• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I see your point but disagree with a lot of that. I think you put Deveaux into A ball right now, he hits .170 with a 35% K rate, that can definitely have some negative effects on a kids confidence. Vs. playing at the appropriate level for his age and hitting the ball well

I like being aggressive with prospects too, but just throwing young guys into a fire when they haven't shown anything is asking for trouble IMO. If Deveaux tears up Orem for a month, I don't see a problem with getting him to A ball to end the year

I mostly agree with Doc, but think it's situational. If you have a player you think has top 20 in the league talent, you push him. The best tend to play up and learn from the competition. If they don't, then maybe they're not who you think they are. Learning that has value to the org for future planning purposes. 

On the flip side, the utility guys and lower tier regulars should be paced methodically, the lower ceiling to their performance (these guys know which they are by the time they're drafted), with rare exception, probably take a bigger hit to their psyche when they are pushed too fast and experience failure. 

Please note that this all based on my extensive experience armchair managing and watching baseball on TV. Thus, you can trust that I know better than most scouts and front office execs. 

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I see your point but disagree with a lot of that. I think you put Deveaux into A ball right now, he hits .170 with a 35% K rate, that can definitely have some negative effects on a kids confidence. Vs. playing at the appropriate level for his age and hitting the ball well

I like being aggressive with prospects too, but just throwing young guys into a fire when they haven't shown anything is asking for trouble IMO. If Deveaux tears up Orem for a month, I don't see a problem with getting him to A ball to end the year

not sure what you are basing this on.  I haven't seen more than a couple of vids of Deveaux.  If they promote him to A ball, it's because they think he's ready and I trust that.  

I can guess that they won't but who knows.  

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

not sure what you are basing this on.  I haven't seen more than a couple of vids of Deveaux.  If they promote him to A ball, it's because they think he's ready and I trust that.  

I can guess that they won't but who knows.  

Not basing it on anything more than my own view and attempting to be a sports psychologist. 

what do we know about Simon Mathews?

Un-drafted FA from georgetown where he didn't perform well.  Was solid last year at a few levels most of which came at Orem.  3.00 era with 55k in 51ip.  

23k in 15ip for Burlington so far this season.  4 er.  Started tonight and went 4ip.  Stretched him out at the end of last year.  

6'2"  180lb  rher.  

Actually threw a couple innings in AAA this year and a couple at AA last year.  

Pitch mix?  Velo?  Delivery?

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

But the point is that Blash's swing get's exploited at the major league level (as he hits 2hrs tonight).  

Maybe, maybe not. I've been wrong enough times on these 20-somethings making adjustments in AAA that I just asssume there's only one way to find out. 

I'll say this, he could probably outproduce Calhoun right now, which says literally nothing. 

23 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

So the MiLB tv app, is it easy to airplay or can you down load it to Apple TV?  What would it cost for the season?

I think I pay $30 a year for it, but I've had it for a few years now. Just beware, production quality varies between opponents. Salt Lake and Burlington are decent enough to watch, Mobile is hit or miss, I.E is only good when they play San Jose. Orem's is seriously lacking for the most part.

4/21/18
Salt Lake (11-6) won 8-6 vs. Albuquerque (7-10)
David Fletcher: 3-5, 2 R, 2B, E (1); through 15 G, 66 AB: .348/.386/.545/.931 with 9 XBH, 4 BB, and still only 1 strikeout. 2-2 in SB attempts.
Kaleb Cowart: 2-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI, K 
Jose Miguel Fernandez (1B): 3-4, R, 2B, RBI - hitting .350
Jabari Blash: 2-3, 2 HR (8), 3 RBI - halfway to matching the Angels minor league leader last season...after one month.
Ryan Schimpf: 1-3, HR (1), BB, K 
Sherman Johnson (LF): 1-4, HR (2), K, quietly slashing .357/.333/1.071/1.405 in 14 AB - all 5 hits are extra base hits, and zero walks.
The Bees hit 102 HR last season. They're already at 30 in 2018, and slashing .301/.375/.542/.917 as a club.
On the mound...
Dylan Unsworth (up from AA): 5 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 HR
Justin Anderson: IP, K - his '18 AA/AAA plus ST line: 15.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 21 K
Jordan Jankowski: IP, H, K; in 3 games, 2.2 IP - 4 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 6 K - career minor league K/9 of 10.4

