• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in on Turner!?!?!?!?!

Erstad Grit

They could've not exercised Escobar's option. They clearly like him more than the majority of Angelswin.com posters.

Cowart's defense at 3rd is stellar, so if they wanted a defense only option, they'd just play him. And pay him the league minimum. I hope they sign Turner and move Escobar to 2nd, where he was preparing to play two years ago for the Nats, and then again last year for the Nats before he was traded.

I know they haven't said this is the plan, but plans change when Free agents are signed.

50 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They could've not exercised Escobar's option. They clearly like him more than the majority of Angelswin.com posters.

Cowart's defense at 3rd is stellar, so if they wanted a defense only option, they'd just play him. And pay him the league minimum. I hope they sign Turner and move Escobar to 2nd, where he was preparing to play two years ago for the Nats, and then again last year for the Nats before he was traded.

I know they haven't said this is the plan, but plans change when Free agents are signed.

what?

General comment:

Escobar is the current 3B on the depth chart, but I believe there is no good reason to have that in anything other than light pencil.  He just, flat out, is not a high enough impact player to be THE plan at 3B at this point.  The team needs to improve, and while there are obvious holes like 2B, that does not for one second make me not see that 3B is at best a one year bandaid right now.  And it is a dirty used bandaid that smells like toejam.

If the team wants to get better, 3B should be in play.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

General comment:

Escobar is the current 3B on the depth chart, but I believe there is no good reason to have that in anything other than light pencil.  He just, flat out, is not a high enough impact player to be THE plan at 3B at this point.  The team needs to improve, and while there are obvious holes like 2B, that does not for one second make me not see that 3B is at best a one year bandaid right now.  And it is a dirty used bandaid that smells like toejam.

If the team wants to get better, 3B should be in play.

totally agree, if they find an opportunity to get better there, they should at least consider it. 

I hate watching Escobar play. 

4 hours ago, ukyah said:

what?

Escobar was supposed to play 2B both in 2015 before the Nationals had injuries which pushed him to 3rd and then again in 2016, before the Angels acquired him, the Nats planned on him playing 2nd. They had other players at 3rd and at short. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

With none of the big FAs signing yet, any "collusion" thoughts?

Or teams are just being cautious?

Or focusing on the FA class two years from now?

Nah, think the CBA held things up quite a bit more than was publicized. Also, this class is so thin, there is a lot more momentum hedging on when Player X signs. 

There's also so few 'big spending' teams willing to go in, it enhances that 'wait for Player X' factor to sign even more. 

I think once Chapman signs a lot more will start happening. His choice will make a huge difference in where Jansen signs, and those two signing will make a huge difference on where NYY, WAS, CHI, and LAD spend money. They're all focusing pretty intently on the same guys.

Also think we are going to see teams be a lot more cautious with big contracts. I believe the tensions that surfaced during the CBA show that there's a silent uneasiness regarding player salaries still, but neither side wants to disrupt the gravy train enough right now to address the underlying issues. There will still be mega-deals here and there like the Pujols, ARod, Price, etc. deals, but I think the frequency of Crawford, Werth, and Heyward type guys getting those contracts is going to start dwindling. Think we will see more emphasis on higher AAVs and shorter lengths - 4/$110m like Cespedes.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I could be crazy, but i think its been a theme for a few years now. the winter meetings the last few years havent really been too crazy

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Nah, think the CBA held things up quite a bit more than was publicized. Also, this class is so thin, there is a lot more momentum hedging on when Player X signs. 

There's also so few 'big spending' teams willing to go in, it enhances that 'wait for Player X' factor to sign even more. 

I think once Chapman signs a lot more will start happening. His choice will make a huge difference in where Jansen signs, and those two signing will make a huge difference on where NYY, WAS, CHI, and LAD spend money. They're all focusing pretty intently on the same guys.

Also think we are going to see teams be a lot more cautious with big contracts. I believe the tensions that surfaced during the CBA show that there's a silent uneasiness regarding player salaries still, but neither side wants to disrupt the gravy train enough right now to address the underlying issues. There will still be mega-deals here and there like the Pujols, ARod, Price, etc. deals, but I think the frequency of Crawford, Werth, and Heyward type guys getting those contracts is going to start dwindling. Think we will see more emphasis on higher AAVs and shorter lengths - 4/$110m like Cespedes.

and then someone pays Desmond 70mil for 5 years.  I think the new CBA rules will actually allow for more middle ground signings that were previously squashed by the potential loss of a pick.  Which makes the Desmond signing even more odd.  Market momentum also seems to reign as well.  This year it's trades because the white sox are starting over.  Last year it was pitching.  

Player salaries are publicized but owner salaries and incomes are not.  They are making money hand over fist.  If there was any semblance that the owners weren't pocketing serious cash, it would have been addressed.  It was insanely one sided 30 years ago.  Now both sides are making money, but the owners are still printing it.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Now both sides are making money, but the owners are still printing it.  

good for them

this is why when people post here saying things like: " blah,blah,blah... and they're a small market team. imagine if (insert team/owner's name) had the payroll ______ has. "

they have the money.  they just choose not to spend it. yeah, I'm looking at you Oakland. 

21 hours ago, Lou said:

good for them

this is why when people post here saying things like: " blah,blah,blah... and they're a small market team. imagine if (insert team/owner's name) had the payroll ______ has. "

they have the money.  they just choose not to spend it. yeah, I'm looking at you Oakland. 

But Lou, if they spend the money, they may not make it back!

22 hours ago, Lou said:

good for them

Always found it funny the richest owner in the AL West has the lowest payroll.

On 12/7/2016 at 4:13 PM, Angel Oracle said:

While the CBA held things up I saw today Justin Turner is at Jansen's wedding in the Bahamas (I think that was the location) so they probably won't sign till after the weekend Jansen could be longer if he's on his honeymoon 

3 minutes ago, Champions2002 said:

While the CBA held things up I saw today Justin Turner is at Jansen's wedding in the Bahamas (I think that was the location) so they probably won't sign till after the weekend Jansen could be longer if he's on his honeymoon 

This could also hold up Turner if the Dodgers are picking between one or the other with signing Hill they probably won't bring back both Jansen and Turner

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

if it's 4 years 64 mil as reported that's a really great contract for the Doyers.

Still can't believe we gave Hambone 5 / 125

Well in hindsight yeah, but remember Hamilton was a former MVP and had more success in the big leagues than Turner. 

I'm surprised the Angels didn't go hard after Turner considering the 2018 FA 3B crop (Moustakas, Escobar, Kang, Reyes, Flaherty, Frazier, Brignac and Valencia) is underwhelming and that the Angels have somewhere in the range of $54M coming off the books (yes, there will be raises to Trout, Richards, Calhoun...etc.) after 2017.

And they'll have to replace their LF and 2B too.

Cowart and Marte in 2018 at 3B????