• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

50 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One of the factors, which has been widely admitted around the Angels (Scioscia, Baylor, Hansen) is that Pujols is now expanding his zone. He is taking it upon himself to swing and try to do damage, rather than just taking walks and leaving it to the next guy. 

Okay Epp, get some hitting help in here this off-season!   Just DO it! 

21 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

http://atmlb.com/2w5lK4P

This says Pujols should be hitting .257, based on the quality of his contact. 

I imagine the discrepancy is because he's slow and loses some hits to the shift. 

I dont get the point.  So bad luck or shift. . .things out of his control.

I thought we were talking about things that might be in his control to be more productive.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Looks like Pujols is swinging at 34.4% of all balls outside the strike zone.

That is twice the rate he had in some of his prime years in St. Louis.

For comparison sake, Bonds his last few years?

12.5%, 11.4%, 13.2%, 11.9%

Pujols may have zero chance of being an elite offensive player going forward but his only chance at being acceptably productive is to stop this shit of swinging at crap.

Is he expanding the zone due to declining skills or due to a chase for s home run record.  You can't hit home runs if you take walks. 

56 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I thought we were talking about things that might be in his control to be more productive.

The point is that, if Scioscia says stuff like, "he's still hitting the ball hard, still having good ABs," that's what he's talking about. 

17 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The point is that, if Scioscia says stuff like, "he's still hitting the ball hard, still having good ABs," that's what he's talking about. 

Respectfully I never inquired about what MS is talking about.  I know he is full of shit on this subject so I ignore him.

What he says is 100% irrelevant

2 hours ago, Jobu said:

I'm pretty sure Doc has mentioned this before, but if your bat speed is down you have to make the decision to swing earlier, giving you less time to evaluate if it's actually in the zone.

Bonds had the ability to be patient because he still had great bat speed.

It's hard to wait on pitches to give yourself more time when you are trying to hook balls around the left field foul pole.

2 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Scioscia will stick with a veteran even if his wheels fall off,  Bobby Abreu is a great example. The GM had to release Abreu or Scioscia may have never given Trout a chance to play.

Remember when he went from that rookie Petit and handed the ball to that crafty veteran Middleton last week.  

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Albert is getting killed by the shift because he refuses to do anything other than hit into it.

His bat speed is gone so not only is it difficult for him to catch up to pitches, but he also doesn't hit them quite as far. Anaheim is a bigger park, especially to right field, than St. Louis. He can't hit the ball out the other way, so his only chance is to try and pull pitches. In order to pull pitches he needs to start early, which is made worse by his slowed bat speed. The result is that he is guessing just about all of the time.

This is anecdotal, and one could probably look it up, but he seems to still do a lot of damage on curve balls, and my guess is its because they give him more time to react, which negates a lot of his bat speed issues.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One of the factors, which has been widely admitted around the Angels (Scioscia, Baylor, Hansen) is that Pujols is now expanding his zone. He is taking it upon himself to swing and try to do damage, rather than just taking walks and leaving it to the next guy. 

Considering due to his foot issues he is a guaranteed force out anywhere! And with CJ's horrible pitch recognition and lack of adjustments during an at bat. I would walk AP#5 and throw low and away fastballs and sliders to CJ all day for double plays!!! 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I imagine the discrepancy is because he's slow and loses some hits to the shift. 

Slow & Some?????? bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

That's like saying Jenna Jameson has taken a few too many caulk in her life time!

You guys don't need me to tell you what the Angels should do or what I think they should do. 

All I do is try to explain to you what they think, based on my conversations with them. I spent a half hour in Scioscia's office in Seattle talking about Pujols.

If you disagree, that's OK. You aren't disagreeing with me, though. You're disagreeing with them. 

If you don't care what they think, that's OK too. 

13 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You guys don't need me to tell you what the Angels should do or what I think they should do. 

All I do is try to explain to you what they think, based on my conversations with them. I spent a half hour in Scioscia's office in Seattle talking about Pujols.

If you disagree, that's OK. You aren't disagreeing with me, though. You're disagreeing with them. 

Most of us here have followed the team for decades. We realized long ago that listening to Mike Scoscia is like listening to Baghdad Bob.  Mike may be willfully obtuse , or batshit crazy, I don't know which one. But the words that come out of his mouth are utterly useless.

This Albert Pujols stuff makes me appreciate the Vladimir Guerrero days even more, when the biggest worry was that Vlad had too many 1st pitch outs or finding a Bat to hit behind Vlad......if only Trout had been born in 1983 he would have arrived sooner to bat in front of Vlad & the Angels may have had several more World Series championships.

Imagine if you combined the 2009 Angels lineup with the 2017 Angels lineup: Figgins 3B, Aybar 2B, Trout CF, Morales 1B, Hunter RF, Abreu LF, Napoli C, Simmons SS, Kendrick DH with Vlad, Pujols, Izturis & Rivera on the bench.

19 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

.257 is still terrible.  The Pujols contract is one of the worst ever. I don't know the exact math but Arte got a horrible return on his investment. Combine that with Scioscia or Pujols or both refusing to hit lower in the line-up and you have an anti winning combo. 

15 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Most of us appreciate your participation on the forum Jeff.  Thanks for the insight.  Insight, that is far more relevant then the hot takes everyone on here has.  And objectively.  What the manager of the team says does matter.  I mean, he draws up the line up card.  What a dumb comment that was.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

22 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

you'd think there would be someone or a team of someones that would tell him what a horrible idea that is.  

this team would be completely different had he declined as the player he was as opposed to this guy he's become.  

22 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I don't know about you guys but this doesn't scream selfless and team first to me

I disagree.  It's arrogant but I think he believes he's helping the team.