• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in on Turner!?!?!?!?!

Erstad Grit

I do wonder if perhaps the news of the Dodgers debt issue was already circulating around MLB front offices before it became public, and could actually add some credence to Vassegh's report of the Angels being interested in Turner. If Turner wants to stay in SoCal but the Dodgers are going to have a hard time affording him, there may actually be some weight to it, and that could be something Vassegh may have been aware of.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Every team, in wvery sport, holds press conferences when big names are signed...its not even because they are bragging, but because rhe media wants to cover it. IE, "press conference".

Youre confusing overconfidence with a team realizing they were close and adding pieces to put them over the top. they were the wrong pieces. and in their defense, aside from wells and gmj, i dont think anyone out there was predicting hamilton to collapse, much less pujols to. and wilson leaving arlington for here was a pretty safe bet. no one had a crystal ball saying his elbow would die and his vag would itch.

We were in second place in 2011. We signed Albert and CJ to improve the team and we dropped to 3rd place. We signed Hamilton and the next season and we stayed in 3rd place. Arte has increased his payroll from $121M -  $165M (2011-2016) and people are on his ass to sign more free agents. I see people here mentioning Chapman when Arte has already committed a lot of money to Huston Street. Laughable that anyone would expect Arte to dish out another $100M+ contract with the tract record of the current Angels free agent signings.

I don't think any of us expect him to sign a $100 million contract.  Then again I guess Chapman could make that.  I think I predicted about $85 million.  Oh and signing someone to replace another high paid player isn't unprecedented for Arte.  He signed your guy Hunter one year into GMjr's five year deal.  Street has one year left at about $10 million.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don't think any of us expect him to sign a $100 million contract.  Then again I guess Chapman could make that.  I think I predicted about $85 million.  Oh and signing someone to replace another high paid player isn't unprecedented for Arte.  He signed your guy Hunter one year into GMjr's five year deal.  Street has one year left at about $10 million.  

Well he certainly didn't sign anyone to replace Hamilton last season even though there were at least 4 options to do so. 

I think Arte is getting a little more cautious with free agents. You can't blame him for that. 

No I don't blame him at all, but it doesn't mean don't sign premiere closers if that's one of the teams biggest needs.  It also shouldn't mean you can't afford a guy like Turner.  If you want to stay away from the $125-200 million guys, easy to understand.  But to stay away from $80 million guys, that is something entirely different.  That's what number 3-4 starters go for in free agency. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No I don't blame him at all, but it doesn't mean don't sign premiere closers if that's one of the teams biggest needs.  It also shouldn't mean you can't afford a guy like Turner.  If you want to stay away from the $125-200 million guys, easy to understand.  But to stay away from $80 million guys, that is something entirely different.  That's what number 3-4 starters go for in free agency. 

Well I'm predicting that we won't sign Chapman, Turner or Utley. Let's see if I'm right. 

The guy has had three 4.0 WAR seasons in a row at 3B for the Dodgers. He is not a one year wonder. I'd be hesitant to give him 5 years the money is better spent on a four year pact maybe with an option year. I expect he can have 3-4 more years as he has over the past few, and honestly that's a good investment.

Utley is a decent investment on a 1-2 year deal. 

Escobar is unlikely to be resigned after next year, due to his attitude and age.

I don't see a closer because Street is due so much money. If he wasn't there, then I could see us going for a closer. As it is, they are hoping Cam turns into that guy, but if not they will have their eye on Miller when he is a FA. 

4 hours ago, CALZONE said:

We were in second place in 2011. We signed Albert and CJ to improve the team and we dropped to 3rd place. We signed Hamilton and the next season and we stayed in 3rd place. Arte has increased his payroll from $121M -  $165M (2011-2016) and people are on his ass to sign more free agents. I see people here mentioning Chapman when Arte has already committed a lot of money to Huston Street. Laughable that anyone would expect Arte to dish out another $100M+ contract with the tract record of the current Angels free agent signings.

Signing those guys had less to do with how the Angels finished than did the failure to add to the pen and fix the areas that WERE broken.   Spending money in baseball isn't a bad thing, spending it foolishly is.  

The Angels spent foolishly, that was the problem.  

All that being said -- I don't expect the Angels to be players in FA this year, and truthfully, I'd rather they wait another year.  Id like to see them attack the draft the way they did and spend every possible dollar in that venue.

The Angels were 10 GB in 2011, yes they were in 2nd place, but they were only 5 games back in 2012, and yes they dropped to third, but that had more to do with another teams' improvement, than our record. The A's surged in 2012 and 2013. If they had promoted Trout out of ST, likely would've competed. They had the best record in baseball for the time after Trout was promoted. They had a 3 game lead. Focusing on what place they finished unless it was first is pointless.

They slumped in 2013, then had the best record in the majors in 2014. 

Let's hope history repeats itself.

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Signing those guys had less to do with how the Angels finished than did the failure to add to the pen and fix the areas that WERE broken.   Spending money in baseball isn't a bad thing, spending it foolishly is.  

The Angels spent foolishly, that was the problem.  

All that being said -- I don't expect the Angels to be players in FA this year, and truthfully, I'd rather they wait another year.  Id like to see them attack the draft the way they did and spend every possible dollar in that venue.

I agree with you 100%. I think Eppler is going to be patient and strike fast when he sees an opportunity to improve the organization long term. 

Going back in time, Wilson and Hamilton was millions wasted and the second half of Pujols' deal won't be pretty. 

