• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in on Turner!?!?!?!?!

Erstad Grit

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we could move Cron and pick up an athletic prospect that is either a middle infielder or outfielder or even a projectable starter then it would free up a spot for a guy like Turner or Escobar going forward.  

Yup. We're still really thin on IFs on the farm. Turner would help shore up 3B/1B for the immediate future. 

Yes, arguably Cron and Marte can do that as well, but given that we have nothing really to trade, acquiring someone that gives us a depth of corner infield power may be the only way we find something expendable of value to trade.

I can't see how Marte or Cron would be in high demand with the flood of 1B/DH types out there though. That's why I imagine it'd be more of a down the line thing. 

17: 3B Escobar, SS Simmons, 2B Turner, 1B Cron, DH Pujols, Bench Marte - Escobar possibly dealt late in year
18: 3B Turner, SS Simmons, 2B Fletcher??, 1B Cron, DH Pujols, Bench Marte - Cron possibly dealt in offseason
19: 3B Marte, SS Simmons, 2B Fletcher??, 1B Turner, DH Pujols, Bench Thaiss - Marte/Turner could switch positions too

And so on...if Turner can still manage 3B in 19-21, you can keep Marte at 1B or move him and slot Thaiss in there.

The Dodgers' Justin Turner is facing a dwindling free-agent market too

Plus, the latest on Jose Bautista, Kenley Jansen and more in Ken Rosenthal's latest notes.

Justin Turner

(Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — For all the talk of free-agent first baseman Edwin Encarnacion’s dwindling market, what about third baseman Justin Turner’s?

The Dodgers want to keep Turner. He wants to stay in Los Angeles. But it will be interesting to see how his lack of evident options influences the course of the negotiations.

The caveat is the same as it is with Encarnacion: We don’t know everything that is happening. Teams looking to upgrade at third are interested in Turner, sources say; other clubs might try to trade their incumbent third baseman to clear a spot.

But remember the prospect of the Giants competing with the Dodgers for Turner? It’s doubtful, considering that Eduardo Nunez can play third base and the Giants just signed free-agent closer Mark Melancon to a four-year, $62 million contract.

The Cardinals, because Turner received a qualifying offer, would need to sacrifice the No. 19 pick in the draft and trade Jhonny Peralta to clear third base.

The Braves, Brewers and Reds all hold protected picks, and all ranked in the bottom seven in OPS at third. But it’s difficult to imagine any of those clubs spending big on a third baseman while in various stages of rebuilding.

Barring a surprise — and let’s face it, free agency always is full of surprises — the best guess is that Turner will stay with the Dodgers on a good deal, but perhaps a lesser one than he envisioned.

Just now, CanadianHalo said:

The names we've seen so far attached to the Angels are Stephen Drew and Chase Utley. Unless Turner wants to play for free we can rule out the possibility of him becoming an Angel.

Why so negative? I understand that last year the Angels didn't sign anyone of note, but it's not like we don't sign free agents. The projected budget allows for at least one free agent acquisition. They are nowhere near the luxury tax threshold. 

Turner is likely to go back to the Dogs, but I think they will address their closer situation first. They are the SoCal team with the reported budget problem, having way too much money tied up in payroll. Still, the Angels at least have a shot at Turner if they desired to get into a bidding war with the Dodgers.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Why so negative? I understand that last year the Angels didn't sign anyone of note, but it's not like we don't sign free agents. The projected budget allows for at least one free agent acquisition. They are nowhere near the luxury tax threshold. 

Turner is likely to go back to the Dogs, but I think they will address their closer situation first. They are the SoCal team with the reported budget problem, having way too much money tied up in payroll. Still, the Angels at least have a shot at Turner if they desired to get into a bidding war with the Dodgers.

Because I so badly want to see this organization make a push to compete right now. Guys like Drew and Utley aren't going to help, to me that's just a sign that we're killing another year. 

I always thought Arte would be willing to spend his way out of the mess he created. Instead he's shown that he's willing to wait this out. We have no farm and a ton of holes not exactly a great recipe for success. 

We have one of if not the best player in the world on our team. Arte has nothing but money, why cheap out now? As a fan it's just really frustrating.

11 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

The names we've seen so far attached to the Angels are Stephen Drew and Chase Utley. Unless Turner wants to play for free we can rule out the possibility of him becoming an Angel.

That's false. A couple different national writers have mentioned the Angels have check in on Turner. Did they say it was likely? No, but Turner's name has been attached to the Angels as much as Drew and Utley.

Just now, CanadianHalo said:

Because I so badly want to see this organization make a push to compete right now. Guys like Drew and Utley aren't going to help, to me that's just a sign that we're killing another year. 

I always thought Arte would be willing to spend his way out of the mess he created. Instead he's shown that he's willing to wait this out. We have no farm and a ton of holes not exactly a great recipe for success. 

We have one of if not the best player in the world on our team. Arte has nothing but money, why cheap out now? As a fan it's just really frustrating.

I agree with your frustrations. I do see the Angels spending money this offseason though, unlike many pundits. They just need to be smart. There really isn't a marquee name out there that fits what we need, so that's ok. But they added a solid left fielder, who should hold down the position. They need to add a backup. 

