• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols - Career BA tracker - 4/30/19 at .302 (Down .003 since last year this time)

zenmaster

36 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

There is no comparison...

Aaron has double the career value as a hitter as Ortiz, and Williams is considerably higher than Aaron despite missing three years in his prime due to war.

Aaron was ridiculous at age 39 in 1973, as part of the first trio of teammates to ever hit 40 HRs each (Aaron, Darrell Evans, and Davey Johnson).

Johnson was just channeling his inner 1996 Brady Anderson. 

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Hank Aaron

Age 39: .301/.402 12 DB 40 HR  WAR: 4.7

Age 29: .319/.392 29 DB and 44 HR.  WAR: 9.1

Blind or dumb.....blind or dumb.......I'm gonna go with blumb. 

Ted Williams

Age 39: .328/.358 23 DB 26 HR WAR: 4.0

Age 29: .369/.497 44 DB 25 HR  WAR: 8.5

Maybe you were being sarcastic?  Because that's just plain idiotic. 

You were joking, right?  I mean you had to be. 

TW at 28: 1.133 OPS, 205 OPS+

TW at 38: 1.257 OPS, 233 OPS+

HA at 29: .977 OPS, 179 OPS+

HA at 39: 1.045 OPS, 177 OPS+

Do whatever you want with WAR, but the reality is my examples show a couple of guys that did better in OB% and SLG% in their late 30s than they did in their late 20s.

The point is seeing David Ortiz mash at 40 is not evidence he cheated.  It is not.

Sorry.

Pujols is just 24 doubles away from passing Biggio for 5th all time. He likely won't get higher than that but it's another milestone.

He's got Cap Anson and Arod within his sights for RBI total.

It's pretty insane that he could end up top 5 in HR, RBI, and 2B. He'd be the only player in history to do so.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Pujols is just 24 doubles away from passing Biggio for 5th all time. He likely won't get higher than that but it's another milestone.

It's pretty insane that he could end up top 5 in HR, RBI, and 2B. He'd be the only player in history to do so.

Whoop de damn do

19 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Do whatever you want with WAR, but the reality is my examples show a couple of guys that did better in OB% and SLG% in their late 30s than they did in their late 20s.

The point is seeing David Ortiz mash at 40 is not evidence he cheated.  It is not.

Sorry.

You were serious......wow.  Ok.  Then yeah, I'll say it.  That's insane. You're trying to explain that a 39 year old guy with less XBH. lower BA, lower OBP and lower WAR is actually better than the 29 year old version of himself with a higher WAR, more XBH, higher BA and higher OBP.

On top of which your original premise is completely misguided.  You're throwing Ortiz in with Hank Aaron and Teddy Williams.  

Ortiz was a cheater and he was no Teddy Wlliams, certainly not Hank Aaron. 

Edited by Second Base

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You were serious......wow.  Ok.  Then yeah, I'll say it.  That's idiotic.  Completely stupid.  You're trying to explain that a 39 year old guy with less XBH. lower BA, lower OBP and lower WAR is actually better than the 29 year old version of himself with a higher WAR, more XBH, higher BA and higher OBP.

On top of which your original premise is completely misguided.  You're throwing Ortiz in with Hank Aaron and Teddy Williams.  

Ortiz was a cheater.  Everything about the situation says he was a cheater.  

Literally everything about your answer is wrong.  Man that was dumb. 

Sorry you are so spun out on this.  Your core argument was Ortiz was a cheater because nobody hits that well at 40.

That's a stupid argument when lots of players have hit well at 40.

You are fully comfortable saying Ortiz is a cheater based on that stupid argument.

I believe you said "everyone knows it".  . .or something to that effect.

Talk about exaggerating. Funny I don't really see anybody in the baseball world saying Ortiz was a cheater.

And when Ortiz gets inducted in the HOF no problem by all the voters who are very sensitive to cheating, what will you say then?

By the way, I can't stand David Ortiz.  I just have the discipline to not label him a cheater just because he mashed at 40 years old.

Edited by Dtwncbad

26 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

E80E921F-56D9-46BC-8239-FBB18BE710B4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, eligrba said:

For as much grief this board gives Pujols, who predicted his complete collapse once he signed?  Many people thought that his skills would diminish but no one saw this epic nose dive we have all endured watching.

No one did. And it is rather historic. The most comparable collapse is Ken Griffey Jr, at least in recent years. 

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

For as much grief this board gives Pujols, who predicted his complete collapse once he signed?  Many people thought that his skills would diminish but no one saw this epic nose dive we have all endured watching.

Yep. I could care less about his mostly St. louis milestones. If he was still putting up big numbers it would make a huge difference in the team’s standings. Today’s Albert has a negative impact on the teams performance overall. I wish he would retire.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Pujols is also the oldest player (age 50) to hit a homerun.

Somewhere, Julio Franco is pissed

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sorry.

This is a disingenuous post because you are cherry picking seasons that fit your narrative. Williams had a fairly standard aging curve, he was just so great that he could still put up insane numbers for stretches in his late 30s. Aaron was different in that he mashed pretty much from day 1 from age 21 to 39. Ortiz didn't figure out how to hit until he was 27, his first year in Boston. The first year he lead the league in OPS was his last season, at age 40, when he also lead the league in slugging and doubles for the first time, not to mention intentional walks. Interestingly he led the league in intentional walks 3 times, which just happened to be 3 of his last 4 seasons. His 35-40 is far better than his 32-34 and every bit as good as his 27-31. His 21-26 is not even in the same league.

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Talk about exaggerating. Funny I don't really see anybody in the baseball world saying Ortiz was a cheater.

Wait what?

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2016/09/red_sox_david_ortiz_opens_up_about_2003_positive_p.html

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/david-ortiz-says-his-failed-ped-test-leaked-because-too-many-yankees-tested-positive/

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=4366335

8 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Thanks.  I actually did not recall this 2003 thing. 

My statement of "I don't really see anybody in the baseball world saying Ortiz was a cheater" was a literal statement.  When a certain group of players names come up, you hear PED.  It very much appeared to me that Ortiz is talked about today without that cloud.

25 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Thanks.  I actually did not recall this 2003 thing. 

My statement of "I don't really see anybody in the baseball world saying Ortiz was a cheater" was a literal statement.  When a certain group of players names come up, you hear PED.  It very much appeared to me that Ortiz is talked about today without that cloud.

When he’s on the HOF ballot you will hear about it plenty.