• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols - Career BA tracker - 4/30/19 at .302 (Down .003 since last year this time)

zenmaster

5 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

20 LA athletes more popular than Pujols, in no particular order:

1-5. Entire Laker starting five

6. Trout

7. Weaver

8. Simba

9. Kershaw

10. Seager

11. Turner

12. Jansen

13. Landon Donovan

14. Kopitar

15. LaVar Ball

16. Josh Rosen

17. Sam Darnold

18. Luke Walton

19. Kobe

20. Aaron Donald

Shaq (the cholos still think hes here)

Steph curry

Lebron

Benny the jet from the sandlot

12 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

6. Trout

7. Weaver

8. Simba

9. Kershaw

10. Seager

11. Turner

12. Jansen

13. Landon Donovan

14. Kopitar

15. LaVar Ball

16. Josh Rosen

17. Sam Darnold

18. Luke Walton

19. Kobe

20. Aaron Donald

You forgot Pennington and Nolasco.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

I dont even mind so much him struggling, all players do at some points... he may still right the ship who knows.  it isnt even the payroll as thats basically monopoly money. 
Its the leaving him in the 3 is the thing that makes me want to choke myself out.
Aside from that he just looks miserable, like somethings wrong.. no fire no nothing hes just, there. 

I try to ignore these post but I have to respond.  Yes Pujols sucks right now and I agree it would be best to move him down.  However there is no clear better person to bat 3rd over him. 

Yes I know you guys will say Cron

He has hit well since the all star break.  However he has been so inconsistent that  he had to be demoted to AAA each of the last three seasons.  How do we know we are getting July Cron here on out or April Cron?  I would argue putting him above Pujols but he has certainly not batted consistently enough to justify the constant bitching about Pujols batting ahead of him.

So who?  Oh yes Simmons is having a great season.  Except prior to this year most of you felt Simmons was below average hitter.  If I was managing I probably would bat Simmons third over Pujols.  But outside of this one season.  However since slumps and hot streaks are part of baseball I wouldn't say he is an obviously choice.  He isnt a power hitter (despite his stats this year).  In fact there is a better argument to have him bat second ahead of Trout because his ability to make contact. 

Outside of those two who?  And don't say Calhoun.   As bad as Pujols has been, Calhoun is barely better this year.

My point is that you guys are right that Pujols  probavly is no longer a middle of order power batter.  Problem we don't have any besides Trout who are.  

Want Pujols moved from behind Trout?  Hope we get a Moto bat FA this year.  Thus is one reason I was hoping to steal Stanton.

25 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I try to ignore these post but I have to respond.  Yes Pujols sucks right now and I agree it would be best to move him down.  However there is no clear better person to bat 3rd over him. 

Yes I know you guys will say Cron

He has hit well since the all star break.  However he has been so inconsistent that  he had to be demoted to AAA each of the last three seasons.  How do we know we are getting July Cron here on out or April Cron?  I would argue putting him above Pujols but he has certainly not batted consistently enough to justify the constant bitching about Pujols batting ahead of him.

So who?  Oh yes Simmons is having a great season.  Except prior to this year most of you felt Simmons was below average hitter.  If I was managing I probably would bat Simmons third over Pujols.  But outside of this one season.  However since slumps and hot streaks are part of baseball I wouldn't say he is an obviously choice.  He isnt a power hitter (despite his stats this year).  In fact there is a better argument to have him bat second ahead of Trout because his ability to make contact. 

Outside of those two who?  And don't say Calhoun.   As bad as Pujols has been, Calhoun is barely better this year.

My point is that you guys are right that Pujols  probavly is no longer a middle of order power batter.  Problem we don't have any besides Trout who are.  

Want Pujols moved from behind Trout?  Hope we get a Moto bat FA this year.  Thus is one reason I was hoping to steal Stanton.

I agree that we dont have an obvious cleanup hitter, in that regard you are correct of course.  But in the absence of that the manager should adjust based on who has the hot hand at the moment and take advantage of that and various matchups.  The lack of an obvious option doesnt make doing nothing and letting him continue to hit into DP with Trout on base the right move either. 
Simmons, no  i would prefer him ahead of Trout.  I think i would put Calhoun there followed by Cron.  Ideal, no of course not, but better is better, and at least he can actually run.  

45 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree that we dont have an obvious cleanup hitter, in that regard you are correct of course.  But in the absence of that the manager should adjust based on who has the hot hand at the moment and take advantage of that and various matchups.  The lack of an obvious option doesnt make doing nothing and letting him continue to hit into DP with Trout on base the right move either. 
Simmons, no  i would prefer him ahead of Trout.  I think i would put Calhoun there followed by Cron.  Ideal, no of course not, but better is better, and at least he can actually run.  

Hot hand at the moment doesn't really work I  baseball.   Changing a routine can screw with a players rythm and screwing with chemistry  can screw with the teams long term success.

I am not saying your wrong.  It's just not  a no brain move.  There is a lot of frustration with Pujols and it's justified.   However I don't get the temper tantrums that many on this board have every game because he bats behind Trout 

It was easier to argue there weren't better alternatives to AP earlier in the year than there are currently...    

AP's is currently sporting a .586 OPS the second half..     Valbuena .984, Cron .950, Simmons .852,  Calhoun .746, Cowart .729...     Even guys like Revere .727 and Penning at .670 are outperforming AP...   Even worse, his second half OBP is .242.   Thats 12th best ...

