fletcher would make a wonderful bench/starter combo. Jones can start at 2B while also serving as the 4th OF while Fletcher plays all over the diamond. If Jones is in the OF, Fletcher moves to 2B, otherwise he's our reserve at SS and 3B.

When you have Ohtani on the roster, you need versatility elsewhere. If Valbuena isn't coming back and Thaiss is coming in, we'll need another infielder that can handle third base, enter Fletcher.

It's really too bad the Angels won't have Ward playing catcher at all anymore. Having your backup catcher also capable of playing third base would be huge.

Great points Scotty.  I still think we will see a one year deal for an everyday second baseman, maybe it is Kinsler back, I don't know.  But the Fletcher idea makes a ton of sense.  I like that he makes contact and seems to take a few pitches.  He could be pesky. Also if you start a season with him and we seem opportunity with him early on, it isn't tough to replace that piece at the deadline.  

Fletcher could be Eckstein, or he could be Gio. I could see him holding the keystone for a year while Jones matures, but not more than that. But the Angels have several intriguing middle infielders with Jones, Rivas, and Vega.

Catcher seems to be the weakest organizational position, especially now that Ward moved to 3B. 

I see Fletch as Gio with great defense. Gio still gave us some positive WAR, but the defense negated that and we had too many other weaknesses on the team at the time to afford that sacrifice. He'd be okay being league minimum.

I think that extra money saved will come in handy for Trout or Ohtani extensions. Eppler may cash in for one more 'big' piece in the next year or so via FA or trade to help solidify this team if we don't go deep in postseason this year. 

Here's a crazy and perhaps sacriligeous thought, worthy of a week ban: The Angels don't absolutely "need" to extend Trout. 

Don't get me wrong: I very much hope that they do. He is not only the best player in baseball but also, other than Bonds, quite possibly the best player since Willie Mays retired.

But Eppler has built such depth that the Angels don't need to keep him to remain competitive in perpetuity. A 2021 OF of Adell, Deveaux, and Marsh could be amazing. Again, I hope Trout is in there, but I think we can all breathe a bit easier about the future of this club. It is no longer a "superstar and scrubs" outfit.

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Here's a crazy and perhaps sacriligeous thought, worthy of a week ban: The Angels don't absolutely "need" to extend Trout. 

Don't get me wrong: I very much hope that they do. He is not only the best player in baseball but also, other than Bonds, quite possibly the best player since Willie Mays retired.

But Eppler has built such depth that the Angels don't need to keep him to remain competitive in perpetuity. A 2021 OF of Adell, Deveaux, and Marsh could be amazing. Again, I hope Trout is in there, but I think we can all breathe a bit easier about the future of this club. It is no longer a "superstar and scrubs" outfit.

F**k you.  

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

You shit eating motherfuck

41 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

STFU & GTFO AJ!!

58 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Guys..... I'll get some rope.....

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I admire you for taking a bold stance like that.  It is a wildly unpopular one, but I give you credit for saying it.  

That said, Trout is a once in a generation kind of player.  Yeah, most likely when we resign him to a gigantic extension, the tail end of that contract will become an albatross, but for a player like Trout, that's fine.  He is OUR player, and I look forward to him being considered one of the top 5 players to have ever played the game and to have played his entire career as an Angel.