To me it's all about committing to build a long term sustainable team around Trout. We need to let Eppler do it his way. Do we really need the Utley's of the world or should we allow Cowart to develop. Either way we are not in a position to win it all in 2017.

18 hours ago, CALZONE said:

I agree with you 100%. I think Eppler is going to be patient and strike fast when he sees an opportunity to improve the organization long term. 

Going back in time, Wilson and Hamilton was millions wasted and the second half of Pujols' deal won't be pretty. 

To me it's all about committing to build a long term sustainable team around Trout. We need to let Eppler do it his way. Do we really need the Utley's of the world or should we allow Cowart to develop. Either way we are not in a position to win it all in 2017.

I sincerely believe by the time the 2017 season starts we will have a team strong enough to effectively compete. Will it be a really strong foundation? Probably not but it will be enough to give the A.L. West a run for its money. 2018 should be even better.

23 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Trade for Harrison, sign Turner and get a legit 4th outfielder and offensively I think we're decent enough to compete 

We'd be taking on quite a bit of salary. Maybe $25m-$35m in AAV. Without touching pitching. Pretty much have to move Escobar and maybe Street without eating any money in their deals or blow past whatever the lux tax threshold is to make that work. 

18 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Trade for Harrison, sign Turner and get a legit 4th outfielder and offensively I think we're decent enough to compete 

I wouldn't mind that at all and then sign either Revere/Coco..... That would give you plenty of speed and OF depth/4th OF off the bench! I would still like another Lefthanded power bat in the middle of the lineup though.... around 5th/7th in the order though..Sign a Moss and then deal Escobar & a Suspect for an SP. That lineup might get you 90+ wins if you can pitch without falling apart!

1. 2B - Harrison

2. RF - Calhoun

3. CF - Trout

4. DH - AP#5

5. 3B - Turner

6. 1B - Moss/Cron

7. SS - Simmons

8. C - Perez/Bandy

9. LF - Maybin

Bench

Revere/Coco, Moss/Cron Pennington, Marte, Perez/Bandy, Cowart

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We'd be taking on quite a bit of salary. Maybe $25m-$35m in AAV. Without touching pitching. Pretty much have to move Escobar and maybe Street without eating any money in their deals or blow past whatever the lux tax threshold is to make that work. 

Honestly if this team wants to legitimately compete this season they're going to have to go over the luxury tax, there's really no way around it. This whole flinging crap against the wall and hoping it sticks CLEARLY isn't working. I'm tired of seeing us waste Trout's career 

35 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I could get behind this, they'd have to add a reliever or two to make me more comfortable, though. 

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

There should be a rise in the luxury tax threshold with the new CBA. I could see Arte willing to pass the threshold for one year (as long as they don't go waaaay over) since it'll be easy to get back underneath next year with Hamilton, Nolasco, Street, Maybin, Escobar, Chavez, Pennington, and Bailey off the books. They paid the tax threshold penalty back in 2004 after they signed Vlad, Colon, Escobar, and Guillen, although it was baaaarely over the threshold, but I could see Arte doing something similar. 

We gotta see what the new threshold will be, though. 

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Honestly if this team wants to legitimately compete this season they're going to have to go over the luxury tax, there's really no way around it. This whole flinging crap against the wall and hoping it sticks CLEARLY isn't working. I'm tired of seeing us waste Trout's career 

We don't need to cross the luxury tax to compete. I love Turner and Harrison, but both of them and Escobar on the same team is excessive and I don't think Escobar is that easy to deal away, or it would have happened by now. 

I would be disappointed if we didn't at least but up a remaining FA reliever or starter. Think we need to prioritize getting at least one of those before we do too much more offensively. 

I do agree that going over the tax line, especially for one year, is very doable and I don't think they would hesitate to do it, but I don't see much available in FA to make it worth that yet.

4 hours ago, ettin said:

I sincerely believe by the time the 2017 season starts we will have a team strong enough to effectively compete. Will it be a really strong foundation? Probably not but it will be enough to give the A.L. West a run for its money. 2018 should be even better.

Well Robert I know that you're a positive thinker and that we all would like to see the team be competitive again. A few issues that only 2018 can fix is the return of a couple of starting pitchers, a stronger free agent market plus Hamilton coming off the books. 

I believe Eppler is going to keep his gun in his holster for at least one more season (2017). Additionally I believe that Houston and Seattle are also on the rise so that alone will make it tougher for us to win the AL West. 

One more thing that I still believe is one of the core problems is Mike Scioscia. Those slow starts out of the gate and the "let's turn the page" games add up quickly. We need a new manager that will give the players new motivation with accountability. It's crazy that he allows veteran players to go slumping for weeks without sitting them. Those slumps end up racking up the loses and doesn't allow opportunities for others to step up. Sosh looks worn out and appears to be just finishing his contractual obligation. He's not a bad person but he's had a lot of talent come through since 2010 and has very little to show for it. Someone else needs to steer the ship. 

With a solid youth movement and smart maneuvers through the draft, trades and the free agent market this team could be very competitive "league wise" by 2019.

3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

The problem is that leaves us with no room to address the pitching which is the teams biggest issue. We need at least 2 more solid relievers and one more solid starter to have any chance of competing next year

On 11/27/2016 at 9:00 PM, Stradling said:

And how bout you take your bitching somewhere else.  

I love it when mods tell members to take a hike from the website, simply for expressing their opinions. It's just so darn mature and professional.

Then, they defend all the other puerile behavior on this board with "hey, man, it's the internet".