I get the Angels are in a tough situation given they want to respect what he's done throughout his career but the time to honor his past should have ended when they got back into the playoff race.

Winning, not respecting who AP used to be should be the priority now -- and there are at least 5 guys who easily give them a better chance than AP currently.

33 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm hoping 3000 hits will be the trigger that starts his retirement rounds.

I'm hoping he has his Mike Schmidt moment and walks away...  I've always believed his refusing to be anything less than a truly great player added to his legacy.  Schmidt was less than three years removed from an MVP season but he saw the writing on the wall and called it a day.

Mike Schmidt didn't have $133,000,000 left on his contract. That's what is currently left if you add in the personal services contract, and the 3 million bonus for his 3000 hit. Albert's OPS is currently .651. In 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008 & 2009 just his slugging pct. alone was .653 or higher. His .780-.790 OPS's the past 3 years they were painful to watch, but tolerable. Despite all of the evidence that this just isn't going to get any better, I don't think there's any way in hell he walks away before 3000 hits. Looks like the only thing that's going to get him out of the lineup and being penciled in behind Trout every game, would be major injuries.

I wonder if they're keeping him high up in the order to get more PA's and a better chance at those career milestones. What other reason is there, although he's driving in runs at a fairly decent pace. But that's about it. His OBP is terrible, and the batting average? Yikes.

Since May 30th, his high point for OPS this year:

.212/.255/.348

16 BB in 66 games

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Hot hand at the moment doesn't really work I  baseball.   Changing a routine can screw with a players rythm and screwing with chemistry  can screw with the teams long term success.

I am not saying your wrong.  It's just not  a no brain move.  There is a lot of frustration with Pujols and it's justified.   However I don't get the temper tantrums that many on this board have every game because he bats behind Trout 

I agree if were talking about a slump, but i think at this point were passed that dont you? 
I wasnt calling for it in June, July... but i am now. 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree if were talking about a slump, but i think at this point were passed that dont you? 
I wasnt calling for it in June, July... but i am now. 

I have as much confidence with Pujols hitting 250+ with 750 OPS  the rest of the wsy than Cron.  

That's my point.  Yes I think it's regression.  But Pujols could get hot and Cron could slump.  That is why o would was hoping there was a possibility for Stanton.  

And if we don't sign a MOTO bat for next year be prepared for Pujols batting 3rd next year.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

I have as much confidence with Pujols hitting 250+ with 750 OPS  the rest of the wsy than Cron.  

That's my point.  Yes I think it's regression.  But Pujols could get hot and Cron could slump.  That is why o would was hoping there was a possibility for Stanton.  

And if we don't sign a MOTO bat for next year be prepared for Pujols batting 3rd next year.

...and if Scioscia is extended, which I fully expect to happen, be prepared for two or three more years in that spot.

27 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

...and if Scioscia is extended, which I fully expect to happen, be prepared for two or three more years in that spot.

Give Scioscia a better option and he would probably move him down.  And please don't throw Cron or Simmons at me.  I already discussed those two options and don't want to repeat myself.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

I wonder if they're keeping him high up in the order to get more PA's and a better chance at those career milestones. What other reason is there, although he's driving in runs at a fairly decent pace. But that's about it. His OBP is terrible, and the batting average? Yikes.

Since May 30th, his high point for OPS this year:

.212/.255/.348

16 BB in 66 games

Thats my conspiracy theory slash hope. Its the only thing that makes sense.

It's amazing how fast one's career batting average can drop with a season like this. I think Pujols' career average dropped something like 4 points this year alone. By this team next year, he could be banging on the door of .300, which he of course can't climb back over once he falls beneath.

19 hours ago, yk9001 said:

6. Trout

7. Weaver

8. Simba

9. Kershaw

10. Seager

11. Turner

12. Jansen

13. Landon Donovan

14. Kopitar

15. LaVar Ball

16. Josh Rosen

17. Sam Darnold

18. Luke Walton

19. Kobe

20. Aaron Donald

The top 20 players in the Mexican League, whoever they are, would fall in front of Albert as well.

19 hours ago, stormngt said:

Give Scioscia a better option and he would probably move him down.  And please don't throw Cron or Simmons at me.  I already discussed those two options and don't want to repeat myself.

Is Pujols really the best #3 spot option though?   How often has he put together a stretch of more than 3-4 games of solid hitting so far in 2017?

Update:  I do notice that he has a hit in 9 of his past 10 games, with a .280 BA, 2 doubles, 2 HRs, 11 rbis.   That increased his OPS from .646 to .661.   I hope he is FINALLY hitting like he is supposed to be!

On 8/22/2017 at 9:14 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Why does he get away from using RF so much?   What makes him still so pull happy?   Stubbornness?   Failure to understand his current limitations?

45 years old guys have to start the bat earlier to get it to the zone. He has to try to pull to get any bat speed. I do agree that he would be better not trying to pull everything. He seems to have done a better job of using the whole field lately.

12 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

45 years old guys have to start the bat earlier to get it to the zone. He has to try to pull to get any bat speed. I do agree that he would be better not trying to pull everything. He seems to have done a better job of using the whole field lately.

He did use CF really well last night, blasting a double and a 3-run HR.

Where has that been?