• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

20 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Don't recognize him without the pine tar.

mhay0qqdOPwh5bSDgLJNAKQ.jpg

OK...well how much do you really remember about that game?

Without looking it up, now...

Who was pitching?

Who was the opposing manager who pointed out the pine tar? 

Who was the home plate umpire?

and most trivial trivia of all...who wound up with the bat during the fracas? 

(he ran off with it and tried to hide it in the Royals locker room but the umpires finally wound up with it) 

From a June 2013 SI article that included interviews with the main characters ..

Brinkman: George wanted to kill Tim. He came running out, and I got a pretty good (choke) hold on him and kept him from getting to Tim. There was no time for thinking. It was just a reaction on my part.''

Gossage: I have never seen anyone as mad as George Brett on that day.

Tim McClelland (home plate umpire): We had to decide on the letter of the rule. We can't decide between good and bad rules. A rule is a rule. I knew we were interpreting the rules the right way.

Gaylord Perry, being the man of foreign substance that he is, got the bat and took it out of my hands. He threw it to Rocky Colavito. I went to grab it from Rocky, and he held it up over his head like he was going to hit me with it.

Gaylord Perry (Royals pitcher, 1983): It's something that had to be done. We had to take control of the evidence.

McClelland: We had to go get the bat. The players were trying to take it into the clubhouse. A security officer got it for us, and Joe locked it in the umpires' dressing room.

The story goes on...ejections, protests, rule changes and replaying the game 25 days later from the point of the "incident"

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/07/22/pine-tar-game-brett-gossage-royals-yankees

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Abner Doubleday in that pic?

Informal baseball game in an American fort during the Civil War?

Earliest known photo of a baseball game, from 1862. Abner's not there, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/upshot/the-national-pastime-amid-a-national-crisis.html?rref=upshot&smid=tw-upshotnyt&_r=0

On 12/6/2016 at 10:00 PM, Homebrewer said:

The plate umpire was 6 ft 6 Tim McClelland. He umpired in the majors until 2015 ...32 years..

mcclellandbrett022015.jpg

The umpire with the hold on Brett is Joe Brinkman, the crew chief who was at 2nd base.

For several seasons in the early 1980's, the Royals and Joe Brinkman's crew had issues. After one game, Joe Brinkman told Royals' manager Dick Howser "You couldn't manage a cat house on an army base." UPI, June 25, 1984

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Opening Day, 1947. Who are the two players? Both pitchers.

13724_a-1.jpg

On the left is on of the all time great stories in baseball, Bobo Newsom and on the right Spud Chandler, opening day 1942.  

Bobo had the distinction of playing in 5 different decades pitching to Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle .

He started his career in the independents in 1928, even played for the Los Angeles Angels in 1932 with Jimmy Reese. In total between the independents and major leagues  he played for 23 teams.

He even pitched a complete game with a broken kneecap, suffering the injury on a line drive come backer on opening day. 

He was the first player to refer to himself in the first person. "When 'ole Bobo is on the mound you can chalk up a win" . He is one of only a couple pitchers with over 200 wins but more career losses. 

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Blarg got Bobo Newsom right, but the other guy is Allie Reynolds.

Opening Day 1947 in Washington. President Truman.

Newsom and Reynolds were the starting pitchers that day. Yankees won 7-0.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WS1/WS1194704180.shtml

Hah, got the year wrong, Bobo didn't pitch opening day for the Senators in 1942 vs the Yankees, it was game 2 but Spud looks damn close to Reynolds. Yankees won that game as well.

spud.jpg