Mobile (7-8) lost 1-3 vs. MIssissippi (7-9)
Jose Rodriguez: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K - only 22 years old. The Mobile rotation has a lot of promise with Canning, Pena, Rodriguez, and Suarez
Jake Jewell: 1.2 IP, 2 H, K - in 6 G, 11 IP: 13 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 10 K
Ryan Clark: 2 IP, H, 2 K - recently promoted to AA. In 7 games, 11.1 IP: 7 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 14 K

Inland Empire (8-9) vs. Lancaster (8-9)
Jahmai Jones (1st game since 4/13): 1-4, RBI, BB, K, CS (1), E (3)
Kevin Williams: 3-4, R, 2B
DJ Jenkins: 2-3, RBI, K
Nate Bertness: 6 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, BB, 3 K - ended '17 strong, tall lefty
Adrian Almeida: 2 IP, H, 4 K - lefty reliever off to nice start: 6 G, 10 IP: 5 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 15 L, lefties yet to record a hit against him

Burlington (6-5) won 5-3 in 7 innings vs. Quad Cities (3-8); first game of doubleheader
Jo Adell: 1-3, R, 2 RBI, 2 K, E (1) 
Julio Garcia: 1-3, 2B, 3 RBI
Gleyvin Pineda (3B) and Julio Garcia (2B) turned a triple play. 
Luis Madero: 3 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, BB, 3 K
James Ziemba: 3 IP, 3 H, BB, 2 K

Burlington (6-6) lost 4-5 in 7 innings vs. Quad Cities (4-8); 2nd game of doubleheader, makeup of 4/14 PPD
Torii Hunter: 0-3, 3 K - 21 strikeouts in 40 AB
Simon Mathews: 4 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, BB, 7 K

23 hours ago, Dochalo said:

not sure about that.  The halos have been very aggressive with promotions lately.  

With Marsh showing the level of discipline he has been, my guess is that he's moved up in the next month or so.  I bet they keep Adell there for at least half the year.  Maybe a call up with about a month to go.  

Even keeping Adell and Marsh in Burlington most of the year with an August bump to IE would shade on the more aggressive side. 

It seems like they're much quicker pulling the trigger on prospects from Inland Empire up to Mobile rather than up to A+, and they conversely seem to bump guys back to AA pretty often. They seem to treat Burlington and Mobile as good gauges for a prospect, maybe because the leagues are a bit tougher and more neutral than Cal/PCL.

43 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Even keeping Adell and Marsh in Burlington most of the year with an August bump to IE would shade on the more aggressive side. 

It seems like they're much quicker pulling the trigger on prospects from Inland Empire up to Mobile rather than up to A+, and they conversely seem to bump guys back to AA pretty often. They seem to treat Burlington and Mobile as good gauges for a prospect, maybe because the leagues are a bit tougher and more neutral than Cal/PCL.

Most teams treat them that way. 

Instructional League is a controlled environment where they really just want tools to stand out.

Rookie Ball is the same thing, except it isn't controlled. Basically just show the goods.

A Ball is where they want to tools to be present in the game, but also a level of refinement, or if not refinement, then at least show progress on a specific part of a prospects game that has been targeted for improvement. But the biggest thing with A Ball is actually stamina. Getting them used to playing a full season against better competition than any of them have faced.

AA is the upper minors. Take everything from A Ball and do it against major league caliber talent. The best prospects are in AA.

Advanced A Ball is a filler step for guys that need a extra development time before they're ready for AA.

AAA is just a "depth team" for the majors. Few in AAA are still developing. Maybe a small measure of refinement. AAA is also used for rehab as well.

A Ball and AA are the most important steps.

Jared Walsh also pitched and frame and recorded a couple of K's.  Also, Brandon Marsh is currently sporting a .423 OBP.  Right now it's looking like both he and Adell will follow the path Jahmai Jones set last season.  Spending only enough time in A Ball to prove he's made the adjustments and can play up before moving on to Advanced A Ball.  Given Jahmai's success in the Cal League last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he moved up to AA sooner rather than later, but because he's learning a new defensive position, they may keep him down longer.