I'm not as sold on Bandy and Perez as the majority of the board so I can see them going for a free agent catcher like Wilson Ramos. Especially on a 1+1 deal for him to re-establish his value coming off an ACL tear. Nick Hundley is another option. 

They need to add a 2B, and they are looking, but I think that comes via trade instead of free agency. There are some pretty big names available at 2nd, via trade, but nearly no one of note via free agency.

They also need to build depth. So far that's come in minor league signings, but with a poor farm system, they have to restock somehow. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

If Turner is signed (big IF, but), if he is, does Escobar get traded or moved over to 2B since Turner is a very good 3B defensively. 

Escobar isn't going to 2B. That's been hashed over too many times and confirmed by the team. Turner either goes to 2B until Escobar is dealt or walks in '17, or until Turner proves he is unable to play 2B. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If Turner is signed (big IF, but), if he is, does Escobar get traded or moved over to 2B since Turner is a very good 3B defensively. 

I still don't know why we would cater to anything Escobar demands or prefers. He'd a 1 year rental at this point, whereas Turner is a long term solution.

Move to 2nd or see ya.

25 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Works for me -- our biggest needs are on in the run prevention department.   No name FA hitter will change that.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I still don't know why we would cater to anything Escobar demands or prefers. He'd a 1 year rental at this point, whereas Turner is a long term solution.

Move to 2nd or see ya.

Not to speak for Tots, but I think it would be less about catering to Escobar and more to do with a guy like Turner likely being the more capable defender at 2B.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Escobar isn't going to 2B. That's been hashed over too many times and confirmed by the team. Turner either goes to 2B until Escobar is dealt or walks in '17, or until Turner proves he is unable to play 2B. 

Pretty much the Angels would need a deal in place before signing Turner. I don't see a scenario where Turner and Escobar are on the roster at the same time, as easy as it would be for one of them to move to 2nd. One guy already says no(Escobar), the other isn't even on the roster or has mentioned anything about playing 2nd for a team.

Is Escobar (a former SS) really THAT bad defensively that he can't play 2B? 

IF we signed Turner I have no idea why Turner would be willing to move to 2B for a year. Either they move Escobar (which they've said they won't) or you trade him, you can't pay a guy like Turner big money then switch his position imo.

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Is Escobar (a former SS) really THAT bad defensively that he can't play 2B? 

IF we signed Turner I have no idea why Turner would be willing to move to 2B for a year. Either they move Escobar (which they've said they won't) or you trade him, you can't pay a guy like Turner big money then switch his position imo.

It's possible they have been trying to move Escobar, but the return wasn't worth it, as losing Escobar could still have a big effect on the offense and leadoff in particular. But they may not feel more inclined to take what they could get.

More unlikely, but they could also deal Cron and Turner, or possibly Escobar, could play 1B.

Turner may just be a team-first guy and be happy to stay in SoCal, and be fine with a year at 2B. Don't really know.

16 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not to speak for Tots, but I think it would be less about catering to Escobar and more to do with a guy like Turner likely being the more capable defender at 2B.

Saw his response after I posted my reply.

I very much see his point though I just see it creating problems if Turner struggles or Escobar struggles at 2nd. Both will be lobbying for 3rd as it is their preferred position.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Saw his response after I posted my reply.

I very much see his point though I just see it creating problems if Turner struggles or Escobar struggles at 2nd. Both will be lobbying for 3rd as it's is their preferred position.

Yeah, I think we would all see it the same way -- mostly I think there is something they have either seen in the metrics or mechanics that makes the Angels believe Escobar would be a complete disaster defensively at 2B. 

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah that's my thought. It'd be because Turner/the Angels feel he could be a 2B for now. 
They can deal or DFA Escobar at any time after that. 

If this is a possible reality for the Angels I still see the Giants as a team that could play Escobar at 3B for one year until Arroyo has progressed further. Nunez was really supposed to be the utility guy for them. I could still see a situation where we deal Yunel to SF and sign Turner. The difference in AAV for 2017 would be something like $11M-$13M tacked on which we can do to be honest. Would give us enough payroll left to trade for one of these 2B floating around at around $6M give or take. We'd only have a small amount left after that which I'm assuming we'd stop buying.

Long shot but defensively it makes so much sense to have Turner at 3B and someone like Cesar, Wong, or Garcia for instance at 2B.

When the Dodgers signed Hill the other day, I read it was the largest FA contract they had actually given up during Friedman's reign. $48m. 

There's a chance the Dodgers have low-balled him, or not offered more than three years, and Turner is interested in enough in staying in SoCal that he's up for playing 2B for a year, or even half a year. They could trade, bench, or DFA Escobar at any point in '17. It wouldn't be an obstacle. Or as I said, they'd now feel comfortable enough with the offense they may be willing to just salary dump Escobar now, whereas before they actually wanted a prospect of value.

Dodgers and White Sox still pair up well on a trade. Dodgers could have interest in Frazier, Quintana, and Robertson if they are legitmately worried about money. They could dish out prospects and get a starter, 3B, and closer without shelling out huge contracts.