• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

" Colavito made his last years in Cleveland worthwhile, making the All-Star team in 1965 and 1966 and placing fifth in the 1965 MVP vote after leading the league with 108 RBI and 93 walks while finishing among the AL's top five in home runs, hits and runs, as well as playing without an error in the outfield."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Colavito

That's bad on my part, since I got Kaline and Cash but didn't recognize my first real baseball idol, Rocky Colavito.

I was born outside Cleveland (Akron) and Rocky was the big slugger for Cleveland when I first got interested in baseball.

Rocky Colavito, "Sudden Sam" McDowell, Vic Davalillo (whom I modeled my little league swing after..)

It was about that time when my Dad came home and told us we were moving to California..

sam-mcdowelljpg-d64408b06ccd3db8_large.j
"Most managers think pitchers are dumb because we like to do our own thing. Yet we couldn't be too dumb because every year they're changing the rules to make life easier for the hitters." - Sam McDowell in The Gigantic Book of Baseball Quotations (Wayne Stewart, Skyhorse Publishing, 10/17/2007, Page 230)

ML Strikeout leader 5 times..

42 minutes ago, makepeac said:

" Colavito made his last years in Cleveland worthwhile, making the All-Star team in 1965 and 1966 and placing fifth in the 1965 MVP vote after leading the league with 108 RBI and 93 walks while finishing among the AL's top five in home runs, hits and runs, as well as playing without an error in the outfield."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Colavito

Admittedly, I underestimated his 1965-1966 seasons.   He did benefit from both hitting friendly stadiums in Cleveland and Detroit. 

Vic Davalillo as an Angel

220px-Vic_Davalillo_1968.JPG

Davalillo had dipped to a .239 average on June 15, 1968 when, the Indians traded him to the California Angels for former All-Star Jimmie Hall.[8] He rebounded to lead the Angels with a .298 batting average after the trade, finishing the season with a .277 average overall, the sixth highest average in the American League.[1] In an era dominated by pitching, Yastrzemski was the only player in the American League to hit for an average higher than .300 in 1968.[21]

At the age of 41 in 1978, Davalillo hit for a .312 average as a pinch hitter for the Dodgers as they once again claimed the National League pennant before, losing to the New York Yankees for a second consecutive year in the 1978 World Series.[1][41] Davalillo finished out his major league career as a utility player and pinch hitter for the Dodgers.

For the last four seasons of his career, he was the oldest player in the National League until retiring at the end of the 1980 season at the age of 43.[1] Davalillo returned to play in the Mexican League well into his late 40s.[42]

I moved to the Detroit area as a school kid during the '65 season and people still missed Rocky two years after the Tigers traded him to KC who then traded him back to the Indians. 

But luckily for me they had my boyhood idol Al Kaline, Cash, plus young up and comers McLain, Lolich, Freehan, Horton, Northrup, Stanley and McAuliffe. Quite the powerhouse team to watch in the latter part of the '60s.