• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Milt Pappas, who had a perfect game in 1972 at Wrigley Field after striking out looking the 27th batter, but the ump (anti-Eric Gregg) called it ball four.   He still got the no-no though.    

Yep...the ump was Bruce Froemming and the count was 3-2 with two outs in the 9th..I know some Cub fans who never forgave him, one in particular who was of Greek heritage. There haven't been a lot of Grecians in MLB history. 

The chair is on the wall in the 'Mall of America' in Minnesota. The Mall is loacted on the site of the old  Metropolitan Stadium where the Twins once played. The chair hangs on the wall at the exact location of the longest homer Harmon Killebrew ever hit at the stadium. I saw it several years ago when I visited family in Minnesota. There is also a home plate located somewhere in the Mall at the exact location of old Metropolitan Stadium's home plate, but I never did find that.

39 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

The chair is on the wall in the 'Mall of America' in Minnesota. The Mall is loacted on the site of the old  Metropolitan Stadium where the Twins once played. The chair hangs on the wall at the exact location of the longest homer Harmon Killebrew ever hit at the stadium. I saw it several years ago when I visited family in Minnesota. There is also a home plate located somewhere in the Mall at the exact location of old Metropolitan Stadium's home plate, but I never did find that.

Cool info, thanks!

13 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Pappas was part of one of the worst trades ever... Reds got hosed when they thought Frank Robinson was getting old.

Yep, that trade was up there with:

Brock for Ernie Broglio

Bagwell for Larry Andersen

Smoltz for Doyle Alexander

Cabrera for 4-5 minor leaguers, of which only two ever did much as MLB players (Miller and Maybin) and that was for other teams.

Who's the left-hander next to Koufax?

He burst on the scene in September, 1954, throwing two complete game shutouts in his first two major league appearances. His 15 strikeouts set a new record for most K's in a pitcher's first career start. Then in spring training of 1955, he injured his shoulder and was never the same. His last appearance was Game 6 of the World Series that year, in which he gave up five runs in the first inning.

these-dodger-hurlers-are-believed-to-be-

19 hours ago, fanfromday1 said:

Nice job!

That is a cool tribute. That Metropolitan Stadium was one ugly stadium. Looked odd for both football and baseball. I guess they built it in stages without ever having a master plan.

Image result for metropolitan stadium minnesota

2 hours ago, NJHalo said:

Nice job!

That is a cool tribute. That Metropolitan Stadium was one ugly stadium. Looked odd for both football and baseball. I guess they built it in stages without ever having a master plan.

That is one funky stadium, one that I would have loved to visit.

Both football teams stayed on one side of the field.

Here's the thing.. on other pics, the stands look so far away from the football field.

metro365.jpg

Metropolitan Stadium was first built as a minor league stadium in 1956.   Then the Senators moved into it in 1961, the same year the Vikings became an expansion NFL franchise.

iirc, the capacity was about 15,000-20,000 before the 1961 expansion.   It was weird having just the one level of seats down the LF line even through the 1970s.